Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Troubleshooting] Linux Spotify

Solved!

[Troubleshooting] Linux Spotify

Having trouble with Spotify on your Desktop app? Here’s what to try first.

• Search the Community

Someone might have asked your question on the Community before.
So type your issue into the search box and have a look.

• Basic troubleshooting

Go through these steps one at a time. They can help you solve most issues on your own.

1. Clear Spotify cache
killall spotify
rm -rf $HOME/.cache/spotify/Storage

2 Check this thread for troubleshooting connection issues.

3 Ask a friend or family member to sign into Spotify on your Desktop. See if the issue is persisting on their account too. If yes, the issue is the device and can likely be solved with more troubleshooting.
4. Change settings within the app: Sync quality, Stream Quality, Gapless Playback, Crossfade. See if a different combination of these settings makes a difference.

• Advanced troubleshooting 

1. Is spotify starting normally?

spotify

1. Can you play a sound?

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

2. Is the system recognizing your sound card?

aplay -l

3. Is Spotify running on prefered sound card? Change between sound cards in gnome/unity control center.

unity-control-center sound
gnome-control-center sound

4. Nothing works so far? Report your issue!

spotify >$HOME/spotify-dump.txt 2>&1

or

strace spotify > $HOME/spotify-dump 2>&1
  • Report your issue

We’ll need as much information as you can provide. So filling in this template is helpful:

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

1. Your device and operating system:
  2. Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium):
  3. The app version of Spotify you’re using:
  4. Brief description of the issue:
  5. Steps to reproduce the issue:

• First I did this
  • Then I did that
  • I also did this

6. Attach the spotify-dump.txt ( $HOME/spotify-dump.txt ) from Advanced troubleshooting 4.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Known issues : 

Error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.11 - fix debian / fix ubuntu.

Spotify on Linux doesn't play local mp3 files - fix.

Tips :

Add Spotify's testing repository:

echo deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

Install Spotify 0.9.17

sudo apt-get install spotify-client-0.9.17

Some information and template is taken from here.

Linux is not officialy supported by Spotify.

151 Replies

@gvl wrote:

I'm powering off my Lubuntu machine with a physical power button (shutdown -P) and Spotify doesn't save the last volume level setting. iirc the shutdown sequence sends a signal (SIGTERM ?) to all running processes telling them to die and it seems that Spotify doesn't save the volume when it exits afer catching that signal. Anyone knows if there is a signal I can send during shutdown to make Spotify save the volume level before it exits? This machine doesn't have a monitor attached to it, so can't close the app interactively. Perhaps I can add a shutdown hook to close it via the windowing system basically simulating a mouse click. Any other ideas?

I think it is reasonable to expect that a program should exit gracefully on SIGTERM. If it doesn't do that, it should be considered a bug and be fixed. I will try to see if I can fix it. There is also a different way to shutdown down the client and that is to send Quit to Spotify's MPRIS D-Bus interface, but that is not implemented either, which should also be fixed.

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/mpris-spec/latest/Media_Player.html#Method:Quit

is there any way to disable the dynamic window title? i mean the feature that replaces the window title for the song and artist playing, my theme have no icons for the taskbar and i prefer the app to simply say Spotify Premium like it used to do on the 0.9.X version.

@Muskratt wrote:

is there any way to disable the dynamic window title? i mean the feature that replaces the window title for the song and artist playing, my theme have no icons for the taskbar and i prefer the app to simply say Spotify Premium like it used to do on the 0.9.X version.

In the meantime xdotool can set window title ... which is a hack, of course, but it's possible. 🙂

Am I missing an easy way to find the changelog for the Linux client? Changes are always welcome but I never know what they are.

I can't login to my premium account from my app (both on the newest version and 0.9.17) on my ubuntu 14.04. I tried both login via facebook and email but to no avail (gave out Error Code 7 and 2 respectively). Prior to that I deleted my cache directory because I changed my download quality options on settings to Extreme Quality and I wanted to re-download all my songs on that quality. This however doesn't happen on my Android phone, since I can login very well on my phone even though I also deleted the cache. And I also can login via the desktop web.

spotify-dump.txt :

[0212/190620:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(752)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
[0212/190620:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(752)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
Created new window in existing browser session.
[0212/190644:ERROR:PlatformKeyboardEvent.cpp(94)] Not implemented reached in static bool blink::PlatformKeyboardEvent::currentCapsLockState()
[0212/190649:ERROR:PlatformKeyboardEvent.cpp(94)] Not implemented reached in static bool blink::PlatformKeyboardEvent::currentCapsLockState()
[0212/190649:ERROR:PlatformKeyboardEvent.cpp(94)] Not implemented reached in static bool blink::PlatformKeyboardEvent::currentCapsLockState()

log when I run spotify on terminal and tried to login :

12:44:47.531 E [rpc_connection.cpp:1206         ] Socket error 103
12:44:56.373 I [offline_authorizer.cpp:278      ] Unable to login offline: no such user
12:44:57.497 E [rpc_connection.cpp:1206         ] Socket error 103
12:45:05.153 I [ap_connection_impl.cpp:901      ] Connecting to AP sjc1-accesspoint-a40.ap.spotify.com:4070
12:45:10.153 E [ap_connection_impl.cpp:837      ] AP Socket Error: Timeout reached (20000)
12:45:10.153 E [ap_handler_impl.cpp:872         ] Connection error:  ap_tcp_socket_timeout
12:45:10.153 I [ap_connection_impl.cpp:901      ] Connecting to AP sjc1-accesspoint-a52.ap.spotify.com:443
12:45:15.154 E [ap_connection_impl.cpp:837      ] AP Socket Error: Timeout reached (20000)
12:45:15.154 E [ap_handler_impl.cpp:872         ] Connection error:  ap_tcp_socket_timeout
12:45:15.154 I [ap_connection_impl.cpp:901      ] Connecting to AP sjc1-accesspoint-a68.ap.spotify.com:80
12:45:20.155 E [ap_connection_impl.cpp:837      ] AP Socket Error: Timeout reached (20000)
12:45:20.155 E [ap_handler_impl.cpp:872         ] Connection error:  ap_tcp_socket_timeout
12:45:20.156 I [ap_connection_impl.cpp:901      ] Connecting to AP sjc1-accesspoint-a11.ap.spotify.com:4070
12:45:25.157 E [ap_connection_impl.cpp:837      ] AP Socket Error: Timeout reached (20000)
12:45:25.158 E [ap_handler_impl.cpp:872         ] Connection error:  ap_tcp_socket_timeout
12:45:25.158 I [ap_connection_impl.cpp:901      ] Connecting to AP sjc1-accesspoint-a14.ap.spotify.com:443
12:45:30.159 E [ap_connection_impl.cpp:837      ] AP Socket Error: Timeout reached (20000)
12:45:30.159 E [ap_handler_impl.cpp:872         ] Connection error:  ap_tcp_socket_timeout
12:45:30.160 I [ap_connection_impl.cpp:901      ] Connecting to AP sjc1-accesspoint-a59.ap.spotify.com:80
12:45:35.160 E [ap_connection_impl.cpp:837      ] AP Socket Error: Timeout reached (20000)
12:45:35.160 E [ap_handler_impl.cpp:872         ] Connection error:  ap_tcp_socket_timeout
12:45:35.161 I [ap_connection_impl.cpp:901      ] Connecting to AP sto3-accesspoint-a72.ap.spotify.com:4070
12:45:40.161 E [ap_connection_impl.cpp:837      ] AP Socket Error: Timeout reached (20000)
12:45:40.161 E [ap_handler_impl.cpp:872         ] Connection error:  ap_tcp_socket_timeout
12:45:40.161 I [ap_connection_impl.cpp:901      ] Connecting to AP lon6-accesspoint-a14.ap.spotify.com:443
12:45:45.163 E [ap_connection_impl.cpp:837      ] AP Socket Error: Timeout reached (20000)
12:45:45.163 E [ap_handler_impl.cpp:872         ] Connection error:  ap_tcp_socket_timeout
12:45:45.163 I [ap_connection_impl.cpp:901      ] Connecting to AP ash2-accesspoint-a105.ap.spotify.com:80
12:45:50.164 E [ap_connection_impl.cpp:837      ] AP Socket Error: Timeout reached (20000)
12:45:50.164 E [ap_handler_impl.cpp:872         ] Connection error:  ap_tcp_socket_timeout

Updates timing amazing!
Thanks for yours huge work.

i'm sure theres a quick fix for this one. when spotify loads up it goes full-screen with no window boarders so i'm unable to minimize / move/ unmaximize the app as there is nothing showing. i have to alt-tab to another app to get my desktop panel at the bottom of the screen back.

its like i've pressed the 'full-screen' button while watching a movie but theres no esc button.

any ideas?

[using mint 18.1 cinnamon]

How I use the offline mode in Ubuntu 16.04?

Spotify version 1.0.48.103.g15edf1ec, Copyright (c) 2017, Spotify Ltd

Hi everyone,

I successfully installed Spotify Client 1.0.49.1.25 on LUBUNTU 16.04 but can't login.
This is the output:

[0223/122452:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(752)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
[0223/122453:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(752)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
[xcb] Unknown sequence number while processing queue
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
/usr/share/spotify/spotify: ../../src/xcb_io.c:274: poll_for_event: asserzione "!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost" non riuscita.
Annullato (core dump creato)

couldn't find any solution on the net. Any suggestions?

How can I report issues with the testing version? I reverted to stable now, but I am worried the bug will be introduced in stable later on.

The problem is a chrome issues in combination with xorg and intel graphics. When I launch Spotify client on an external monitor with larger resolution than QHD the entire screen goes black.

Chrome has the same problem for certain sites and I suspect it's been introduced in the Spotify client as well now.

@rpbaptist wrote:

How can I report issues with the testing version? I reverted to stable now, but I am worried the bug will be introduced in stable later on.

The problem is a chrome issues in combination with xorg and intel graphics. When I launch Spotify client on an external monitor with larger resolution than QHD the entire screen goes black.

Chrome has the same problem for certain sites and I suspect it's been introduced in the Spotify client as well now.

Just mentioning the problem in this thread works, but it is usually much better to create a new thread in the Help / Desktop forum, describing the problem and mention linux somewhere and it will show up in my feed of topics that I track. It will also make it more easily findable by others with the same problem. A google search with the correct terms usually finds current posts in this forum that have the relevant info in the topic. Other users could then add more information that could make it easier for us to find and fix the problem. And it will also be easier to spot the severity of the problem.

testing versions will indeed eventually move to stable if nothing serious has been reported by a lot of users. Then I try to see if we can get it fixed first. This is the first time I have heard about the issue, and it sounds serious, but as far as I know, currently only affects one user.

You mention stable and testing. They are currently stable=1:1.0.49.125.g72ee7853-111 and testing=1:1.0.53.758.gde3fc4b2-33. Are those the versions you mean?

Link to the Chrome issue also helps.

1. Your device and operating system
    ubuntu Linux
    16.04 LTS
    hp ProBook 4340s
    Premium
    spotify-client/stable,now 1:1.0.49.125.g72ee7853-111 amd64 [installed]
    Spotify stars, the window loads, however it does not progress through the loading spinner in the middle, it just spins forever. Meanwhile my system stutters, and the system monitor tells me it is using 5-6GB of RAM.
    If I close the window normally the spotify process does not stop, I have to manually kill it.
    I tried:
    - updating/reinstalling spotify ~4-5 times
    - removing cache
    - restarting
    My account works perfectly on Windows and iOS.
    No idea how to reproduce it on other systems, it was working perfectly for me on friday when I turned it off, I didn't use this computer since then.

1. Your device and operating system
    KDE neon LTS User Edition 5.8 (16.04)
    Premium
    spotify-client (1:1.0.57.474.gca9c9538-30, amd64)
    Spotify connect is messing up between different playback/control devices. I have two Linux PCs with the above (almost identical) configuration, of which one is used as a playback device (connected to speakers) and the other one is my desktop, on which I would like to control the other. These two PCs do not see each other through spotify connect at all (everything is greyed out).
    However, my Android phone sees both of the PCs when they're playing music. But, when I play music on PC1 or PC2, my phone connects to both of them at the same time. It says it is connected to either one of them, but pause/play affects both PC1 and PC2, pausing and playing two different songs even though they're at the same account.
    I have the feeling that Spotify does not make any distinction between the PCs, and identifies them as being similar (they have, of course, different IPs, MAC and host names). Still, they have different names in the app. It confuses me...
    FWIW: I tried all suggestions I could find (different spotify versions (0.9x, 1.x), clearing cache/config, enabling ports/upnp on the router)
    Two PCs with fresh install of KDE Neon and Spotify. One Android phone with Spotify. And.... spotify connect is all over the place 😉

Any help in solving this issue is highly appreciated!

Just wondering how to get the stable version you reverted to, or test version you mention (I think I am on Stable, but it is anything BUT stable on my Ubuntu 16.04.2 install)?

Send a link or repository address pls.

Thanks

@themacmeister wrote:

Just wondering how to get the stable version you reverted to, or test version you mention (I think I am on Stable, but it is anything BUT stable on my Ubuntu 16.04.2 install)?

Send a link or repository address pls.

Thanks

The stable repository address is in the installation instructions

deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free

And the testing is the almost the same. Just change stable to testing

deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free

# 1. Add the Spotify repository signing key to be able to verify downloaded packages
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886

# 2. Add the Spotify repository
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

# 3. Update list of available packages
sudo apt-get update

# 4. Install Spotify
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

Frequently progress bar is missing when playing music. It appears again when I click pause button. I'm facing same issue since two years.

Now I'm running 1.0.57.474.gca9c9538-30 on Slackware 14.2.

pbar.jpeg

Spotify just started to fail to start at some point after installing some system updates.

1. ubuntu-gnome 16.04.2
  2. Premium
  3. Spotify version 1.0.49.125.g72ee7853, Copyright (c) 2017, Spotify Ltd
  4. Did not start. So i ran the spotify --ap=194.132.162.227 command. That showed the cef_extensions problem. Downloaded the file. Problem persisted. Purged spotify from the system, installed it again from scratch. Now spotify --ap=194.132.162.227 literally does nothing. Prints out nothing and so on..
  5. strace spotify > $HOME/spotify-dump.txt 2>&1 (see attachment)

The latest version of spotify for Debian/Ubuntu is missing its dependency on libatomic1. If that dependency is not installed, starting Spotify will fail with:

spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please fix by adding the dependency to the package

Marked as solution

@mfonville wrote:

The latest version of spotify for Debian/Ubuntu is missing its dependency on libatomic1. If that dependency is not installed, starting Spotify will fail with:

spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please fix by adding the dependency to the package

Thanks for the report. I quickly tried to push through a new build. It should be fixed in 1.0.64.407.

Hi everybody and thanks for trying to help me.

I've recently changed my lapyop and now I use a Dell XPS with Ubuntu 16.04.

My Spotify account is premium and I followed the steps suggested to download the app for linux, but when writing "sudo apt-get update", it returns (translating the answer from Spanish):

E: Line 1 bad constructed at the origin list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotidy.list (type)
E: It wasn't possible to read the origin list

I've trying some solutions as writing "killall spotify" but it just says "spotify: no process found".

Also, when trying "strace spotify > $HOME/spotify-dump 2>&1" I got "strace: Can't stat 'spotify': No such file or directory".

What's happening and what can i do to solve this?

Suggested posts