Premium

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Galaxy S21 & Macbook Pro M1

Operating System

Android 13 & MacOS Ventura

My Question or Issue

I listen to Spotify almost everyday while working. For over a year, I've been successfully using Spotify to play audio using the external speakers in my home office without ever having any issues. For reference, this is a Marantz receiver that supports Spotify and has two speakers directly plugged into the receiver.

This week, out of nowhere, when playing to the external speaker (Marantz receiver) then the songs started failing to play. By failing to play, I mean that the Spotify app shows that the song is playing and the receiver also shows that the song is playing (can see the artist & track name) but there is no actual audio being played. Then after about 12 seconds of attempted playback the song will skip to the next song, which will also fail. The strange part is that although there is not an exact pattern, after approximately skipping 10 songs, then 1 song will randomly work, only to have the subsequent songs fail to play again after the song completes. It's also worth noting that I'm only experiencing this issue when playing to this specific external speaker - I'm able to play songs locally on my laptop & phone as well as other external devices without any issues.

I've performed the following troubleshooting steps without much luck:

• I restarted my network, laptop, phone, and receiver multiple times. This did not resolve the issue.
  • I attempted to play to the external speaker (Marantz receiver) from both my desktop app (Mac) and mobile phone (Android phone) but got the same results.
  • I confirmed the volume controls.
  • I was able to successfully play to a different external device without any issues.
  • I uninstalled & reinstalled the desktop application.
  • I confirmed that the receiver has the latest firmware installed and confirmed that both Spotify apps are on the latest version.
  • I lowered the audio quality setting in the Spotify app to Low. This did not resolve the issue.
  • I ran multiple speed tests on the network and did not identify any network bandwidth issues.
  • Within the Spotify app, I downloaded some songs to my local laptop to see if that would help somehow. That did not resolve the issue either.

I've been combing through forum posts the last few days and haven't been able to locate anything helpful. If anyone has any ideas about how to troubleshoot this further, I'd really appreciate it.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Naturally, after taking the time to write this post, I was able to solve the issue in the most facepalm, user error way possible. I simply unplugged the receiver for a few minutes. All good after that!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Naturally, after taking the time to write this post, I was able to solve the issue in the most facepalm, user error way possible. I simply unplugged the receiver for a few minutes. All good after that!

Hey there @Romulan,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

We're glad to know everything is working now. Thanks for the update and for all the info you provided about the case. 

If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers!

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts