Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Installed Spotify Linux desktop doesn't function. Why?

Solved!

Installed Spotify Linux desktop doesn't function. Why?

Hi:
I just added the spotify repository to my sources list, added the key, downloaded Spotify, installed it, opened Spotify,all from the command line. Everything worked, no  hassle.

I have Ubuntu 12.04  installed on an AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor × 4, 8gb Ram and 240 GB hard drive that is around 1/3 full. Have a built in  Audio and Video, nothing special. 

I've used internet radio before but wanted a desktop  application, so I chose Spotify because I heard good things about it. . 

So I was disappointed when, after starting Spotify, nothing functioned except the top lists-- no radio, no Discover, no browse, no search. What did work was getting the Spotify on the web to open, signing in (I was able to sign up from the desktop application). 

So, my question is "What is happening and why can't I search, browse, discover or see a list of radio stations to play from the desktop client? 

Any help is much appreciated. 

Thanks

Jobardu

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Solved. Hooray!

Under the preferences tab there is a "user interface" category which has "enable hardware acceleration" checked by default. I unchecked it based on the suggestions  for Windows command line users in other posts. 

Lo and behold, the radio, search and discover tabls all work and I am  happily listening to my music. I'm even thinking of subscribing but I want to give it a  few days to make sure it will continue to work. 

Perhaps this post will help others with similar problems on Linux Spotify. 

Jobadu

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Solved. Hooray!

Under the preferences tab there is a "user interface" category which has "enable hardware acceleration" checked by default. I unchecked it based on the suggestions  for Windows command line users in other posts. 

Lo and behold, the radio, search and discover tabls all work and I am  happily listening to my music. I'm even thinking of subscribing but I want to give it a  few days to make sure it will continue to work. 

Perhaps this post will help others with similar problems on Linux Spotify. 

Jobadu

Suggested posts