Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Recent linux client update changes

Recent linux client update changes

Hi there!

We have a quick update for Linux users. 

We recently updated the signing key for Linux client upgrades. Linux users on recent version shouldn't notice anything--but users on older versions will need to manually add the new key.

Adding the key is as easy as performing step 1 described at https://www.spotify.com/se/download/linux/.

At that link you can find a build of Spotify for Linux. We are running this ourselves and we will try to make sure it keeps pace with its Mac and Windows siblings. However, this version is unsupported. You can tell us what you think and ask other users for help at The Spotify Community.

Spotify for Linux is released as a Debian package. Our aim is that it should work with the latest Long Term Support release of Ubuntu, but we will try to make it work for other releases of Ubuntu and Debian as well.

57 Replies

@tokkopako wrote:

Could you elaborate how to do this or maybe provide the package? I'm currently trying to get spotify working on i386 machine.

Not sure exactly what you're referring to, but if it's regarding my post from

JSJB Regular ‎2018-07-22 11:41 PM  to create a spotify package independent of libcurl3 package:

1. create a tmp directory named spotify client

2.  ar xvf  <orig spotify-client package>    # will create subdirs DEBIAN and usr

3. extract contents of orig libcurl3 package to:

spotify-client => /bin/ls usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/spotify/
libcurl.so.3 libcurl.so.4 libcurl.so.4.5.0

4.  create the script spotify.sh in usr/share/spotify/spotify.sh

#!/bin/bash -x
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/spotify
exec /usr/share/spotify/spotify

[/usr/bin/spotify will be a symlink to this script]

5. edit DEBIAN/control with a new version for your spotify-client

6. run  debuild to build your new spotify-client debian package, which will now include a private copy of the libcurl3 library and a script that makes spotify use that instead of libcurl4.

Further details on creating your own debian package:

https://debian-administration.org/article/336/Rolling_your_own_Debian_packages_part_1

I think you could bless the Linux users if you could open source the linux client (but preserve the proprierty core)

Thanks for the instructions though I used dpkg-deb to extract and build the packages as I was more familiar with it. I still faced a problem: Despite setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH Spotify still tries to seek CURL_OPENSSL_3 from libcurl.so.4 in the normal library path. Any idea how to get around it?

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/spotify

@tokkopako wrote:
... Despite setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH Spotify still tries to seek CURL_OPENSSL_3 from libcurl.so.4 in the normal library path. Any idea how to get around it?

Did you export LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as above, and set it to just that one dir?

I didn't have any problem with this. Perhaps there's another setting to find the shared libraries that I'm not using in my system but maybe yours is.

Did you export LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as above, and set it to just that one dir?

I didn't have any problem with this. Perhaps there's another setting to find the shared libraries that I'm not using in my system but maybe yours is.

Yes, I copied the script straight from your post. Even tried typing it manually before the command and launching spotify without the script but no luck. Just to be sure, could you tell your spotify version?

I made my changes off the 1:1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73-35  spotify-client version.
CCan you check your shared library path to see how this is finding libcurl4?

FFrom the ld.so man page:

o Using the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH, unless the executable is being run in secure-execution mode (see below), in which case this vari-
able is ignored.

=> apt-cache policy spotify-client spotify-client: Installed: 1:1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73-35-js Candidate: 1:1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73-35-js Version table: *** 1:1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73-35-js 400 400 copy:/usr3/Installs/DEB ./ Packages 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status 1:1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73-35 500 500 http://repository.spotify.com stable/non-free i386 Packages 500 http://repository.spotify.com testing/non-free i386 Packages

Alright, case closed. I was stupid and downloaded amd64 package for libcurl3. Now to build a new package which hopefully works... Thanks for the help!

You mean you are actually building the client from source?

If so: if ever you notice that LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't have the intended effect for a given library, find out what component(s) link to that library and then make certain that those are linked with the `--enable-new-dtags` flag. That should be the default nowadays but surprises are possible.

@RJVB wrote:
You mean you are actually building the client from source?

No, just extracting the package contents and then adding libcurl3 to the mix and bash script to point to the libcurl3 and putting the package back together. Could be done manually in the system folders but this makes it easier to handle if one needs to update or remove it later.

good morning! I'm new here and i have a problem with Spotify.    

I can't find a version avalaible for my ubuntu 18.10, 32 bit.    

How i can fix this?   

Please help me!

Add these lines to /etc/apt/sources.list (they will be added when spotify is installed in sources.d):

deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free
deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free

I have copied the lines on the terminal but it appears to me "permission denied". Why?

you need to be root to edit /etc/apt/sources.list and add these lines to it.

Then you have to run

apt-get update

to refresh the package lists from the repositories, including spotify now.

At this point,

apt-cache policy spotify-client 

should show the client to install.

[once you've installed spotify-client, it will add a spotify.list file to /etc/apt/sources.d/ directory and you can remove the two lines you added to sources.list]

to be root. Right, how?

You should read the basics of system admin for your distribution to learn  how to get root priviliges and update your system.

Is this a shared system that someone else administers? Only root can normally install and configure new packages. If you're not the admin you won't be able to do this.

Look also at: https://www.spotify.com/us/download/linux/

I can recommend using the link provided , i have installed Spotify using this method on numerous Linux distros. If you are running Ubuntu you shouldn't need to be root for installation

My version of distro is Xubuntu. Maybe i can't be root for security reason. Is possible?

You can install Spotify by editing your sources list which is why you would need to be root , but since you are running Xubuntu which is a flavour of Ubuntu you should be able to install using the software centre which is called Gnome Software in the application menu

Suggested posts