Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Accidentally changed cache location and the app crashes and never opens

Solved!

Accidentally changed cache location and the app crashes and never opens

I recently changed the cache location to an external usb and whenever I try to open the app t crashes and gives me an error pop up. I cant change the cache location back to default since I can never open the app, feels like a catch22 situation. A simple reinstallation didn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 11.14.07 AM.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

That sounds like an good possibility indeed, have you tried uninstalling Spotify, and reinstall it again?

If not, see here a short description:

1. Click Spotify in the menu bar then Quit Spotify.
  2. Open Application Support and delete the Spotify folder.
  3. Download and install Spotify!

Bjorn

Spotify Community newcomer

Spotify Last.FM

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'm Dutch, so please pardon my brevity.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hello:

Wait you changed the cache location folder for the spotify desktop spotify app, or changed the location for a system wide cache location? If you did a system wide cache move your probable going to run into all kinds of isssues.

Would not it be a smart idea to plug in the USB device that was used in the change of cache location, and then try to launch spotify and see if it loads correct and finds the hacked moved new cache location?

What about trying to retrace your steps in how you changed the default cache location, and just reverse the process to move the cache location back to it's default location, using the terminal system folder linking process, and then try to see if spotify will launch properly?

I mean your on a Mac is your HD that small? I thought that was one of Apples selling points, larger memory run abilities, and larger HD space for their systems?

Does not Mac have something called Time Machine, have your tried that route to fix the lost Cache location folder?

As the screenshot you've send looks like you're using Spotify on the MAC (wrong threat) you can do the following trying to 'restore' this:

1.   Click Spotify in the menu bar then Quit Spotify.
2.   Open Finder then click Go > Library in the menu bar. (You may need to hold the Alt key if Library isn’t visible).
3.   Open Caches and delete the com.spotify.Client folder.

4.   Click the back arrow.
5.   Open Application Support and delete the Spotify folder.
6.   Download and install Spotify!

Let me know if that helped you 🙂

Bjorn

Spotify Last.FM

I changed the cache in the settings page, not sure what cache that changes. I intended to change the cache location to an external USB I purchaced just to clean out room for my Mac's HD b/c i import a lot of photos at a time. I never set up time machine and now regret it a bit haha. I tried looking for a cache folder for spotify but never found one, maybe thats the problem?

Marked as solution

That sounds like an good possibility indeed, have you tried uninstalling Spotify, and reinstall it again?

If not, see here a short description:

1. Click Spotify in the menu bar then Quit Spotify.
  2. Open Application Support and delete the Spotify folder.
  3. Download and install Spotify!

Bjorn

Spotify Last.FM

Sweet baby jesus, bless your soul! It worked! I guess i just needed to delete application support to reset everything. Thank you everyone for your time & help!!

Glad I could be of any help, you're welcome and have a nice day! 😉

Bjorn

Spotify Last.FM

Suggested posts