Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes when playing local files (linux)

Solved!

Spotify crashes when playing local files (linux)

Hi! I'm a regular user of Spotify, and I have recently quit using Windows (I hope forever!) to only use Linux. I see there's at last a desktop app for Linux! This is a start! 

Anyway, I use lots of local music, because it's not available in Spotify yet. However there's a problem when I try to play local files. The application immediately crashes and shuts down. This didn't happen in Windows. Just if this might help, the unit in which this music is stored uses the NTFS file system, inherited from Windows.

Any idea on this? Is it a bug?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yes, any crash is a bug. Local files on a modern linux desktop environment does not work well. The crash bug was fixed in 1.0.42, so if you see immediate crashes when trying to play local files in versions after that it is a different bug.

After 1.0.42 the linux client doesn't crash. However, it still doesn't play local files unless you install older versions of the ffmpeg libraries. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Local-files-don-t-play/m-p/1507584...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Yes, any crash is a bug. Local files on a modern linux desktop environment does not work well. The crash bug was fixed in 1.0.42, so if you see immediate crashes when trying to play local files in versions after that it is a different bug.

After 1.0.42 the linux client doesn't crash. However, it still doesn't play local files unless you install older versions of the ffmpeg libraries. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Local-files-don-t-play/m-p/1507584...

It worked like a charm! Thanks a lot!

I had a previous version of Spotify (the one available in the Linux Mint package manager). Upgraded it and also followed the instructions provided in the link and it works! 

Best regards!

Suggested posts