Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Crackling/Clipping Noise on Macbook

Crackling/Clipping Noise on Macbook

Crackling/popping/clipping/stuttering issue that I've seen in different forums. Can't find a fix for the mac. Just started noticing it today. 

Please help!

Macbook running macOS Catalina v10.15.6

Retina, 12 inch, 2017.

Top Answer
Yordan

Hi folks,

Thank you for your inputs so far.

This seems to be a hardware related issue that was also reported on Apple's forums. Here's a relevant thread that proposes some possible solutions which you may find useful, so feel free to check it out if you haven't already. Some of the fixes include:

• Typing the following into the terminal: xcrun simctl shutdown all then sudo killall coreaudiod.
  • Changing the sampling rate to 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz.
  • Deleting the com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist and com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist files, then restarting the device.

More details can be found in the aforementioned thread.

Hope this gets sorted out soon, take care!

Top Answer
mactabby
Casual Listener

I also have this issue, on a brand new M1 MBP, but it occurs in Apple Music as well for me.  Reports on Apple's developer forums agree it is across different apps including YouTube, and point at memory pressure being the issue, so software not hardware.  Coreaudio gets overloaded and Spotify skips a 'cycle'.  There are error reports in the console log every time it happens.

All of the fixes mentioned above are temporary and the problem apparently comes back, and gets progressively worse. The best you can do is not have any memory-intensive applications running while you're using Spotify.  As I use it while I'm working, that's a bit of an issue for me.

101 Replies

My issues (discussed much earlier in the thread) were random, very loud popping in multiple audio contexts. Spotify was just the most obvious. Console logs showed the Mac Audio system being overloaded (cpu-wise, not volume-wise) and causing the pops. I spent months back and forth with Apple support and got nowhere. At some point in the last 6 months it just stopped, possibly when I upgraded to Sonoma. I can now listen to any and all audio and do not have the problem. 

Hey folks,

We will be locking the thread for new comments as the topic is gathering comments about somewhat different issues and we're not able to keep track and provide relevant steps and tracking. Most of the comments so far report that they are experiencing this behavior not only with the Spotify app but with other services on the Mac machines. We want to highlight the solutions listed by at Yordan again before we close the thread:

This seems to be a hardware related issue that was also reported on Apple's forums. Here's a relevant thread that proposes some possible solutions which you may find useful, so feel free to check it out if you haven't already. Some of the fixes include:
  • Typing the following into the terminal: xcrun simctl shutdown all then sudo killall coreaudiod.
  • Changing the sampling rate to 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz.
  • Deleting the com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist and com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist files, then restarting the device.
More details can be found in the aforementioned thread. We hope these help and that the issue gets resolved in the near future.
If you have a different issue than what we describe here, feel free to start a new thread.
IvelinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts