Plan

Premium

Country

New Zealand

Device

Macbook Pro 2018 

Operating System

Mojave

Every time I start using my computer again after letting it go to sleep and I try to play a song on Spotify, it will say that it can't play the current song (to every song including downloaded songs) until I restart the app. It really does happen every time, obviously when my machine goes to sleep it disrupts something in the app.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@johnnyswole @alessiathegreat @stream28 @hylkealons @nintendork07 

Hey guys, 

Thanks for trying the clean reinstallation as I've suggested before, I've seen that you haven't got success on the solution, so I'd like to check with you if the issue is happening only when you're using a Bluetooth headphone/speaker. If it is, we are already conscious about this issue and we've opened an Ongoing Issue thread where users who are experiencing this bug can give us more information about it. Spotify tech team is working on a solution for it, and it will be available as soon as possible. I know that it can seem frustrating, but I ask for your patience and collaboration.

If you are not experiencing this issue when you're using a Bluetooth headphone/speaker, let me know...

Kind Regards,

hezorg

LuanSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

25 Replies

I'm getting this error repeatedly as well.  macOS 10.15.2 Catalina, MBPr13.

The Spotify app will work fine for a while, but at some point fail to play any more songs with a blue "Can't play the current song" banner at the top.

If I exit the app and restart it, it will start working again for a while (maybe a few hours).

Right now the macOS app is doing the "Can't play the current song" thing.  Other applications (such as Google Play Music via Chrome browser) can play content just fine.

My Android phone works fine (same account).  In fact, if I tell the macOS Spotify app to connect to the Spotify app on my phone, it can control and play music just fine (audio comes out of the phone).  When I switch the macOS app back to "This computer" the music stops on the phone  (as expected) but is not heard on the computer.  The progress timer for songs keeps moving, but no sound comes out and the "Can't play the current song" keeps coming up.

Same Problem for me. After a while (especially after the mac beeing in sleep) I get the "This song cannont be played" message (different wording because I use it in German).
A restart of Spotify fixes this issue temporarily. This is really annoying since this happens multiple times a day. 
Using MacOS Catalina 10.15.2
Spotify 1.1.24.91

Exact same issue happens with me, ever since I first updated to Catalina. I've let them know about it repeatedly with still no fix

I have exactly the same problem.

Plan Premium

MacBook Pro 2014

Mac Os X Catalina.

Same here. macOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76).

I observed in the last days that If I don't use Spotify on the desktop for a full night, it may resume correctly in the morning, or it may not (I was assuming it was every time, but it's actually not deterministic).

I can be wrong, but it may be related to the fact that I used the iOS app between two desktop Spotify sessions. Could it be a "user rights" check bug, something like "he's trying to use the account from two places at the same time" even if it is not the case, just switching device? On the other hand, switching from iOS to Desktop seems to work correctly (I just checked), so it may be after a long time or something.

Ditto here.

macOS Catalina 10.15.3

Plays for a while, then I stop for a while, when I try to play again I get the error. Tried uninstalling, and installing again. Nothing works. Really surprised Spotify hasn't fixed this. 

idem ditto, it would be great to get a fix for this.

I tried:

- Disabling hardware acceleration

- Login/logout

- Reinstall

- Remove caches and all traces of Spotify and reinstall

Nothing seems to work, it's really annoying.

Mac OSX Catalina 10 15 3

Same problem here. Please fix that, otherwise i will move to Apple Music... and this will be really sad

Are we all still experiencing this? I have to restart spotify multiple times throughout the day. Been doing this for months now. 

How does Spotify recognize this issue and investigate? Is there a way to start a support ticket? Or are users the support ticket? Is there a way to flag this for spotify? 

Hey all, @johnnyswole @alessiathegreat @stream28 @hylkealons @madlag 
Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

Sorry for the late reply here, guys! 

Initially, I'd like to suggest some initial troubleshooting tips to check if we can fix it on our own... The most recommendable, now is that you restart your device, and then try to perform a clean reinstallation of the app on your device. (Notice that the clean reinstallation is different than the common reinstallation, so, you can get help with this procedure here). 

Keep me posted!

Kind Regards,

hezorg

LuanSpotify Star

Yes, still having this issue after the latest spotify update
(1.1.27.472.gf6574b97) with both my galaxy buds & sony XM3 headphones.

MacOS Catalina 10.15.3.

Been ongoing since October 2019 and they still haven't fixed it. Have to
restart spotify at least 5 times a day

Hey, @nintendork07 
Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

Have you followed my brought suggestion on the post above?

Keep me posted! 💚

LuanSpotify Star

Hi,

Yes I have reinstalled it with the method & it has not fixed the problem. I
have walked through many different methods with the Spotify Cares team on
twitter. None have fixed the issue

@hezorg I tried to reinstall following the steps that you provided and unfortunately to no avail.

I also use a bluetooth headset.

Ok All,

I think i recognize problem.

After reading about it for quite a while, the problems seems to occurs only with wireless headphones.

Lately, i updated spotify to version 1.1.27.472.gf6574b97 which helped a little, but not fixed the problem entirely.

From what i experienced, if my macbook fell asleep with headphones connected, and then i woke it up, spotify displayed error after 5 seconds of "playing" (or rarther trying to play). I had to restart app, to get it working. But this seems to have been fix in the latest update - and spotify is working after wake up.

But after 2 days after update, i was listening to spotify on my Airpods, and then take off one airpod for a minute (macOS after some time, disconnect connection with airpods, if you have "pause on take off" enabled) and then take it on again and i got error on spotify once again (5 seconds of silence, and there error)... After that i started to think maybe it's all about headphones connection in macos... and i was right! I changed the source of audio from Airpods to default one, and then back to Airpods and Spotify started playing WITHOUT RESTARTING AN APP...

So to sum it up:

Spotify has propably some problem with audio source configuration... maybe cache problems? Or something like that...

My computer:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
16 GB RAM, 2 GHz Intel Core i5

Headphones:

Wireless Airpods

@

I've tried both installation processes without any luck. 

This is obviously not an isolated incident or user error. Spotify is a great product, but I find it hard to believe our only option for support is via a community forum. There's no other way to escalate this to Spotify's support? 

Marked as solution

@johnnyswole @alessiathegreat @stream28 @hylkealons @nintendork07 

Hey guys, 

Thanks for trying the clean reinstallation as I've suggested before, I've seen that you haven't got success on the solution, so I'd like to check with you if the issue is happening only when you're using a Bluetooth headphone/speaker. If it is, we are already conscious about this issue and we've opened an Ongoing Issue thread where users who are experiencing this bug can give us more information about it. Spotify tech team is working on a solution for it, and it will be available as soon as possible. I know that it can seem frustrating, but I ask for your patience and collaboration.

If you are not experiencing this issue when you're using a Bluetooth headphone/speaker, let me know...

Kind Regards,

hezorg

LuanSpotify Star

Yes, the issue only occurs when I have my bluetooth headphones connected
(Sony XM3s and galaxy buds). Have had this issue on MacOS Catalina since
October 2019.

After resuming music after pausing, about 5-10 minutes later, the "Can't
play the current song" error pops up. Nothing plays & the issue is not
resolved until I quit & reopen Spotify.

Suggested posts