Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 0.9.11 for GNU/Linux

Solved!

Spotify 0.9.11 for GNU/Linux

Hi, fellow penguin fans!

Today we've pushed version 0.9.11.26 of the Linux desktop client to our public repo. Just update your system!

General release notes: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Release-Notes-Spotify-for-Desktop-0-9-11/...

Linux specific changes:

- collectionCache.bnk is no longer written to $HOME

Known issues:

- It still doesn't work to drag from an HTML5 view to a legacy view (such as the sidebar).

- On first start, the HTML5 views may not appear (just empty black views), try restarting the app if it happens

- Some users have reported problems with the new track change notifications. If you experience problems, you can start the client with "spotify --ui.track_notifications_enabled=false", or you can edit the file called ~/.config/spotify/Users/<your-spotify-username>-user/prefs and add a line with "ui.track_notifications_enabled=false". Sorry for not having this option available in the UI.

- No 32-bit build is available

- This build is not compatible with debian squeeze or wheezy

If you don't already have the Linux client installed, install like this:

# 1. Add our repository. As root or with sudo, create
#    a file called /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list and add
#    "deb http://repository.spotify.com/stable non-free" to it.
#    Here's a one-liner:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://repository.spotify.com/stable non-free" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list'

# 2. If you want to verify the downloaded packages,
#    you will need to add our public key
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 94558F59

# 3. Run apt-get update
sudo apt-get update

# 4. Install spotify!
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

You don't have a debian based system? Well, it's still possible to get things running. Either you convert the debian package to something else using alien, or you can just download and extract the stuff you need from the package. There is no need to install the client, it can be run from anywhere.

# 1. Get the right filename
SPOTIFY_DEB=http://repository-origin.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/spotify-client_0.9.11.26.g995ec04.78-1_`uname -m | sed s/x86_64/amd64/ | sed s/i686/i386/`.deb

# 2. Download the package
wget repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/$SPOTIFY_DEB

# 3. Extract the required parts
ar p $SPOTIFY_DEB data.tar.gz | tar -zx --strip-components=3 ./opt/spotify/spotify-client

# 4. Go in to the extracted folder
cd spotify-client

# 5. Setup symlinks to libs (NOTE: this script assumes Fedora 17, edit to suit your needs)
./linklibs-fedora.sh

# 6. Optionally register icons and menu item
#    Note: for the menu item to work, you need to ensure
#    spotify is in your $PATH, either by symlinking
#    it from /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, or by adding
#    the spotify-client folder to your $PATH
./register.sh

368 Replies

Oh, ok. I'll be waiting. 🙂

Nailed the blank screen issue for me - thanks.

Spotify for Linux works really fine for me so far. *thumbs up*

The only thing i'm missing is the "availible offline button" for playlist. This button/switch appears after I've made a playlist availible offline trough the "more"-menu (the three dots-button), but before it doesn't show.

Is this the intended behavior?

Didnt find any linux-specific thread about this issue (if it is an issue).

BTW: Spotify for Linux appears to work much faster than on Windows. Even if i start to play an uncached Song that I've never played before in Spotify, Playback starts immediately withput any noticeable lag. Keep this!

Well, it's not for me:

• The build uses old libraries;
  • It does not work on Wayland at all;
  • There is no Spotify Connect implemented; not even in the Beta build;
  • There is no option to run it headless (without Xorg).

there is no down load option wth linux please fix this.

do you mean offline mode or download on the sense of downloading the app for linux?

thats strange, for me offline mode works as usualspotify linux preview

the prob is there is no download option to select  from the drop down menu.  My android tablets have that option and work as they should.

Ok, now the "Availible Offline"-Switch appears instantly if I follow a new List or, for albums, add them to my libary.

But before I downloaded the first playlist on my linux machine, it wasn't there. I had to download the first one from the "..."-menu.

I don't now anything about the sourcecode, but I could imagine that it's git something to do with toggling this element from default (free-user) "invisible"-state to visible state.

Same thing happened to me  so no using the availible offline option takes care of the prob.  would just be easier to just have a download option on the drop down menu but now this works so it fine

SInce everybody is talking about their problems, mine is that "liking" a song on the radio skips it.

Hello. Since last night my Spotify have a really irritant problem. When I open the client and start to browse, the all system just freezes and it shows a black screen. Mouse and keyboard do not work. This problem only happens when I'm using Spotify.

Xubuntu. 14.10 64 bits

Spotify 0.9.11.27

AeZ9b.png

Radio stopped working on me in Linux this morning

It just displays rotating thing, nothing loads, I cannot start radio. I deleted all the caches in ~/.cache/spotify and ~/.config/spotify, still getting just a rotating thing

I have put  STDOUT/STDERR here (all I did was turning the spotify app on, clicked on "hide" on the right suggestion panel, clicked on "Radio" link on the left, and then closed the app)

https://gist.github.com/runn1ng/9196058b3123fae33e77

Hope that helps

I will add that the rest of the app seems to work

oh, and I am using ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I tried a second, non-Facebook Spotify account I have and I still can't access the radio

Hi,

My apt-get says that I'm already to the newest version with 0.9.4. So I tried to completely removing spotify from my system (Linux Mint 17.1) and reinstall (following the instructions) but it installed the same version. Am I doing something wrong? How can I get to 0.9.11?

I joined in attachment a screenshot of my About Spotify window.

Thanks!

Screenshot from 2015-02-18 08:31:17.png

its probably because you are on a 32bit installation, 0.9.11 is out for 64bit installations only, theres no 32 bit version of 0.9.11 yet.
and probably wont be one until 1.0

Yeah I'm on a 32bits... that's too bad.... [?]

Thanks for replying quickly!

Suggested posts