Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't delete or remove "Local Files" (OSX)

Solved!

Can't delete or remove "Local Files" (OSX)

Hi,

this is turning me a little bit bonkers. I can't delete (or remove) songs that show up in my Spotify Desktop client no matter what I try. I will try to explain in detail what I have tried:

I have Spotify on my Mac

I have Spotify on my iPad

I have Spotify on my Android phone

For some reason, there are appox 27 songs listed in my "Local Files" on my Mac

These do not show up in either the iOS app or the Android app.

I have tried deleting the cache on my Mac (but this is completely restored when I open Spotify even if I have cleared trash)

I have tried deleting the cache AND uninstalling the app from my Mac

I have tried logging out of Spotify, deleting the cache and uninstalling the app

I have tried logging out of all devices

I have tried de-authorizing all devices

Each time I install the app, everything is restored.

The only way NOT to restore the "cache" folder on my Mac, is uninstalling everyhing and NOT logging in. This seems to keep Spotify from restoring the cache, but then offcourse Spotify doesn't work because I have to log in and logging in restores the cache.

How do I completely remove this cache and clean my cache on my Mac? This is so annoying that I would like this issue fixed or I'm willing to try one of the other streaming services.

I want to have a clean Spotify install and have it COMPLETELY seperate from my local files. I want a watertight divide between my local files and online files.

Please advise...and thank you for any help

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The instruction in https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify helped me.

Only this time round i removed not just the stuff they mentioned, but every Spotify* folder from Cache and Application Support.

For me, this is fixed now.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

I'm having this same problem.

I once added my music collection to my Spotify installation on my work laptop, then decided i didn't have enough space, deleted the files, and now whenever i try to play something that was once on disk, it won't play it. The local files list still lists them, as if they weren't deleted.

Marked as solution

The instruction in https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify helped me.

Only this time round i removed not just the stuff they mentioned, but every Spotify* folder from Cache and Application Support.

For me, this is fixed now.

Finally, something that worked. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Still, it's pretty fu*king lame to see how Spotify people care so few about the users and they seem to put all their effort in making the desktop client worse and worse. Where's the user friendly app from the early days? Yeah, it looks gorgeous now, but it's incredibly useless.

Didn't work for me. I quit Spotify, deleted all the folders from Cache and Applications, and even deleted my entire iTunes library file cache. Then I downloaded Spotify and installed. Still have 19,000 local files. **bleep**.

Same for me.

iPhone X iOS 11.2
MBP macOS High Sierra 11.13.2
Apple Watch 3 Cellular OS 4.2
Apple Music subscriber.

I reinstalled after removing all the files suggested in the link on my Mac. I went to my local files and my stuff showed up again, and I quickly went to the settings/preferences and disabled the toggles for under local files for "Downloads" and "My Music".

After I did that, I went back to the "Local Files" playlist and nothing! Problem solved. 

Same, deleted everything in Itunes, local.bnk / local.cache, all Spotify Data folders. 

Logged Out, Deleted App, Deleted installed - Resinstalled -

Still have 6,000 Local files (tracks in spotify) which cannot be played.   

- Also solutions ive seen have NOT worked. 

Suggested posts