Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Your Spotify desktop app is out of date" (when I have 1.2.8.923.g4f94bf0d)

Solved!

"Your Spotify desktop app is out of date" (when I have 1.2.8.923.g4f94bf0d)

Plan

Free/Premium

Device

PC

Operating System

Ubuntu 22.10

I received an email from Spotify saying:

Starting from May 12, 2023, this version will no longer be supported, meaning that you won’t be able to login and use Spotify. This will affect the version you are using along with any other version of Spotify for desktop released before April 2021.

But I'm using the latest version available for Linux (1.2.8.923.g4f94bf0d). Is Spotify discontinuing its Linux desktop version?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I asked the support so you don't have to ... 😉
It took me a while. The claim that it will still work after 12th of May

mastier_0-1681417226381.png
Full transcript of the chat attached.

View solution in original post

22 Replies

**bleep**ing insane that the service keeps getting worse and worse, I've been a member since 2008 and peak spotify must have been like 2010. Worst part is not how it is getting worse though, it is how if you find a way around it they look for ways to punish you. Make a shitty new UI for all I care, just let me have the option to use the old version ffs.

Got this e-mail as well. I'm still on v1.1.48 though (and on Windows). Spotify introduced a horrible UI after that. Sometimes I look up a song on the latest UI when I'm visiting someone. I still can't believe they ditched the old UI for a far inferior one. So I'm very very displeased that they are forcing me to use the new UI after May 12th.

Don't give in, find new ways. Open source clients might still be an option.
As a kid I switched from piracy to spotify and have kept paying for premium for the past  13 or so years, if they make it impossible for me to properly listen to music I will have to look into alternatives but it is crazy this is appealing to them.

I also received it... I work on Arch with deb packages. We Linux users are always on a tightrope. And it's something that makes me very angry because all systems run Linux at the server level, but to service Windows and Mac clients. I hope this is just an irrelevant warning.

I have had premium for many years, I remember that at the beginning using it on Linux was a battle royale. I chose Spotify over other music streamers because of the application.

I remember when they used to say that Spotify engineers were Linux users and that client development was like a hobby. The release of Linux versions has been stable for years now... I hope they haven't changed their hobby ;-). I don't know what is behind the client, maybe Qt or something else but there is a lot of interface technology that allows cross-platform in a simple way. I imagine spotify simply sends the data stream without transcoding locally.

Marked as solution

I asked the support so you don't have to ... 😉
It took me a while. The claim that it will still work after 12th of May

mastier_0-1681417226381.png
Full transcript of the chat attached.

I am currently using version 1.1.53.608.g7ed9c03a-a on Windows 10. The Spotify App doesn't list an update and when I download it from the spotify site it tells me Spotify is already installed? Will I be ok, or do I have to uninstall and reinstall (I hope not don't want to lose any preferences)?

I'm on 1.1.55.498.gf9a83c60 on Ubuntu 20.04.  It works perfectly (classic ui) but I dread what's going to happen on may 12th.   The apocalypse I suppose...

So the email is legit? looked so phishy to me but maybe it was just a poor translation

No surprises there.  Here is an example of an email I got completely out of the blue from Spotify a few years back.   It has all the traits of a scam, and I emailed support to point that out.  They replied it was actually an authentic mail. 🙂

screenshot.png

@ManMachine wrote:

I'm on 1.1.55.498.gf9a83c60 on Ubuntu 20.04.  It works perfectly (classic ui) but I dread what's going to happen on may 12th.   The apocalypse I suppose...

It seems they didn't follow up on their threat, 1.1.55.498.gf9a83c60 still running, and with classic UI. 🙂

No longer able to log in, seems like its started 😞

Same here, getting a

This app is restricted to Premium users only. (Error code:409)

Seems to be an issue with the linux client, as I can log in via web no problem. (Also, I do have a premium account).

Which version do you have problems with?   I'm still running my 1.1.55.498.gf9a83c60 but maybe it's all over when I restart it?

I too could not log in via the app but I could in a browser (also premium user).

I just updated the app to:  spotify-client-1.2.8.923-1.fc37

And went through the log in process, now the app does work.

I closed the app and restarted and now it fails complaining I must be premium, which I am.   The crazy thing is that it worked flawlessly up until I chose to restart it.   This probably means they have actively killed access, not that the app itself wouldn't work.

Now, could someone please provide a patch for 1.1.55.498.gf9a83c60 to work around this speed bump?

I'm running  version 1.2.11.916.geb595a67 on Linux (installed via snap) and it's working.

I even logged out and logged in again just to test, and it's working.

I'm not really about to get rid of the classic UI.  I think I'll just do youtube instead for a couple of days to clear my head.   f-ing idiots!

I saw no other option than cancelling my subscription. I did try the latest desktop client but it was using an insane amount of CPU, even when paused! And even when giving the UI a whole full HD screen I could only fit a few songs on screen at a time. And they removed the ability to see what songs they have removed from their end from my lists. This was but the last straw in a long line of problems. This forum is another problem. It doesn't work as expected in any way. The reply button next to a message replies to the topic and not the particular message. There are no ways to get permalinks to particular messages so you can't really discuss what is being said in a simple way in other places. I can't tell if they are just keeping us busy or if they are this blatantly incompetent. Considering their revenue.. I can't imagine why they are not able to have a competent software team. Oh and uh.. their captcha treats me like on the sketchiest of sketchy sites despite being a verified member that have been paying for their services for a very long time without incident. Thank you Spotify.

Suggested posts