Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't rearrange tracks within the playlist in MAC desktop

Solved!

Can't rearrange tracks within the playlist in MAC desktop

Hi quick question for anyone

I have read that, after making a playlist, you can single-click on a track and move it to the place you want it to be in the playlist order.  But I am having issues with that.  I single-click and drag, but it does not move anywhere.  Anyone else have this problem/have any advice?  Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I figured it out! I needed to download Spotify on my Mac.  After doing that, I can rearrange my tracks within my playlists. 

View solution in original post

22 Replies

It works for me, but it seems to be a little finicky about where you drag it from.  If you click and drag from the title of the track, it seems to work.  If you drag it from any other column (e.g. Artist, Time, etc.), it doesn't work.  Can you try dragging from the track column?

I tried the trick you described but to no avail. It's a bit stupid that this isn't possible.

The problem may be related to what is being discussed here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Dragging-Playlists/m-p/249/highlight/true#M4

No it's not. It's not rearranging items on the left hand bar, i.e. rearanging playlists. It's rearranging items in the main space, i.e. rearranging individual tracks in one and the same playlist.

It looks like you might have clicked on one of the columns in the playlist to sort on that column. Automatic sorting overrides manual rearrangement of tracks and so prevents you from dragging the tracks around.

To turn off the sort and allow manual rearrangement of tracks you need to click twice on the header of the column (the first click reverses the directon of the sort and the second click clears it).

Thx, that was exactly the tip I needed. Now let someone put this in the manual somewhere 😉

I have been going CRAZY trying to figure this out. Thank you so so much.

I still can't figure it out, I double click everything and nothing

Hello, I think @tumdiedum had the right idea.  Ordering does not work when you are sorting by a column.  Make sure there isn't a green arrow next to any of the column headings (ie. Song, Artist, Album, etc).  If there is, click the column header until the green sort arrow goes away.  When that happens, then you can reorder your columns via drag and drop.  

I think that will work for you.

Follow Me
DJ Mikey
Strangeways Radio
Owner / Program Director

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

TY, TY!

I just tried it on my mac and it worked. Grab the title and move it - although it's not underlined, it still moves.

Are you using the Spotify Web Player on your Mac? I'm new to Spotify, have created several playlists.  I can't click on columns to sort so nothing is selected.  I cannot rearrange/drag tracks into a different order.  I'm on Safari 10.0.2.  I'd really like to use Spotify, but need to be able to rearrange my tracks for fitness classes that I teach. Thanks!

Marked as solution

I figured it out! I needed to download Spotify on my Mac.  After doing that, I can rearrange my tracks within my playlists. 

Spotify on Mac is really not very well implemented. This question and answer says it all. The suggested solution did work, but it never feels like it works and it's completely non-intuitive. **bleep** interface.

I just reinstalled the program on my Mac and it still won't rearrange the tracks. Really frustrating that there's not a support contact easily available. 

Well, support came through! April was able to switch all my songs to a new playlist that didn't have the issue. 

Done that and still does'nt work

It worked the last time I tried but why not now?

My solution for most things digital usually works:  If all else fails I use the DTR (Destroy To Rebuild) method.  That is uninstall the program and then reinstall the program.  Hope that works for you.

It doesn't work for me!!!!

Suggested posts