Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No internet detected in Linux app only

No internet detected in Linux app only

Hi,

I have Spotify version 1.1.42.622.gbd112320 on Debian 10.6 stable. All of a sudden Spotify lost its ability to play songs: "No internet connection detected... (error code:4)". However it has enough internet to log me in. Playing on the web browser version works fine, as well as the iPhone app. The problems is there on several networks.

I tried the remedies mentioned in similar threads on here. I restarted Spotify, reinstalled it, deleted all the cache/config files under  ~/.cache/spotify and ~/.config/spotify  to no avail.

I would be very grateful for any advice on this!

7 Replies

Having the same issue for a couple of years (and I see we are not alone as this error has been reported for years). Is it planned for the Spotify team to fix this?

It's kinda annoying to see error code 4 when you can browse internet just fine on the side.

Thanks!

Hello !

it's the same for me, error 4 after login. I'm connected to internet by Wifi and it's working well.

Settings :

Spotify Premium

Version : 1.1.42.622.gbd112320

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Kernel: Linux 5.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

Same for me. Flatpak is working fine, however system integration is not so good with that version. Both versions are the same 1.1.42.622.gbd112320 (as you have). 

Attaching a screenshot on the left side there is native app, on the right there is flatpak version. Any idea what could be the cause? 

spotify_native_vs_flatpak.png

Same issue, it's been happening for a while. I'm getting the issue on both the AUR and snap version.

Using Manjaro KDE, Linux Kernel 5.9, spotify version 1.1.46.916.g416cacf1

Also getting an error 4, have tried clearing the cache, and reinstalling. Mainly happens when I'm connected to NordVPN - which it shouldn't because I'm in the UK using a UK server. The problem only started happening in the last month.

Linux version: Linux 5.4.0-58-generic

Spotify version: 1.1.42.622.gbd112320

PS. even this page was broken while using Firefox 84.0.1 and got stuck in a page reload loop - had to switch to Chromium. What is going on Spotify??

Update: I've been in touch with Spotify customer support about this. They were keen to help until they found that I am using Linux. Spotify does not offer customer support to Linux users, and community boards is all we have.

Basically, by paying the same subscription fee as Windows users, we are paying for their customer service that we don't get.

I'm seeing similar problems on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. What I've discovered is that when Spotify think's I'm disconnected, NetworkManager thinks network connectivity is "limited". This shows as the network icon in the SysTray being replaced by a question mark. It basically means that my LAN connectivity should work, but not Internet as such. However, my Internet connectivity is just fine. When NetworkManager finally finds out that the Internet connectivity indeed is fine, it changes its SysTray icon back to the network icon. When that happens, Spotify also starts working again.

NetworkManager is really just a thin shim on top of systemd here, so I suspect a (one or more) bug(s) in the latter. (What a surprise...)

There is a command, nmcli, which regular users can run, that among other things can check networking connectivity. When you run it as "nmcli networking connectivity" it reports what NetworkManager (and thus systemd) thinks is the status, it says "limited" when Spotify doesn't work and "full" when it does.

When you run it as "nmcli networking connectivity check" it performs a full re-check of the connectivity. If it thought it was "limited" it will usually return to "full" as a side effect of performing the check, so running "nmcli networking connectivity check" in a shell usually makes your Spotify work again. If it doesn't, try again a few times and it will eventually get it right.

Suggested posts