Can't open Spotify, it keeps crashing, and no one at Spotify has responded to help. Awesome!

Solved!

Re: Can't open Spotify, it keeps crashing, and no one at Spotify has responded to help. Awesome!

orystio

i have been having the same problems and i am also using Mac OS X 10.5. it is very frustarating. please help!

Re: Can't open Spotify, it keeps crashing, and no one at Spotify has responded to help. Awesome!

manthram16
Casual Listener

Hey I am having the same issue and have taken all the steps to help fix.  I think and what i have read is the op system 10.5 x will no longer be supported.  Which is fine but does that mean I need to update my operating system. The community chats do not mention a fix, if a fix is coming, or if I update my operating system...i can have spotify back.  

Let me know what you find.  Otherwise I may kill my subscription to Spotify.

M

manthram16
Casual Listener

Go here and follow the instructions to the letter.  I totally got mine working again.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Help-my-spotify-doesn-t-open-anymore-on-M...

kizmut
Regular

Yeeze! Everyone acts like a three year old computer is ancient! wtf I have to reinstall every time I open it?? Crazy! This further supports the idea that Spotif¥ is a tease. You really have no control over the libray you've created. It's a waste of time and energ¥ to use it.

AbsolutelyNoFB
Roadie

@kizmut wrote:

Yeeze! Everyone acts like a three year old computer is ancient! wtf I have to reinstall every time I open it?? Crazy! This further supports the idea that Spotif¥ is a tease. You really have no control over the libray you've created. It's a waste of time and energ¥ to use it.

The instructions are basically to uninstall the new version, install an older version, and disabling the Spotify automatic updates. So you should only have to go through this hassle once.

And, yes, Spotify is a something of a waste of time and energy. Unfortunately, they put very little effort into the customer experience.

kizmut
Regular

Thanks! Will I lose my playlists if I go back a version?

AbsolutelyNoFB
Roadie

@kizmut

You will not lose your playlists. I've gone forward a version, back a version, and nothing has been lost. Playlists are stored on the Spotify servers and this part of Spotify does seem to work ;-)

kizmut
Regular

Ok great! Sorry to be a pain, but I think by reinstalling each time I am going back a version because it works, but I can't find where to turn off the updates. I see the message at top saying restart to update, but check Preferences and all other tabs... :/

AbsolutelyNoFB
Roadie

No worries, it's a bit tricky to stop the auto-update. Are you on Windows or Mac? The steps are a bit different for each.

Solution!

AbsolutelyNoFB
Roadie

Here are the instructions again for how to stop the auto-update. These instructions are from fgmart. You basically have to make two zero length read only files that Spotify cannot overwrite and hence cannot auto-update.

Note that you can use Text Wrangler instead of Text Edit. You can also download Spotify 0.8.5.133 from here if you want:

http://mac.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/

----

1.  Create the two special files.

Using TextEdit, create a blank file.  Then, go into the Format menu, and choose "Make Plain Text".

Choose File:Save, and uncheck the box that says "If no extension is provided,  use '.txt".  

Enter filename as "Spotify_new.archive", and save it in <Your home folder>:Library:Application Support:Spotify.

Make sure to uncheck the box that adds an extension.  The file cannot have a .txt or .rtf extension!

Now, choose File:Save As, and save it again, in the same folder, but with filename "Spotify_new.archive.sig".  

Yes, you are indeed saving blank files -- that is correct!

2.  Make the files read-only and locked.

Remember, the point of this is to prevent Spotify from replacing them with an actual update.

Using the Finder, locate the Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig files.  They should be in <Your home folder>:Library:Application Support:Spotify.

One at a time, do a Get Info on them (Command-I), and then:

2a. In the Sharing & Permissions tab, change access privileges to Read only.  This is at the bottom of the get-info dialog.  You will have to click on the little lock icon at the very bottom-right of the dialog and authenticate before you can do this.

2b. Check the box saying "Locked" under the General tab.

When you're done, the dialog should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/XZaNHX5.png

Do this for both the Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig files.

After you've done this, the files should look like this in your Application Support:Spotify folder: http://i.imgur.com/rpOenQ8.png . Notice the little lock icon by the two files.

3.  Re-install an old/working version of Spotify.

I have the version 0.8.3.222.g317ab79d from CNET, which works fine: http://download.cnet.com/Spotify/3000-2141_4-10912448.html

4. Boot up Spotify and you should be all set.

That's it!  I hope this works for you.

SUGGESTED POSTS