Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

10,000 song limit

10,000 song limit

This is more just a plea to the people at spotify:

Why have you put a limit on how many songs we can have in our own music? It just makes no sense!! I've filled up my 10,000 song limit allowance already and now want to save more music but can't.

The quicker this can be changed the better as I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription

254 Replies

You left out when **bleep** freezes over, and when pigs fly lmaoooooooooo

I would come back to Spotify once they remove the limit.

I‘m using Apple Music since 1 year when I reached the 10k limit.

10k songs sounds much, but it is not.

It‘s ~2k EPs.

Or ~1k albums.

Or ~500 compilations.

I am still watching this thread and hoping.

Seriously, come on guys for once have a heart. This is crazy. A lot of stream music on other sites and we like to keep ours music in order. We don't want to be searching around on different playlists to find a song.

This 10,000 limit is just plain ridiculous. For once, listen to your customers and break down and give us what we want. I see a lot of customers writing in on this subject. 

Not giving us what we want is turning a lot of peope away to to other music sites.

This is no way to run a business. I work for a company that depends on keeping customers, in fact all companies depend on keeping customers. Our motto is to listen what and they want, and give them what they need. 

If you want to keep your old customers and get new ones in the future, listen to what we want.

Continuing to stall on this is only going to have you lose more customers.

Wise up Spotify, it us customers that keep you in business! 

Remember, there are other sites we can go to. 

Ok so I'm adding myself to the long list of Spotify users who think the 10K limit is utterly absurd. I don't understand what's the point to it, except making users **bleep**.

I read somewhere on this topic (I think) that this problem "only" concerned 1% of the total users, so it wasn't such a big deal. Ok, but... in 2017, Spotify users were 159 millions worldwide. 1% of it is 1,59 million people. Not a big deal indeed...

I can't seem to find this answer but I'm sure it's somewhere.

Does your limit count a song that is in your "saved" music AND a playlist?

Example: I saved a song/album, then added it to a playlist, but did not delete it from my saved tracks. Does it count that same song/album twice?

My understanding is that songs in a playlist do NOT count against your 10,000 limit. Can anybody corroborate that?

You can have as many playlists as you want, but only with 10k tracks each. The same limit applies to the Songs list under Your Music which is supposed to be your library. That is why it makes sense to create large playlists e.g. for one complete artist back catalogue or one genre and a playlist folder "My Library" where you can move these playlists to and then play the folder in shuffle mode. Note that this only works in the desktop client, not in the mobile apps or in the web player.

I don’t think it recounts them when u add to a playlist, but be advised
that if a song happens to be a single (by ‘single’ I mean the only song on
an album), it will count two times. That is because in addition to the
stupid 10,000 song limit, Spotify ‘charges you’ the total number of songs
plus one if you save an entire album. I asked them if this applied to
singles, since technically if u save one song u have saved the entire album
and they replied that yes it counts as two songs.
U can add the SAME VERSION of a song to playlists and it won’t keep
counting it.

I can confirm this. I’m copying a response I sent to the original question
below.

I don’t think it recounts them when u add to a playlist, but be advised
that if a song happens to be a single (by ‘single’ I mean the only song on
an album), it will count two times. That is because in addition to the
stupid 10,000 song limit, Spotify ‘charges you’ the total number of songs
plus one if you save an entire album. I asked them if this applied to
singles, since technically if u save one song u have saved the entire album
and they replied that yes it counts as two songs.
U can add the SAME VERSION of a song to playlists and it won’t keep
counting it.

I just signed up for an Apple Music account because of this issue, Spotify can't keep up with my changing music taste and their personalized algorithm becomes irrelevant if you can't keep adding new music and artists to it. Their limit is 100,000.... which I don't think I'll reach anytime too soon.

I have reached this limit too and most irritated. What tools will allow me to prune my library then and convert some to playlists ? The only way I can see this is going one by one into each artist and album.

It depends a bit on how you want to sort the created playlists afterwards. For example I made large playlists from artist catalogues by searching the Songs section with Ctrl+F (somehow different on a Mac) for the artist name, then highlight all found tracks and create a new playlist with them. Afterwards you only have to press Delete once, and they are gone from "Your Music". Furthermore you can move the playlists into a new playlist folder that you can call e.g. "My Library" and play that folder in shuffle mode if you want (only possible with the desktop client).

I also found out recently that it is useful to search through your saved songs for greyed out tracks in that list if you have chosen the option to show unplayable tracks in your preferences. You can simply delete them from there which may free up some space again, in my case several hundred tracks.

Thanks for the info!

Please fix this Spotify!  I am waiting and waiting.  This would be such an easy fix. Superusers are the users who bring all the other users to your platform.  LISTEN TO US!

The answer to this, no one would hits the total track limit, is short sighted thinking.  This is similar to the thinking of Bill Gates when he said no one would ever want more that 256k memory.  I get that "right now" the majority of the users don't hit the thresh-hold.  I didn't think I would, but I just did.  The way Spotify pushes discovery and new music, eventually everyone will hit over 10,000 total tracks.  When they do, the responses from Spotify are pretty arrogant, the majority don't do that.  Sooo,... I hear some other services, with a lot more money than Spotify, don't seem to have artificial song limits, or at least put them higher.  When people realize they can go elsewhere, they eventually will.  I've added some music to a competitor and realized it really is not all that hard.  Sorry, Spotify, but you are heading to be the next AOL  Listen to all your customers.

Suggested posts