Announcements

How can I add local files to iPhone?

Solved!

How can I add local files to iPhone?

djchrisray
Casual Listener

I can not seem to find a way to get my local files on my pc to sync to my iPhone. When I add them to the playlist, it shows the song but it is blacked out and I can't play it. Is there a way to play local files from a pc on iPhone. Thanks!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: How can I add local files to iPhone?

ErickRGuetta
Community Legend

Okay first of all have your Spotify Desktop App open, >> now drag the files from your computer to the App and put them on 'Local Files' left bar of the app. >> After you've transfered everything there create a new Playlist name it. >> Get all the tracks you want to be on your iPhone from Local Files (select multiple by holding Ctrl on keyboard while clicking tracks) >> Be sure your phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your computer and now open Spotify on your iPhone >> In playlists search for the new one you've created, you should see the tracks in gray, now click "Make Available Offline" on your phone (the desktop Spotify App must be open too) >> You should see your playlist will start downloading. (Do not lock your phone or exit the app as it may interrupt the download.) You are set!

View solution in original post

Solution!

Strongbow
Try to take off your firewall for the time you are syncing your files that did it for me.

Solution!

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. 

We suggest that you follow these steps to be add local files to your iPhone:

1. On desktop, import your local files:
  • Click icon_arrow_down.png, then Settings
  • Scroll to Local Files and switch Show Local Files on. 
  • Switch off any sources you don't want. 
  • Click ADD A SOURCE to select another folder. 

2. Add the files to a new playlist.

3. Log in on your mobile or tablet using the same Wi-Fi as your desktop.

4. Go to Settings icon_settings.png > Local Files and switch on Local audio files.

Note: You need to allow Spotify to find devices in the prompt that shows.

5. Download the playlist with your local files.

If that doesn't work, make sure:

Make sure:

• You're logged in to the same account on both your desktop and mobile
  • Your devices are connected to the same W-iFi network
  • The app is up-to-date on both devices
  • Your device is up-to-date
  • The Spotify app has access to your local network. Check in your iPhone/iPad settings under Spotify

Note: Some of your files may be protected in restricted formats. Install QuickTime on your computer to allow most of these tracks to be played on Spotify.

• .mp3
  • .m4p (unless it contains video)
  • .mp4 (if QuickTime is installed on your computer)

The iTunes lossless format (M4A) isn't supported.

If your file isn’t supported, we do our best to match it with songs from the Spotify catalog. The version we match with might differ from the original.

If you still experience issues after following the steps above we suggest that you create a new topic on the help board so that we can continue to assist you.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

55 Replies
Solution!

ErickRGuetta
Community Legend

Okay first of all have your Spotify Desktop App open, >> now drag the files from your computer to the App and put them on 'Local Files' left bar of the app. >> After you've transfered everything there create a new Playlist name it. >> Get all the tracks you want to be on your iPhone from Local Files (select multiple by holding Ctrl on keyboard while clicking tracks) >> Be sure your phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your computer and now open Spotify on your iPhone >> In playlists search for the new one you've created, you should see the tracks in gray, now click "Make Available Offline" on your phone (the desktop Spotify App must be open too) >> You should see your playlist will start downloading. (Do not lock your phone or exit the app as it may interrupt the download.) You are set!

djchrisray
Casual Listener
Great, thank you for your help!

I've done all that, but I still have my local files as grey songs! Help 😞

Solution!

Strongbow
Try to take off your firewall for the time you are syncing your files that did it for me.

kinderisbueno
Regular
This worked for me! Thank you so much!

Focus_more
Casual Listener

How long did it take to update from the pc to download onto the Phone?

kinderisbueno
Regular
Once I selected "available offline" on my iPhone playlist containing local files from my PC, the grey songs on my iPhone downloaded instantly.

Focus_more
Casual Listener

2  of 15 songs downloaded straightaway, my other songs arent downloading, just staying grey 😕

kinderisbueno
Regular
Make sure you have Spotify open on your phone and computer at all times during the download. Maybe deselect and select Available Offine again on your phone to start the download again

Focus_more
Casual Listener

Trying now, Hopefully works 🙂

Focus_more
Casual Listener

Still Isn't working :'(

mikaohmika

Nothing of this thread worked for me 😞 I need help please!

amaliestaunaes
Casual Listener

I have done every step several times now, and it doesn't work! I have switched the "Available Offline" switch on and off multiple times, and I have made sure to keep Spotify open on both of my devices at all times. What is really weird is that I downloaded two songs yesterday, and it worked perfectly! Could someone please, PLEASE help me?

Mocha
I found only songs that are available to be downloaded from Spotify can be sync. My Local Files has no song. I tried all so-called solutions and even uninstalled and reinstalled both PC and iPhone. However I still cannot sync local file to Spotify. I'm so disappointed with Spotify as it has no intention to address this problem. I cannot add local files by drag and drop onto Spotify on PC

er1km

hi, i have the same problem.. have you figured out the problem? 

Not working!

phathed
Regular

In the past, if I had a local file on a playlist on my computer it would show up on my phone once I selected "Download" for the playlist.  In this newest version of Spotify, I can't even see the song listed on my Spotify playlist, even if I've selected "Download".  In fact, I made a playlist with only this local file on my computer and selected download.  When I look at the playlist in the list it says, "1 song".  Yet when I click the playlist, there are no songs on it. Whats up Spotify?!

Josephinebruun

How do you take off your firewall? On MAC/IPhone

crescent416
Regular

not work 😞

Re: Not working!

ineddhelpplease

I have the exact same issue, have you figured it out? The playlist says it contains like 18 songs, but when I wanna open the playlist there are no songs there...

SUGGESTED POSTS