Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can’t use Spotify Connect with Display Off anymore on my Mac?

Can’t use Spotify Connect with Display Off anymore on my Mac?

Hi All,

I’ve come across a problem that seems to have started after the last time I updated Spotify.. 

I have my Mac connected to an external monitor and the lid of the laptop is left closed. I have my studio monitors connected to the Mac also. I leave the Spotify application running in the background.

I used to be able to open up Spotify on my iPhone and start streaming music from my Mac without waking the screen while it’s in sleep and the audio came out of my studio monitors.

Since I’ve updated the desktop app, if my Mac goes to sleep it stops playback, it stays in the screensaver if I just leave it playing and won’t turn the screen off. When I put my Mac to sleep, the computer won’t show up as a Spotify connect device anymore on my phone and I can’t stream music unless I wake the computer again.. Even though the Spotify app is left running..

Can Anyone else replicate this issue or?

macOS 12.5 Monterey on MacBook Pro 16” (2019)

Spotify for macOS (Intel).   1.1.99.878.g1e4ccc6e

External display connected to Mac with Thunderbolt 3 USB C

KRK Studio Monitors linked through Scarlett Audio interface to Display’s USB Hub and onto Mac

iPhone running iOS 16.1 and Spotify 8.7.86.510

6 Replies

Hey @EwanH,

Thanks for letting us know!
While this is being looked into, I'd suggest a workaround 🙂

Enabling Clamshell mode will allow you to close the lid of your computer while its connected to an external display, without putting your computer to sleep. Click the Apple menu, select "System Preferences," and then choose "Energy Saver."
Set the Computer Sleep and Display Sleep sliders to "Never."

Albeit it being slightly inconvenient, it should resolve the more pressing issue at the moment.
We'll let you know as soon as we have anything new to share on the matter.
Cheers!

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey Vasil, thanks for the reply.. I already have clamshell mode turned on but I simply need the laptop to stay in sleep and run the music because otherwise it keeps the monitor awake and uses the screensaver.. 

I can no longer see my computer as a device in Spotify connect unless it’s active now which is the real disappointment. I used to be able to play music from far away and now I need to manually wake my computer, login and then connect..

I did some digging and for now I’m using control - left shift -  power button shortcut on my wireless keyboard to turn off the screen but keep the computer on.. For those with Apple wireless keyboards I believe it’s option-left shift-eject but you can google the shortcut..

Having the same issue now with an Intel Macbook Air. Preventing sleep in clamshell mode has also never properly worked for me, so this isn't working as a solution. In the past, I was also able to select and play from it as a device while it was asleep—the issue only started after a restart yesterday.

I'm on the same build of Spotify (1.1.99.878.g1e4ccc6e), running Catalina (10.15.7) on a 2015 MacBook Air in clamshell mode with an external display and speakers connected to the computer's headphone jack.

glad to know that I’m not the only one.. It’s a disaster isn’t it.. Like I said above there’s a workaround to keep the screen off and play music but no fix for being able to play music while the laptop is in sleep and not active.. 

Hey folks,

Thank you for your messages.

We tried to replicate the issue on our end, but the music kept playing on a speaker while the lid was closed. To continue investigating this case more deeply, and in case you haven't done it yet; include in your next response the model and OS version of your mac, along with the Spotify version you're currently running.

Also, it would be great if any of you could record a short video where we can take a better look. This will give us a better understanding of the issue you're mentioning. You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to YouTube/Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to watch it).

We appreciate your patience and cooperation. We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts