Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

spotify linux dependencies

Solved!

spotify linux dependencies

spotify stopped working for me on linux (debian testing) a few weeks ago after an `apt-get upgrade` or an `apt-get autoclean`. today i started it from the command line and received this error:

spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

i was able to correct it by running `apt-get install libssl1.0.2`

perhaps this package should be added as a dependency for the debian package

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thank's ! I use KaliLinux Rolling v2016.2.  I have installed the librairy libssl1.0.0 ! It work for me !

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hi there and welcome to the community,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I can pass this on the right guys for you. Can you let me know:

- What OS + Version you are on?

- What Spotify version you have?

Did Spotify update, or did libssl update to a newer version?

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

OS + Version: Debian GNU/Linux testing, code name Stretch.

Spotify version: 1:1.0.25.127.g58007b4c-22

I believe it was an update in libssl, more precisely the replacement of the package libssl1.0.0 with libssl1.0.2. Note that the version numbers  are part of the package name.

Additional information which might be useful:

Debian 8/stable/jessie has a package libssl1.0.0 https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libssl1.0.0

Debian testing/stretch has a package libssl1.0.2 https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libssl1.0.2

This wont work. Spotify failed to make libssl1.0.0 a dependancy. You need to install it manually. 

Get it from the debian repo (note, if you're running debian testing then you are have ver 1.0.2 which doesn't work). You need debian stable (jessie) libssl1.0.0

once you download it, use gdebi to install it. 

sudo gdebi  ~/Downloads/libssl1.0.0_1.0.1k-3+deb8u4_amd64.deb

keep track of it - and once spotify updates to using 1.0.2 lib, then manually delete this package. 

Thanks. That was my point; I was submitting a bug report and a proposed approach for a fix, not requesting help. However, your instructions might be helpful to someone on an older version of Debian than the one I'm using and the one I described the solution for.

Work for me, many thanks!

@mccassowary wrote:

spotify stopped working for me on linux (debian testing) a few weeks ago after an `apt-get upgrade` or an `apt-get autoclean`. today i started it from the command line and received this error:

spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

i was able to correct it by running `apt-get install libssl1.0.2`

perhaps this package should be added as a dependency for the debian package

They have been pretty clear that they primarily support Ubuntu LTS releases, but also try to support other Ubuntu versions and Debian. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS has the package "libssl1.0.0". They could fix this in the "DEBIAN/control" file (modified when building the deb package) by doing this in the dependencies section: "libssl1.0.0 | libssl1.0.2". This would choose the one available.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

I am using Kali and it works for me.

download:

http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl1.0.0_1.0.2g-1ubuntu4.1_amd64.deb

run this on your terminal:

dpkg -i libssl1.0.0_1.0.2g-1ubuntu4.1_amd64.deb

Marked as solution

Thank's ! I use KaliLinux Rolling v2016.2.  I have installed the librairy libssl1.0.0 ! It work for me !

im having a nightmare with this can anyone help?

Im using kali2016-2 and im getting this error

root@Lee-PC:~# sudo apt-get install spotify-client
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
spotify-client : Depends: libssl1.0.0 but it is not installable
Recommends: libavcodec54 but it is not installable or
libavcodec-extra-54 but it is not installable
Recommends: libavformat54 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I cant seem to install libssl1.0.0 from anywhere??

i have the same problem 😞

After almost two years, this has finally been "fixed".

Spotify 1.0.69 in the testing repository now (soon stable) can dynamically load different version of libcrypto.so (from the libssl* packages).

Suggested posts