Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Every time I Quit Spotify it immediately reopens itself (MacOS)

Solved!

Every time I Quit Spotify it immediately reopens itself (MacOS)

Hi there,

Every time I Cmd+Q (or File -> Quit) Spotify it immediately reopens itself. It's the crazy ex-girlfriend that can't take a hint. I am able to Force Quit to resolve the problem *most* of the time but even then sometimes it reopens.

I've gone into Preferences and verified that "Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer" is set to No.

I've also verified that Spotify is not listed in MacOS's Login Items in System Preferences.

I'm not getting any crash indications from MacOS to indicate that Spotify is crashing on Quit and then restarting itself.

Thanks!

Premium Family Plan

USA

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2019

MacOS 10.15.4

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I've had the same problem of Spotify reopening immediately when it has been quit when using the Spotify integration with Hyper Terminal. I've managed to fix this problem by disabling the Spotify integration in Hyper Terminal. Another workaround to this problem is to quit Hyper Terminal first and the quitting Spotify.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey there @easports48

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

Most common issues can be fixed with a quick reinstall of the app. In some situations however, a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the app might be needed. This way you can start afresh with Spotify on your MacBook. 

Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall on the affected device. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

Hi Ivan, I've tried both of the methods you described (multiple times, in fact) and the issue persists for me. Is there anything further that can be done? Thanks!

Marked as solution

I've had the same problem of Spotify reopening immediately when it has been quit when using the Spotify integration with Hyper Terminal. I've managed to fix this problem by disabling the Spotify integration in Hyper Terminal. Another workaround to this problem is to quit Hyper Terminal first and the quitting Spotify.

OMMGGGG I BET THIS WAS TOTALLY IT. I was using Hyper until about two weeks ago when I wiped my entire system (for other performance reasons, unrelated to this issue or Spotify in general). I had ended up completely uninstalling Spotify about a month prior to the wipe and only used it on my phone, so I can't confirm, but I'm confident this was the cause. Great catch, you rock!

I'm having this issue on OSX 12.4 (21F79). I do not have hyperterminal or anything like that. I've done a clean install. I close the app, it automatically reopens over and over again. To the point where I think Spotify is trying to do something nefarious. If I quit, that's it, it should never just automatically reopen. What gives?

Do you have any other programs linked to Spotify? Any process that might be showing Spotify’s status or running some sort of background process on Spotify? That might be asking for Spotify in the background and relaunching it?

I have exactly this same problem on a M1 macbook. Tried a clean install but that didn't help. Spotify is opening spontaneously again after I quit Spotify. 

Just wanted to offer my experience here as well.  I found the Raycast app was causing spotify to reopen after being closed.  It appears any app that wants to monitor your spotify status/usage is going to cause this issue.  Worth noting, it did not used to work this way, I've been using Raycast for years.

Hi everyone. Easports48 got it right in this thread as the general problem. ANY app that is running on your Mac that is looking to perhaps interface with or control Spotify can cause Spotify to relaunch immediately after being Quit (via a background call to a Spotify API). In my case, both Stream Deck Spotify plugin, as well as BetterSnapTool, were both on the list of culprits. BetterTouchTool can also cause the issue from what I understand. Thanks are due to JulianKarhof who reported about all this in these forums in Aug 2021.

Confirming; exiting my Stream Deck software, which had a Spotify plugin, stopped the reopening behavior.

Suggested posts