Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

After the latest update, Spotify (Mac) desktop doesn't plays music anymore

Solved!

After the latest update, Spotify (Mac) desktop doesn't plays music anymore

This morning I updated Spotify on my Mac laptop (OS X 10.9.5) to the lastest version (0.9.14.13.gba5645ad), but after that Spotify doesn't play any songs anymore; not from my own playlists nor from Spotify's own playlists. I constantely get the message "can't play the current song". After skipping +5 songs in the playlist, from time to time just one song plays and after that the same thing continues, "can't play the current song".

I've tried several things to solve the problem; restarting Spotify; turning off and on my wifi connection on my laptop; rebooting my wifi rooter; reinstalling Spotify, but non of those things helped to solve the problem. Additionally, the app on my smartphone (iphone) still works fine though. But it is quite annoying that the desktop version doesn't work anymore. 

Does someone knows what is going on or how to help to solve this issue?

Kind regards,

59 Replies

Hey guys we're still looking into this issue for you all. 

Could you all let me know the following details:

1. Your desktop operating system. 

2. Spotify app version installed. 

3. Have you tried a clean reinstallation? Y/ N

4. Does checking 'High Quality Streaming' affect anything? 

5. What track are you playing when this happens? 

Thanks everyone!

Turn off high quality streaming fixed.

Thanks for reporting, great to see that turning off HQ fixed it for you.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

Turning off high-quality streaming fixed it. This was such an annoying problem, luckily someone was able to figure out the cause.

Seriously Spotify stop just pushing out updates without giving notifications, or prompt to view a change log after the desktop client restarts so we are aware of what changes are being made. I had to restort to listening to Accuradio because I was fed up with double-clicking a single song over 10 times just to get it to play 1 time.

This Solution has worked for me.

It looks like the High Quality is not unchecked when the Premium Account Expires.

For that reason a user in this situation needs to manually uncheck this option to be able to listen to music again.

Thanks.

Unchecking high quality streaming worked for me as well. The thing is I haven't had a premium account or trial in a long time so some recent change broke this on the desktop version. At least this fixes it, thanks! 

thanks! This is indeed the solution to my problem! it kept ocuring after I went from premium (first month free) to a normal user and I think it didn't change the setting with it 🙂 now it's fixed THANK YOU

Tnx for your suggestion to uncheck 'High quality streaming' in prefs: after all useless actions I phantasized myself, this really helped my iMac afloat... 🙂

Better late than never...

It worked! But I still want my high quality sound that I am paying for..
Is that going to be back anytime soon?

Thanks!

I have premium version and unchecking high quality streaming didnt help, though I have premium subscription. Also, I use the Mac version and it does not have the option "local files". 

this is frustrating. 

I have premium and I'm having the same issue?

i have premium and i have unchecked high quality streaming and everything under local files. i still cannot listen to more than 6 seconds of ANY song.

Having the same issue after upgrading to 1.0.21.143.g76c19bcd this morning. Premium user, previously was using HQS but now turned off. Any suggestions?

I'm premium and I still have the problem.

yup - me too.

me too.. did whatever was suggested , uncheck local files, high quality streaming.. still cant.

Having this same issue, nothing works, and it ONLY happens on my laptop. Remote play from the laptop to the desktop still works. This is frustrating when you're a premium user.

i have premium, and this still does not work. every single song gives me the cant play message. still works from my iphone though

This has just started happening *again* to me. The issue went away for a while but it seems to be back...

Spotify-wont-play.jpg 

It's really frustrating.

Same issue and high quality streaming was already unchecked. What is the new solution to fixing this problem?

Suggested posts