Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 0.9.11 for GNU/Linux

Solved!

Spotify 0.9.11 for GNU/Linux

Hi, fellow penguin fans!

Today we've pushed version 0.9.11.26 of the Linux desktop client to our public repo. Just update your system!

General release notes: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Release-Notes-Spotify-for-Desktop-0-9-11/...

Linux specific changes:

- collectionCache.bnk is no longer written to $HOME

Known issues:

- It still doesn't work to drag from an HTML5 view to a legacy view (such as the sidebar).

- On first start, the HTML5 views may not appear (just empty black views), try restarting the app if it happens

- Some users have reported problems with the new track change notifications. If you experience problems, you can start the client with "spotify --ui.track_notifications_enabled=false", or you can edit the file called ~/.config/spotify/Users/<your-spotify-username>-user/prefs and add a line with "ui.track_notifications_enabled=false". Sorry for not having this option available in the UI.

- No 32-bit build is available

- This build is not compatible with debian squeeze or wheezy

If you don't already have the Linux client installed, install like this:

# 1. Add our repository. As root or with sudo, create
#    a file called /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list and add
#    "deb http://repository.spotify.com/stable non-free" to it.
#    Here's a one-liner:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://repository.spotify.com/stable non-free" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list'

# 2. If you want to verify the downloaded packages,
#    you will need to add our public key
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 94558F59

# 3. Run apt-get update
sudo apt-get update

# 4. Install spotify!
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

You don't have a debian based system? Well, it's still possible to get things running. Either you convert the debian package to something else using alien, or you can just download and extract the stuff you need from the package. There is no need to install the client, it can be run from anywhere.

# 1. Get the right filename
SPOTIFY_DEB=http://repository-origin.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/spotify-client_0.9.11.26.g995ec04.78-1_`uname -m | sed s/x86_64/amd64/ | sed s/i686/i386/`.deb

# 2. Download the package
wget repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/$SPOTIFY_DEB

# 3. Extract the required parts
ar p $SPOTIFY_DEB data.tar.gz | tar -zx --strip-components=3 ./opt/spotify/spotify-client

# 4. Go in to the extracted folder
cd spotify-client

# 5. Setup symlinks to libs (NOTE: this script assumes Fedora 17, edit to suit your needs)
./linklibs-fedora.sh

# 6. Optionally register icons and menu item
#    Note: for the menu item to work, you need to ensure
#    spotify is in your $PATH, either by symlinking
#    it from /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, or by adding
#    the spotify-client folder to your $PATH
./register.sh

368 Replies

well the first message mention theres still no 32bit build but i can understand why you got confused about apt reporting an update. i came across a similar situation some weeks ago, AUR notifiy me of a new update so i tried to update but all i got was the current version to be reinstalled, so i check the pkgbuild and find out there was no 32bit build.

....Radio magically started working again. If you fixed that somehow, thanks. If not, it's great anyway

Mine didn't notified me. I just saw that version 0.9.11 was available, so I tried to update my system.

Thanks for your help

Marked as solution

Spotify segfaults after ~50sec when playing music if gtk+-2.24.26 is installed. Downgrading to gtk+-2.24.25-r1 resolves this.

[ 6564.483737] spotify[26506]: segfault at 7f6ddaad1dd0 ip 00007f6ddaad1dd0 sp 00007fff247c1878 error 14
[ 6564.483775] audit: type=1701 audit(1424437880.831:10): auid=1000 uid=1000 gid=1000 ses=1 subj=kernel pid=26506 comm="spotify" exe="/opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify" sig=11

Spotify segfaults after ~50sec when playing music if gtk+-2.24.26 is installed. Downgrading to gtk+-2.24.25-r1 resolves this.

Can confirm this

Downgrading to 2.24.25-1 solved the segfault problem for me too. Thanks.

Can confirm the segmentation fault. I ran 'strace spotify' so developers have more information of what causes this crash and attached the output.

I also confirm that downgrading GTK on Arch Linux helps.

Same here. Downgrading solves the issue. 

Any word on an update so this workaround hopefully wont be necessary for long?

Again, confirming that spotify is segfaulting every time it's open for more than a minute when gtk2 > 2.24.25 is installed.

Downgrading and holding gtk2 at 2.24.25 is a really temporary fix. I hope this actually gets the attention of the linux client developers!

Will for sure be fixed when v 1.0 is released for Linux. Don't expect any fixes to the current version. BTW: Ubuntu is the only officially supported distro by the Linux devs.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

The Linux desktop client in the repo. for linux 32 bit i386 is very old. It's not updated since year 2013, and the version is 0.9.4.183.

Index of /pool/non-free/s/spotify/

spotify-client_0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-1_i386.deb   10-Oct-2013 08:41            41740148

Please can update it?

Thanks

Same here, the Spotify client crashes after a maximum of about one minute. Starting offline doesn't help, even doing nothing in the client doesn't change this.

After downgrading from 2.24.26 to 2.24.25 it's up and running again, thanks for the hint!

It would be really nice to see a new build of the client ... as a premium user, I'd like to see at least *some* support for the best OS. 😉

Same here.

in the meantime awaiting for the 1.0 build i ditched the official client and using it only for adding tracks to my playlist. and using ncmpcpp for playing.

Well, that's strange in my eyes. As far as I know, ncmpcpp is no player at all, but an mpd client. Means, it's a front-end to any headless player that's talking the mpd protocol.

If you use that for playing Spotify music, I guess it would help us more, if you tell us about the player you use. The original mpd is not able to do that as far as I know. So what are you using?

its because ncmpcpp does not use the regular mpd for spotify, but mopidy, a mpd protocol compatible media server for streaming from spotify.
Now, this, obviously only work on Premium accounts.S
its really simple. you only need, mopidy [https://www.mopidy.com/] and a extension of mopidy called mopidy-spotify [https://github.com/mopidy/mopidy-spotify, then create a file on ~/.config/mopidy/mopidy.conf with the following

[spotify]
enabled = true
username = spotify-username
password = password

and thats it, start mopidy and then ncmpcpp, and it will show your playlists, you can play music but not searching spotify database from it.(so no adding new tracks to the playlist, you need to do that on either the client, wine client or web player)

Click here for fullsize image 

screenshot

Thank you for figuring that out!

I just want to add that this solution needs premium subscription, so free and unlimited users are left out.

anything involving playing music outside the default player requires a Premium sub.
thats because only the default player has ad support.  but having mopidy support its a big perk for buying premiun, as not only ncmpcpp can connect to it,  but virtually anything that has MPD support.

@Muskratt wrote:

anything involving playing music outside the default player requires a Premium sub.
thats because only the default player has ad support.  but having mopidy support its a big perk for buying premiun, as not only ncmpcpp can connect to it,  but virtually anything that has MPD support.

Thanks for giving more details about this. I know that premium is needed. This is the decision that Spotify made, so that's the way it goes. Their game, their rules. But your explanation can't be the real reason. I have "unlimited" subscription, so I don't have ads at all, nevertheless this feature is not open to me. The real reason for that is more something like: "You want that feature? Well, then pay up."

But after all, my statement was no complaint. I just added this info so anybody reading this knows the limitations before trying and failing.

Suggested posts