Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Controlling or streaming to Mac from iPad

Solved!

Controlling or streaming to Mac from iPad

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but several searches through the forum database failed to turn anything useful up.

I am interested in either controlling my Mac from my iPad or streaming to my Mac from my iPad. It appears to me that this may be possible from the new Spotify connect functionality, combined with the Mac OS airplane functionality. But I am not certain that this is the case.

Using the Spotify app on my iPad, I can see speakers connected to an airport express and select them for audio output. However, I cannot see my computer as one of those options. In addition, the Spotify app on my computer does not offer me the opportunity to connect to those speakers attached to an airport express. In other words I do not get the small speaker icon on my Mac that I get on my iPad. I and using Spotify 0.9.7.16 on the Mac.

Perhaps there is a system preference on the Mac that I need to set in order to enable airplay, allowing the iPad to connect with it. If so, I would be grateful if someone would point that out to me. I can access the airport express connected speakers from iTunes on this computer.

Thanks for any help!

Greg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I don't think there is Airplay support build into the Mac application but you can move all system sound using Airplay:

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/Stream-Spotify-using-Airplay

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Connect is not yet available on Desktop, but hopefully it will be soon! 😉

Peter

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I know nothing about airplay but I'm sure one of our Mac users will be able to help.

I just wanted to mention that Connect is not available currently for the desktop client although it is coming sometime.

Marked as solution

I don't think there is Airplay support build into the Mac application but you can move all system sound using Airplay:

https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/Stream-Spotify-using-Airplay

Peter

Hi Joe!

Thanks for that info. If Connect is not available for the desktop, then I may be out of luck. But perhaps a mac user will weigh in.

Thanks!

Greg
Marked as solution

Connect is not yet available on Desktop, but hopefully it will be soon! 😉

Peter

I don't understand why Spotify does not enable Spotify Connect on desktop computers. It effectively prevents you from using eg a Mac Mini as a media server, unless you want to use 3rd party software to control it remotely eg from an iPad. It also bugs me a little bit that Spotify never seems to have commented on this issue on this board or elsewhere.

If the reason is that Spotify has some kind of secret deal with Bluesound and Sonos with the objective of pushing the users to buy several of these devices, why not say so ??

It is great that I can select the speakers hooked up to a Sonos in the kitchen, but why can I not select to play via the Mac I have hooked up to the high-end stereo in the living room, where I have my music collection and lots of 24/192k music files stored ..... ????

I simply don't get it

Please don't double post @JensP . I replied to your other post.

Suggested posts