Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Completely blank window on Mac OSX 10

Solved!

Completely blank window on Mac OSX 10

Recently the desktop client has stopped working for me entirely. The window is completely blank. No text whatsoever other than the identifying "Spotify" text at the top of the window. I don't know if this is related to an OSX update or not because I don't use the desktop client very frequently and only just noticed it.

I've tried wiping the system of it (including the app itself, the caches and application support files) to no avail. Clean wipe and reinstall resulted in this same black screen (screencap attached). Preferences is grayed out so I can't access that to make changes either like some posts suggested.

Advice?

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 4.10.08 PM.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I did, no thanks to Spotify's tech support! I communicated back and forth with their twitter account for a week or so and they couldn't resolve it for me, so I actually gave up on it for a while. Then recently I decided to try again, and figured out the solution (for me, anyway). Apparently the issue was related to the login items I had set on my Mac. Spotify was one of them, and once I deleted it from those items, and then did the clean reinstall, it has worked fine since.

Go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items and click Spotify, and then hit the minus button to fully remove it from the list. Just unchecking it only hides Spotify at startup, you want to make it so it does not open at all at startup. Doing this, followed by the recommended clean wipe (deleting caches, preferences, etc. along with the application itself) and then reinstalling did the trick for me. I hope it solves your problem too!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I assume nobody knows the solution, so can anybody point me in the right direction to contacting Spotify customer support directly to help get this fixed? Can't find it anywhere on the site, I'm assuming because they're content to have the community be their tech support.

This is happening to me too! Did you ever find a solution?

Marked as solution

I did, no thanks to Spotify's tech support! I communicated back and forth with their twitter account for a week or so and they couldn't resolve it for me, so I actually gave up on it for a while. Then recently I decided to try again, and figured out the solution (for me, anyway). Apparently the issue was related to the login items I had set on my Mac. Spotify was one of them, and once I deleted it from those items, and then did the clean reinstall, it has worked fine since.

Go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items and click Spotify, and then hit the minus button to fully remove it from the list. Just unchecking it only hides Spotify at startup, you want to make it so it does not open at all at startup. Doing this, followed by the recommended clean wipe (deleting caches, preferences, etc. along with the application itself) and then reinstalling did the trick for me. I hope it solves your problem too!

Thank you so so much! With all my googling I was only finding solutions for Windows. This worked. You're the best!

Don't even have to reinstall. Just quit and open!

Suggested posts