Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

10,000 song limit

10,000 song limit

This is more just a plea to the people at spotify:

Why have you put a limit on how many songs we can have in our own music? It just makes no sense!! I've filled up my 10,000 song limit allowance already and now want to save more music but can't.

The quicker this can be changed the better as I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription

254 Replies

Annddd... This is why I just cancelled spotify and I'm importing elsewhere... I love spotify, but I cannot live with said limitations, ESPECIALLY WHEN I PAY FOR YOUR SERVICE! What resources are required to simply add a few quick links to an account.. Dumb...

I would quit Spotify too-- immediately-- if there were a 10,000 track limit.  My main "playlist" is 63,618 tracks; my SoftTimes "playlist" is 12,711 tracks.

So the 10,000 track limit is just another Bug that you can DeBug by debugging your "operations procedures"-- just like NASA to deal with the reality that your "software" is out towards Mars and you cannot debug the code right now.  (smile and laughing)

I certainly agree with you, @1248753321, that the 1.0.16 player and progeny are all non-functional in having that 10,000 TrackLimit bug-- and many other bugs-- for which no DeBug has yet been found. I would leave Spotify too-- immediately-- if I could not use a fully functional and working Spotify player such as >> 0.9.15. <<

This is what lead to me cancelling my sub this morning. Just hit it, it's bull**bleep**, and I wont pay for it.  

Why?  What happened?

You can have a playlist of at least 63,000 tracks right now if you want.  You want more?

Managing that playlist of 63,000 tracks takes some strategy in what you do and don't do-- but that is how Technology is.  Maybe Windows 8 was unusable for business-- but Windows 7 did quite well, did it not?-- as long as Microsoft did not find some nefarious way to take away your Windows 7 tools, right?  You can give me a similar situation on Mac, if you know one.

You have the same situation here on Spotify-- as long as Spotify does not take away the tools that work on Spotify, there is no logical reason to "cancel your sub".

What are you trying to do, @rustyteakettle, that you think you cannot do with the "sub" that you had on Spotify?

Personally I just want to be able to browse through one list of music that I have spent a considerable amount of time selecting.

Browsing through a playlist of over 60,000 tracks is completely reasonable.  I commend you on your understanding that in any civilized computerized situation, you must be able to search, filter, and edit in one list.

As I write this to you, I am looking on another computer at my largest playlist of 63,975 tracks-- and growing-- that I call WorldLibrary.

In that one list of 63,975 tracks, I can do the following-- just as I would with any small playlist.

* Order all 63,975 tracks by the column I wish

* Filter across all columns to select all matching tracks among the 63,954 tracks using any word combination

* Copy any selection-- including Ctrl-A to select all 63,954 tracks for Randomization in an Internet tool outside Spotify-- or in an Excel spreadsheet for various DeDuplication operations-- such as select only one performance of "Eleanor Rigby".  If I want a particular performance of "Eleanor Rigby", I put that track in a Special Playlist that does not go through DeDuplication.

Of course, none of the above operations can be done in any of the 1.0.x Spotify players.  I use the 0.9.15 player-- which is one of the fully-functional players that all of the Spotify power users have permanently installed so that updates are blocked and refused always.

Among my friends, which are typical of all Spotify Premium users, less than 20% demand a OneList display of more than 10,000 tracks-- so Spotify does not feel any necessity to maintain a OneList display for more than 10,000 tracks.

If Spotify for some illogical reason removes our ability to use a fully-functional player, such as 0.9.15, which fully-functional player provides a OneList display of more than 10,000 tracks, then all of us will terminate our Spotify contracts and move on.

So I can commiserate, @rod_law-- you definitely need to browse through OneList of all the music that you have selected.  Would you like to install 0.9.15?

I can give you some suggestions for operations and organization of your Folders under your MasterFolder so that you have a virtual playlist of over 60,000 tracks that you can Browse, Sort, and Select in OneList.

I'm speaking about local tracks not a **bleep** load of spotify tracks in one folder. Tracks I've bought over the years through iTunes, etc.

Many thanks Rednblu, I'd definitely consider that as a solution if it's not as exhausting as it sounds!

I'm sure other users will be of the same opinion.

Am I correct in my interpretation of what you're saying, that an early version of Spotify allows us to bypass this issue?

Maybe >> try this link << for the 0.9.15 player.

I organize the songs in the playlists so that I can tell from the "Added" column-- in which playlist the track will appear-- in case I want to delete the track from the TotalListingOfAllTracks in the ...WorldLibrary folder displayed in the LeftPanel in the illustration.

WorldLibrary.jpg

* I put all of the Unique songs in a Folder named Songs_AlreadyDeDuped_ByTrackName and name the PlaylistContainer by the Alphabetical contents such as A_D, E_I . . . .   You can list the contents of the A_D, ... playlists from my profile in the illustration and copy the tracks by [Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V] to your own playlists in your own Folder.  I suggest you copy rather than follow-- because you will want to make your own additions and deletions, right?  Save all of these on the same date so that you can tell from the "Added" column in the ...WorldLibrary  listing if any track is in the Songs_AlreadyDeDuped...  folder-- so that you can delete it from the appropriate alphabetical playlist if you want.

* For the classical music, I name the playlist starting with SystemDateOnWhichI_SaveAllTracks to the playlist by [Ctrl-A, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V] in the date format where 2015_11_01 becomes the PlaylistPrefix for  511_01_PlaylistName . . . .   and thus from the date in the "Added" column of the ...WorldLibrary I know immediately which Playlist the track resides so that I can delete it there if I choose.

Hee!

So does this look like it would be exhausting, @rod_law?

Here is a great >> Randomizing site. <<  Just drag the selection from your playlist or Folder into the top TextBox.  You will see the "Randomize the order" RadioButton just above the brown SortList button.

Ctrl-A in the LowerPanel of the RandomizingScreen and drag the Randomized tracks wherever you want-- such as onto the "Play Queue" icon at the top of the LeftWindow, and when the Queue opens, drag the tracks to where you want your Randomized tracks in your PlayQueue.  There you have the whole World Of Music from SpotifyTheEverythingMusicLibrary.

I just want to say that all this fuss about 10,000 songs is silly. How in the world are you supposed to listen to THAT much music? I don't even have that much and I am fine. If you have 10000 songs and you aren't happy, then remove some of the stuff you don't listen to.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Follow me: Google+ | Spotify | Spotify Community

@Reflux_ wrote:

I just want to say that all this fuss about 10,000 songs is silly. How in the world are you supposed to listen to THAT much music? I don't even have that much and I am fine. If you have 10000 songs and you aren't happy, then remove some of the stuff you don't listen to.

I welcome your artistic suggestions.

You can list the contents of my playlist on  Last.fm  under my profile  >> Rednblu777 << . . . .  Which "some of the stuff" should I delete from my playlist to be happy would you say?

"If you have 10000 songs and you aren't happy, then remove some of the stuff you don't listen to."

Hahaha, no there's a great example of someone completely missing the point!

Maybe I should start applying this logic to my family photos as well, delete the ones I don't look at much to make room for new ones!

You can navigate a playlist with 10,000 songs though. You just search for the track in the playlist. I have now filled two playlists with 10,000 songs and it's just a pain in the ass not to know where I added a song since I have multiple playlists with 10,000 songs!

In 0.9.15, you can code the "ADDED" value into the Playlist name-- So that, for example, when you want to delete a track, you have only to display the TrackListing of the ParentFolder-- And the "ADDED" column in the ParentFolder_TrackListing will tell you in which playlist you must search for the track that you want to delete.

@Vulterra wrote with wisdom:
-----------------------
... and it's just a pain in the ass not to know where I added a song since I have multiple playlists with 10,000 songs!
-----------------------

I owe you 10 kudos for identifying a KeyUserRequirement and stating it clearly-- Your intelligence is very rare among Spotify paying customers--

Hence, I owe you 10 kudos-- But I can give you only one Kudos at a time.  (I laugh)  

You must be using 1.0.19-- And you have noted one of the five flaws in 1.0.19 that I refuse to tolerate.

In my MasterLibrary, I currently have 64,371 tracks.  

When in 0.9.15 I want to
* Play some Artist, Album, Track, I just "Filter" in the ParentFolder_TrackListing and play.

When I want to
* Delete some Artist, Album, Track, I just "Filter" in the ParentFolder_TrackListing to note from the "ADDED" column in the ParentFolder_TrackListing to see in what ChildPlaylist I need to "Copy" the Filter to find what I want to delete.

My above DeBug of the Spotify design may be a "primitive" procedure-- but at least it works-- to give me access to the true "new gold" in the Spotify catalog while preventing all of the "junk tracks" that the Spotify computers try to force on me-- in what feels like >> "Payola" <<  -- but what do I know why Spotify makes all the wrong decisions about its "players".  (laughing)

Well, the thing is that it doesn't really matter what version I am using on PC because 90 % of the time I listen to spotify from my phone.

I guess that I could just save the music to My Music but I can't catalouge every song to whatever genre it is as I am currently doing. 

It gave me an idea though... The playlists that are filled with 10.000 songs each are just electronic music with no specific genre. I can keep the genre playlists and just save all my songs from my filled playlists to My Music. Thanks for giving me the idea 😉

Colonel_Collin, your posts here are bizarre. The whole point of this thread is the 10,000 song limit and different techniques you can use to get around it. Not how you think people should listen to their music. Don't want to read about the discussion?  Then don't subscribe.

BTW, running 0.8.5 still works great 🙂

I agree with you that I have no hesitation to delete music-- I can just do Pandora-- I like Pandora-- Pandora requires no "programming".

@Reflux_ wrote:
-------------------------------
Deleting music that you have should not be an issue for you.
-------------------------------

I am truly interested in what your advice would be where I should start "deleting music", as you call it so colorfully.  And please feel free in conversing with me to use your normal very colorful style-- You and I are just a couple of teenage boys; so you and I understand each other, right?

However, I would ask you to be polite with all of my guests here-- if you don't mind, ok?

I share with you my current >> "10,000 track playlist" at its limit <<  -- which at this very moment contains a total of 58,480 tracks where my 58,480th track just inserted, as you can see at that last.fm link, has the very colorful title '[Georges Bizet__Bizet: Carmen, Act 1: "Avez-vous quelque chose à répondre?" - "Tra la, la, la, coupe-moi" (Zuniga, Carmen)]'.  You will notice that the totalTrackNumber changes throughout the evening as I Add and Coupe tracks from my "10,000 track playlist" that is at its limit.  Right now I am listening for the second time to George Anthiel's "A Jazz Symphony"-- Interesting!

So where should I start "Deleting music" would you say?  Feel free to page back through the 1171 pages at that link to where you think I should start "deleting music".  Where should I start my "deleting music", do you think?

@NeilN, I don't think you understand. This is what you are doing.

You are downloading and outdated version. Since it is old, it no longer updates. Plus you are virtually hacking the Spotify folders and stuffing thousands of music into it. This is all basically illegal. Just tell me everyone, what is it that makes you get all this music and want to hack folders just for it? I am in awe.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

@Colonel_Collin It's obvious you have nothing productive to add here, with your misguided nonsense about "hacking the Spotify folders" (our NAS drive is not a "Spotify folder") and what  is "basically illegal".

Two music lovers, buying CDs and digital tracks for twenty years before Spotify came along. Here, I'll do the math for you:

4 CD-equivalents a month x 12 tracks per CD x 12 months x 20 years x 2 people = 23,040 tracks

@NeilN, Do not tell me I am a fool, when I am not the one who figured that out. I have already been discussing this with others and I did not make that up. I am completely aware of how this works. You will now be reported.

Suggested posts