Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problem with Authentication / Offline Mode

Solved!

Problem with Authentication / Offline Mode

Plan

Premium

Country

Portugal

Device

Laptop

Operating System

Debian 5.10.24 x86_64 GNU/Linux (Parrot OS)

Browser

Firefox 87.0 (64-bit)

My Question or Issue

2 days ago I opened Spotify and was greeted with the blue box on the bottom left corner of the window saying "Offline". I was busy and didn't want to waste time debugging it so I just opened the web app and used Spotify through there.

Today I decided to take a look at it. I thought about uninstalling and reinstalling so I did it. When I opened it again I was greeted with the Login screen, so I clicked the button, got redirected to my browser where I inserted my account credentials and got redirected to a page confirming the authentication.

But I didn't  get authenticated. I first found it odd because I was expecting the browser to issue and xdg-open command, which it didn't and my suspicion was confirmed when I returned back to the Spotify app and nothing happened.

I decided to try to find out what was going on, so I simulated the authentication again. I inserted my credentials and, while monitoring the network activity of the authentication tab, I pressed the "Continue to the App" button. In the network traffic there was a GET request to a local server.

CaptRondo_0-1618572858500.png

I investigated with netstat and sure enough, it's Spotify...

CaptRondo_1-1618572912900.png

Keep in mind that I'm using privacy add-ons, but that shouldn't prevent anything as I have joined zoom meetings through the browser with no problem.

In fact, I this problem only surfaced 2 days ago and I've had these add-ons for quite a while.

Also, I have access to the authentication code, is there a way to send a signal to spotify to

PS: I have tried disabling the add-ons and still can't authenticate.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Well it's solved.... I don't know what happened. I didn't open Spotify through the terminal in the session it got fixed so I couldn't tell you what happened.. I was pressing keys cause 90% of the time that's what leads to a problem and I pressed the sleep button. When I logged back on it was working.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

I have dug a bit into the "spotify" command and it's --username and --password arguments and managed to log in again. But now I'm in the same situation. I enabled --console-show and I'll put here some info that might be interesting.

CaptRondo_0-1618574182300.png

First error (red message)

CaptRondo_1-1618574296100.png

Here it seems lit it's trying to go online but

CaptRondo_2-1618574395200.png

Something crashes and it goes offline

Now the only thing it seems lit it's doing is sending pings and listening to pongs:

aq: LWS got LWS_CALLBACK_CLIENT_WRITEABLE
aq: LWS got LWS_CALLBACK_CLIENT_RECEIVE_PONG

I really don't understand anything that is going on in the console, so maybe if a Spotify dev could take a look at it I could solve my issue.

Seems like this first problem was with my firewall, lol, and is now solved, but now I'm still stuck in the offline mode.

Hey @CaptRondo 

Is there anything in your hosts file, like a Spotify-related address?

That could probably break something like that.

Do you also make use of any proxies / VPN?

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I only have localhost stuff in there and I don't use proxies. This only started happening 2 days ago and I've changed nothing in the meanwhile.

I just noticed something strange... take a look

CaptRondo_0-1618585190800.png

It's even updating the current track in real time... so strange

Marked as solution

Well it's solved.... I don't know what happened. I didn't open Spotify through the terminal in the session it got fixed so I couldn't tell you what happened.. I was pressing keys cause 90% of the time that's what leads to a problem and I pressed the sleep button. When I logged back on it was working.

@CaptRondo 

This does look weird...

Just to try, what happens when you launch Spotify like that:

spotify --ap=194.132.196.162

...And I'm glad it's working now for you. 😄

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Well, that seems to somewhat emulate what was happening before. Although before I wasn't even able to browse spotify and with that command I can, even with the annoying "Offline" warnings

Suggested posts