Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't open Spotify, it keeps crashing, and no one at Spotify has responded to help. Awesome!

Solved!

Can't open Spotify, it keeps crashing, and no one at Spotify has responded to help. Awesome!

For about a month now, I havent been able to open my Spotify. I click the icon on the dock, and it bounces as if it was going to open, and before it does, I get a message saying "The application Spotify quit unexpectedly. Mac OS X and other applications are not affected. Click Relaunch to launch the application again. Click Report to see more details or to send a report to Apple." With "Ignore" "Report..." and "Relaunch" as the options...
I have tried each option multiple times now. I have sent the Contact Form twice. I have looked throught the "Community" pages for similar problems, and have found solutions, including a "clean reinstall" and looked for files to delete, but found they already don't exist. I have even tweeted to @SpotifyStatus.
I have had zero response from anyone from Spotify, and what I am seeing after browsing through the "Community" pages, is that Spotify has terrible customer service. Why no telephone number if Spotify doesnt reply to the Contact Form?
Please just help me get back into my Spotify before I have to uninstall it (again) and resort to listening to Pandora.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Here are the instructions again for how to stop the auto-update. These instructions are from fgmart. You basically have to make two zero length read only files that Spotify cannot overwrite and hence cannot auto-update.

Note that you can use Text Wrangler instead of Text Edit. You can also download Spotify 0.8.5.133 from here if you want:

http://mac.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/

----

1.  Create the two special files.

Using TextEdit, create a blank file.  Then, go into the Format menu, and choose "Make Plain Text".

Choose File:Save, and uncheck the box that says "If no extension is provided,  use '.txt".  

Enter filename as "Spotify_new.archive", and save it in <Your home folder>:Library:Application Support:Spotify.

Make sure to uncheck the box that adds an extension.  The file cannot have a .txt or .rtf extension!

Now, choose File:Save As, and save it again, in the same folder, but with filename "Spotify_new.archive.sig".  

Yes, you are indeed saving blank files -- that is correct!

2.  Make the files read-only and locked.

Remember, the point of this is to prevent Spotify from replacing them with an actual update.

Using the Finder, locate the Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig files.  They should be in <Your home folder>:Library:Application Support:Spotify.

One at a time, do a Get Info on them (Command-I), and then:

2a. In the Sharing & Permissions tab, change access privileges to Read only.  This is at the bottom of the get-info dialog.  You will have to click on the little lock icon at the very bottom-right of the dialog and authenticate before you can do this.

2b. Check the box saying "Locked" under the General tab.

When you're done, the dialog should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/XZaNHX5.png

Do this for both the Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig files.

After you've done this, the files should look like this in your Application Support:Spotify folder: http://i.imgur.com/rpOenQ8.png . Notice the little lock icon by the two files.

3.  Re-install an old/working version of Spotify.

I have the version 0.8.3.222.g317ab79d from CNET, which works fine: http://download.cnet.com/Spotify/3000-2141_4-10912448.html

4. Boot up Spotify and you should be all set.

That's it!  I hope this works for you.

View solution in original post

26 Replies

Are you using OS 10.5? If so, your in for some bad news. Seems that this latest update booted anyone using 10.5 from using the program.

Awesome! That's really great! Spotify really knows how to keep its users

@Jdeezy wrote:

Are you using OS 10.5? If so, your in for some bad news. Seems that this latest update booted anyone using 10.5 from using the program.

If you are using OS X 10.5, have a read at my post here for some more information and help. 

If not, post back your OS version 😉 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Same thing happens to me. I this a recent thing? Mine just started today. Very frustrating. Please someone help

@Kcleve01 wrote:

Same thing happens to me. I this a recent thing? Mine just started today. Very frustrating. Please someone help

What operating system and version are you using?

Peter

Peter

The same thing is happening to me 😞 It worked yesterday just fine and today it keeps crashing right before opening and I get the "application quit unexpectedly" memo. 

Is there any way to fix this?

@LanaLoo wrote:

The same thing is happening to me 😞 It worked yesterday just fine and today it keeps crashing right before opening and I get the "application quit unexpectedly" memo. 

Is there any way to fix this?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

What operating system and version are you using?

Peter

Peter

OSX 10.5 seems to be a comon issue, except I haven't updated anything in the last week and everything was fine till today

@LanaLoo wrote:

OSX 10.5 seems to be a comon issue, except I haven't updated anything in the last week and everything was fine till today

The Spotify client will automatically update to the most recent version without you needing to anything normally, so it has most likely updated without you realising. 

Like a said above, I have done my best (without a mac) to collect all the information needed to get a working client on OS X 10.5 in a main post here.

Peter

Peter

i have been having the same problems and i am also using Mac OS X 10.5. it is very frustarating. please help!

Hey I am having the same issue and have taken all the steps to help fix.  I think and what i have read is the op system 10.5 x will no longer be supported.  Which is fine but does that mean I need to update my operating system. The community chats do not mention a fix, if a fix is coming, or if I update my operating system...i can have spotify back.  

Let me know what you find.  Otherwise I may kill my subscription to Spotify.

M

Go here and follow the instructions to the letter.  I totally got mine working again.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Help-my-spotify-doesn-t-open-anymore-on-M...

Yeeze! Everyone acts like a three year old computer is ancient! wtf I have to reinstall every time I open it?? Crazy! This further supports the idea that Spotif¥ is a tease. You really have no control over the libray you've created. It's a waste of time and energ¥ to use it.

@kizmut wrote:

Yeeze! Everyone acts like a three year old computer is ancient! wtf I have to reinstall every time I open it?? Crazy! This further supports the idea that Spotif¥ is a tease. You really have no control over the libray you've created. It's a waste of time and energ¥ to use it.

The instructions are basically to uninstall the new version, install an older version, and disabling the Spotify automatic updates. So you should only have to go through this hassle once.

And, yes, Spotify is a something of a waste of time and energy. Unfortunately, they put very little effort into the customer experience.

Thanks! Will I lose my playlists if I go back a version?

@kizmut

You will not lose your playlists. I've gone forward a version, back a version, and nothing has been lost. Playlists are stored on the Spotify servers and this part of Spotify does seem to work 😉

Ok great! Sorry to be a pain, but I think by reinstalling each time I am going back a version because it works, but I can't find where to turn off the updates. I see the message at top saying restart to update, but check Preferences and all other tabs... 😕

No worries, it's a bit tricky to stop the auto-update. Are you on Windows or Mac? The steps are a bit different for each.

Marked as solution

Here are the instructions again for how to stop the auto-update. These instructions are from fgmart. You basically have to make two zero length read only files that Spotify cannot overwrite and hence cannot auto-update.

Note that you can use Text Wrangler instead of Text Edit. You can also download Spotify 0.8.5.133 from here if you want:

http://mac.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/

----

1.  Create the two special files.

Using TextEdit, create a blank file.  Then, go into the Format menu, and choose "Make Plain Text".

Choose File:Save, and uncheck the box that says "If no extension is provided,  use '.txt".  

Enter filename as "Spotify_new.archive", and save it in <Your home folder>:Library:Application Support:Spotify.

Make sure to uncheck the box that adds an extension.  The file cannot have a .txt or .rtf extension!

Now, choose File:Save As, and save it again, in the same folder, but with filename "Spotify_new.archive.sig".  

Yes, you are indeed saving blank files -- that is correct!

2.  Make the files read-only and locked.

Remember, the point of this is to prevent Spotify from replacing them with an actual update.

Using the Finder, locate the Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig files.  They should be in <Your home folder>:Library:Application Support:Spotify.

One at a time, do a Get Info on them (Command-I), and then:

2a. In the Sharing & Permissions tab, change access privileges to Read only.  This is at the bottom of the get-info dialog.  You will have to click on the little lock icon at the very bottom-right of the dialog and authenticate before you can do this.

2b. Check the box saying "Locked" under the General tab.

When you're done, the dialog should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/XZaNHX5.png

Do this for both the Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig files.

After you've done this, the files should look like this in your Application Support:Spotify folder: http://i.imgur.com/rpOenQ8.png . Notice the little lock icon by the two files.

3.  Re-install an old/working version of Spotify.

I have the version 0.8.3.222.g317ab79d from CNET, which works fine: http://download.cnet.com/Spotify/3000-2141_4-10912448.html

4. Boot up Spotify and you should be all set.

That's it!  I hope this works for you.

Suggested posts