Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

Solved!

Linux Spotify client 1.x now in stable

In June 2015 we released version 1.x of the client for Linux in the testing repository.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Spotify-Client-1-x-beta-for-Linux-has-been-r...

The intention was to fix a few of the bigger issues and then quickly move this to stable. That never happened, since after September, we have had no developers working on the linux client. There are still lots of problem with this version of the client for linux, but we are now seeing much more problems with the old client.

Known linux specific issues in 1.0.23

Most of these we want to fix, but others (like missing tray icon) we probably won't. Link to threads with more issues you have and I will try to add them here. If you can't find your issue already reported, create a new thread and follow this troubleshooting guide for linux.

From now on, the idea is to first release a client to the testing repository as soon as possible, when it is ready internally, then after a week or so if we haven't discovered any serious new crash bug that affects lots of users, it will move to stable. Most of the time, a new linux release will have no linux specific changes, only the changes it shares with the mac and win clients.

Stable repository

To install a client from the stable repository follow the instructions on https://www.spotify.com/download/linux/

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

Testing repository

To install a client from the testing repository, follow the same instructions, but replace the word stable with testing.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

262 Replies

You know, at this point I don't even expect anything from you guys. Chromecast took you years to support, the mobile client is an atrocity in terms of performance, and the desktop clients aren't too impressive either (Windows). To admit that you haven't even had someone working on Linux for half a year, and that you don't even plan to dedicate resources to it is laughable, but somehow not surprising to me. 

But honestly: You wouldn't even have to hire someone. Make the Linux client open-source, or give us a decent API upon which desktop clients can be built. The community would take care of it - most likely even better than the half-assed effort (if you can even call it that) you have put in so far. But apparently that's not what you want either. 

I know a "threat" of leaving from some ordinary guy like me isn't exactly carrying much weight - just know that you indeed are losing customers to **bleep**ups like this. 

although i would also welcome a fully opensource client, i don't think it's possible.

1. the locally cached files are (i think) encrypted (ogg vorbis) and they won't opensource that. 

2. with an opensource client, they wouldn't be able to force adverts to non-paying customers. 

my wife is a really heavy spotify user (i barely use it to warrant a paid account) but she has to run a Windows version under Wine to get any kind of reliability. the only reason why she hasn't switched away yet is that she's unable to export her extensive playlists. 

my favourite features of the native linux version are how it locks up entire X server from time to time; how the window doesn't like being maximised and unmaximised (returning to previous dimensions); or how once i close the main window, i can still control it via my sound settings widget but i can never get the main window back. 

i often wonder how talented a person has to be to mess up chromium like that (spotify client is a cut down chromium browser with plugins). 

While I prefer not having a tray icon (is an outdated thing that needs to die), the status of the Linux client is something big enough to consider cancelling a premium subscription, something needs to be done in order to keep the Linux client healthy.

@greenfruitsalad wrote:

although i would also welcome a fully opensource client, i don't think it's possible.

1. the locally cached files are (i think) encrypted (ogg vorbis) and they won't opensource that. 

They should bring back libspotify then.

https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/libspotify/

this enables someone to create their own client, while still maintaining the encryption they need to make the RIAA happy. 

What do you use instead of a tray icon?

I've done my decision to jump from Windows to Linux as my daily driver, and this Spotify-situation is a bit worrisome to me. I use it a lot everyday. I really hope the situation would get better in the future.

By the way, is there even any other services with similar catalogue that has better Linux client?

Nothing.

To change/pause tracks I use my media keys (Fn+F4, Fn+F5 and Fn+F6)

I leave Spotify running in a workspace separate from my main work and I only focus that workspace when I want to pay attention to Spotify, I use GNOME, but when I am using Cinnamon or Unity I use the sound menu.

Hmm, my media keys didn't work, I'll have to investigate that. On a side note, how do you quote on this forum?

@MD8 wrote:

Hmm, my media keys didn't work, I'll have to investigate that. On a side note, how do you quote on this forum?

Oh, I get it, I clicked reply to your post and then I need to click the quote button over the text field.

What distro/desktop environment do you use? In my computer the only times they don't work is when I run plain Openbox. Full desktops work OK on any distro.

@SnowLeppard wrote:

Not sure if it's due to the missing tray icon, but Spotify doesn't show up at all on the task bar using Ubuntu with Cinnamon, so the only way to switch to the Spotify window is with alt+tab. I'll have to downgrade, it's unfortunate to go back to not having essential features like viewing the play queue, but the task bar issue if much too frustrating to put up with.

Edit: only just noticed there is a play queue in the older version!

This is probably a Cinnamon related issue, at least it is in Linux Mint. Solution from the Linux Mint forum:

Just found out that this was caused by having the setting "Show window thumbnails on hover" enabled in the Window list applet. This is the default setting with Cinnamon 2.8 but it appears to cause a slight issue with Spotify.

I disabled it and it's working normally again.

@eco_ek wrote:

not having a tray icon really sucks for me.

I can't even see the window on my Taskbar (using Linux Mint), so I have to ALT-Tab to Spotify once it is out of focus.

Please fix this. I'm a premium user, and considering to stop my premium subscription...

Solution from the Mint forum:

Just found out that this was caused by having the setting "Show window thumbnails on hover" enabled in the Window list applet. This is the default setting with Cinnamon 2.8 but it appears to cause a slight issue with Spotify.

I disabled it and it's working normally again.

This is very sad to hear.. I'm a premium customer as well.

I find the Linux beta client to work better than the Android one (which regularly **bleep**s up its database, also Marshmallow fiasco), and I say this with a rather uncommon usecase: using it exclusively with the touchscreen on a tablet. 

I don't need/want the rendundant menu and the outdated tray, butproper MPRIS support is vital, and currently that's pretty half assed..

Of all computing related communities the Linux one is probably one of the most powerful ones. There are tons of people willing collaborate and improve the client. Manpower is not an issue. But you Spotify have to open source the client for that to happen. Of course there needs to be a small proprietary library to handle DRM, but for everything else there doesn't exist a sane reason to keep it closed!

@AlexMex90 wrote:

Nothing.

To change/pause tracks I use my media keys (Fn+F4, Fn+F5 and Fn+F6)

I leave Spotify running in a workspace separate from my main work and I only focus that workspace when I want to pay attention to Spotify, I use GNOME, but when I am using Cinnamon or Unity I use the sound menu.

Media buttons and sound menu integration is dead on Spotify 1.x on KDE.

@hbayindir wrote:

Media buttons and sound menu integration is dead on Spotify 1.x on KDE.

That's what drove me here... 😉

Another "premium only because of the Linux Desktop client" user here... I always thought I would basically be the only one, but considering how many others already wrote in this thread in the last two days, either there are more Linux users than I imagined or all who are there already have posted on this thread... 😉

I'll probably downgrade to the previous client until the most basic features like media control buttons are fixed - hopefully the old client will still run for a while...

I am also a paying customer who uses the linux client. Please continue it!

great, it works for me too, thank you.

Hey guys, 5 months with no dev on linux version leaves me a bit worried.

So I have a spotify family subscription and the main reason why I did it is because we use linux and feel compeled to support a good service specially with a linux version.

The other interesting situation is that @ work everyone uses linux, and some got the premium cause of the Linux client.

If Linux has a small user base, so did spotify when it started and you proved everyone wrong, also you guys have all your servers on Debian and Ubuntu Server 14.04 so please give some back 🙂

Here is an idea Spotify should start using more linux desktops in house.

Keep up the work, dont give up on Linux client and please just hire a dev for the Client, everyone will be so happy.

Another premium linux spotify user here.

I'm having problems with a new 15.10 install. I can't login with facebook, The client takes me to a new blank browser window. Any solutions?

I am a PAYING user and expect support for my devices or i will unsub from the service...

How about an open Spotify client for Linux? 

Suggested posts