Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

HELP, SPOTIFY WON'T QUIT!

Solved!

HELP, SPOTIFY WON'T QUIT!

I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.8, and have th latest version of spotify but in the last couple of days it has just frozen up and it wont let me quit the application. When I click on it to open all the options at the top have disappeared and won't let me select and its stopping me from shutting down my Mac, does anyone know what I can do??

26 Replies

THANK YOU! I never knew there was an option to do this and I've been using macs for a couple eyars now.

I'm having the exact same issue. I want to listen to music but I can't!

This is happening to me right now. For the last several days (I think even after I've restarted for other installations), Spotify is running. But I can't actually OPEN it, my Macbook Pro thinks Spotify is "Not Responding" when I try to force quit. And when I do command+option+esc, I can click "Force Quit" a dozen times on Spotify and it won't work. But I can't uninstall because Spotify is STILL RUNNING. I don't know what to do. It won't go away so I can uninstall and reinstall to hopefully fix the problem!

Hold down the power button. It should work then.

I just ran into this. Spotify completely crashed (I sent a crash report to Apple, BTW) and every time I tried to re-start it it crashed again immediately. But now it's not even doing that, and somehow the application isn't running but the OS thinks it's running but "Not Responding". All attempts to "Force Quit" have failed. Spotify has no windows open, and from what I can tell it's not even running. On the terminal:

$ ps -A | grep -i spotify

This gives no results (other than the grep command itself).

The Apple Stackexchange site has a question about this situation: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/178409/cant-restart-because-os-x-thinks-an-app-is-open

It suggests quitting/killing the WindowServer process as a way of logging out while the OS thinks a program is still running. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to attempt it now.

Marked as solution

I opened Activity Monitor and tried to Quit the WindowServer process. This did nothing, so I proceeded to Force Quit. That made my screen turn black and I guess the computer was frozen. Ultimately I had to hold the power button and do a hard reset.

I just deleted Spotify and will try re-downloading it. Hopefully that will fix things?

This worked for me, thanks so much!

Suggested posts