Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify vs VPN

Solved!

Spotify vs VPN

Hi,

On my Fedora 25 machine, Spotify has suddenly stopped working over one of my VPNs (NL based). I get "No internet connection detected... (error code:4)".

If I reconnect to another UK based VPN, it works fine. If I connect to the same NL VPN on my Android phone, Spotify works on there.

Obviously, everything else on the Fedora machine works okay over this VPN.

Is it some kind of region blocking on the desktop client? What does the desktop client actually connect to (i.e. a URL I can check)?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This turned out to be DNS configuration so mostly my fault.

I had two DNS servers configured and the additional one wasn't reachable anymore. This mainly just slowed DNS resolution down for everything else on my machine but for some reason, prevented Spotify connecting completely.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hey @benjanyan,

Unfortunately Spotify officially doesn't support the use of Spotify with VPNs so I don't think that's something I'll be able to help you out with.

Thanks.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Marked as solution

This turned out to be DNS configuration so mostly my fault.

I had two DNS servers configured and the additional one wasn't reachable anymore. This mainly just slowed DNS resolution down for everything else on my machine but for some reason, prevented Spotify connecting completely.

Cheers.

You can also try to flushing your DNS. This just worked for me.

Linux: 

sudo systemd-resolved --flush-caches && sudo systemctl restart systemd-resolved.service

macOS:

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache && sudo killall -HUP mDNSRespondering

For reference to people getting here from searches... in my case, connectivity issues within the Spotify app using a VPN were solved by connecting to a server with a different protocol, e.g. IKE or SSL server protocol instead of OpenVPN or Nordlynx

Suggested posts