Media Keys Don't Work

Re: Media Keys Don't Work

Rising Star 8 ArtGravity
Rising Star 8

@MadMartian wrote:

Downgrading didn't work for me.

What version did you downgrade to?

I haven't had working media keys on Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS since version 1.0.89.313.g34a58dea-5

ArtGravityRising Star 8
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Rising Star 8 ArtGravity
Rising Star 8

Media keys still not working in Spotify for me with the following:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

Linux 4.4.0-141-generic #167-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 5 10:40:15 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

spotify 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b-12 30 stable spotify✓ -

Reverting to the snap below restores expected media key functions within Spotify.
spotify 1.0.89.313.g34a58dea-5 21 stable spotify✓ -

ArtGravityRising Star 8

MadMartian
Regular

1.0.89.313.g34a58dea-5 didn't work for me.

I also tried an earlier version that, I cannot remember which one specifically, but it was an early 2018 release.

Rising Star 8 ArtGravity
Rising Star 8

The following probably only serves to add to the mystery at this point.

I have a laptop with built in media keys that is running Debian Stretch and is on spotify 1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b-12 30 stable. Unlike my Ubunut Xenial laptop, it is not encountering any problem with the media keys. (The media keys on the Xenial laptop are on a Logitch K750 keyboard and they are still working with snap version 1.0.89.313.g34a58dea-5 refernced in my prior posts.)

ArtGravityRising Star 8

MadMartian
Regular

The new update 1:1.0.94.262.g3d5c231c-9 responds to media keys but incorrectly and is still unusable:

• Stop - Pauses instead (play button should double as play/pause)
  • Prev Track - Previous track as expected
  • Play - Next track instead
  • Next Track - Does nothing

AcrylicNick
Casual Listener

I upgraded to a newer version of the spotify-client this morning. Media keys still don't work. However, they do work as expected for RhythmBox. And, they did work(for several years with no issues) with the linux spotify client.

Here is the version I just upgraded too(via apt):

nick.parry@nparry-laptop1:~$ dpkg -l | grep spotify
ii  spotify-client                              1:1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b-12                     amd64        Spotify streaming music client

Let me know if there is any other info that you need from me. Thanks.

rjbruintjes
Regular

I'm on Spotify 1.0.98.78.gb45d2a6b-10 (using snap candidate channel) on Ubuntu 16.04. Same problem: media keys don't work.

1 person liked this

MadMartian
Regular

The problem for these bizzare key mappings was on my end, for some reason my key mappings were borked.  This did not affect other media players like RhythmBox, Amarok or Clementine, just Spotify.  In KDE, I corrected the mappings found under Global Keyboard Shortcuts / Media Controller and now Spotify is responding to media keys as expected.

media-controller-global-keyboard-shortcuts.pngGlobal Keyboard Shortcuts / Media Controller

poq
Casual Listener

Spotify Linux version:

1.0.96.181.gf6bc1b6b

On Ubuntu 16:04

Media keys still have no effect.

I've tried re-assigning the global shortcuts as suggested with no difference.

1 person liked this

navnav
Casual Listener

I spoke to Spotify support again today, just asking for an update on the fix for this.

They claimed to not know anything about the bug! Even though the last person I spoke to told me that their developers were aware of it and were working on a fix. After pointing this out, they resorted back to the 'Linux is not oficially supported' line.

I've been a premium member for years and I *only* use Linux. This issue is really frustrating and now I have no idea when/if it will be sorted.

I'll try contacting support again at a later date - maybe it was just this particular agent.

SUGGESTED POSTS