Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac] Important info for Mac 10.5 users

Solved!

[Mac] Important info for Mac 10.5 users

Every so often improvements that we need to make to the Spotify push the application beyond the capabilities of some older computers or operating systems.

The next update to Spotify desktop will affect Macs running OS X versions earlier than earlier than 10.6 We’re really sorry if you’re affected by this change.

Will you be able to continue to be able to use Spotify ?

Yes. For some time to come you will be able to use Spotify on your OS X 10.5. However, the Spotify application won't receive any more updates.

Ultimately, Spotify will cease to be supported on 10.5, but not just yet. As an example, We had to "deprecate" Mac OS X 10.4 in a similar way this time last year, but the unupdated application should still work on those systems.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Folks, we've now resolved this issue.

Here's how to get the right Spotify version for you:

1. Make sure you remove your current Spotify app. Instructions can be found here.
  2. Download the "new" version from either our download page or by using this direct link
  3. Install Spotify-0.8.5.dmg
  4. Run Spotify
This version should no longer try to automatically update your Spotify app.

If you still experience any issues please make sure to have a look at our Mac-specific troubleshooting guide.
Community Ergo Sum

View solution in original post

29 Replies

[Update - 27.3.2013]

Hi everyone,

Many of you have had problems with Spotify for Mac OS X 10.5. We no longer support Spotify on this operating system which we announced back in November here as a "heads up".

However, we've noticed that many folks have been updating regardless which should not be the case. Our intention was to let anyone using Mac OS X10.5 continue using a "legacy" version of Spotify. In any case, the folks who were using 10.5 were updated, and in many cases these customers have experienced crashes with the newest version of the application (Spotify version 0.8.8. at the time of writing).

To make a long story short, we messed up in updating folks who should not have been updated and we're sorry. We plan on fixing the problem of Spotify updating to the latest version for Mac OSX 10.5 users and we're working on it as I write this. If you're a person who has already upgraded and the application is crashing, we're looking into a solution and we hope to have an update shortly.

Warm regards from your humble community manager,

Rorey 

Marked as solution

Folks, we've now resolved this issue.

Here's how to get the right Spotify version for you:

1. Make sure you remove your current Spotify app. Instructions can be found here.
  2. Download the "new" version from either our download page or by using this direct link
  3. Install Spotify-0.8.5.dmg
  4. Run Spotify
This version should no longer try to automatically update your Spotify app.

If you still experience any issues please make sure to have a look at our Mac-specific troubleshooting guide.
Community Ergo Sum

It works, I am back in the game on good old  Mac OS 10.5.8 ! Thank you for the support !

@Per @Spotify

Good job. I'm disappointing things happened the way they did with the auto-update, but glad to see that Spotify did end up doing the right thing for their OS X 10.5 customers.

It was lousy that it came to cutting older versions/computers off.

But, well done for turning it around so quickly and getting us back in the game.

Likewise - a shame we were cut off but pleased it was resolved so quickly, if only Adobe and Google Chrome would be so kind.. 🙂 

This won't work on my Mac which is a G4iMac running OSX 10.5.8

The program is showing as an Intel based one and "not supported on this architecture".

Ideas please!

Thanks

@Vinny1941 wrote:

The program is showing as an Intel based one and "not supported on this architecture".

Ideas please!

Thanks

Is your Mac not intel based? 

If so, there might be a few clients in this topic which might work for you. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Peter wrote:

@Vinny1941 wrote:

Ideas please!

Thanks

Is your Mac not intel based? 

If so, there might be a few clients in this topic which might work for you. 

Peter

Peter, His imac has the older powerPC processor from before the pre-Intel switch.

Yeah, I kinda guessed but always safer to check! Spotify don't appear to have any "official" download pages for PPC, but there are a few old installers in that topic I linked too which should work on PPC. 

Peter

Peter

I've just spent an entire afternoon of my life that I won't get back trying to get Spotify to work.

I'm on OSX 10.5.8 and I've followed all the advice on these forums over 10 times. Uninstall reinstall uninstall reinstall over and over. Delete cache files ect over and over. Down load the old version over and over. Restart over and over. Nothing nada zip.

Tried to login in online to access my music that way. Informed over and over that I need Flash updated. I've done that over and over and over. Deleting and reinstalling from Adobe directly. Tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Nothing. Still not working. Same pop up about needing an update of Flash.

Factor in the inability of sorting my playlists and having offline playlists that need redownloading every time I open the app on my Iphone 5 and I'm pretty sick of Spotify right now. I can't tell you how frustrated I am with the whole experience. It used to be good. I pay £9.99 a month to be annoyed by this software and I used to tell everyone how great it was.

I' don't expect a solution to this and Spotify aren't really trying to provide one. I'm just ranting in the vain hope that someone at Spotify might take it on board and pause briefly in the knowledge that thier customers aren't very happy. 

I wish I still had that CD collection.

@mjphoto wrote:

I've just spent an entire afternoon of my life that I won't get back trying to get Spotify to work.

I'm on OSX 10.5.8 and I've followed all the advice on these forums over 10 times. Uninstall reinstall uninstall reinstall over and over. Delete cache files ect over and over. Down load the old version over and over. Restart over and over. Nothing nada zip.

Tried to login in online to access my music that way. Informed over and over that I need Flash updated. I've done that over and over and over. Deleting and reinstalling from Adobe directly. Tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Nothing. Still not working. Same pop up about needing an update of Flash.

Factor in the inability of sorting my playlists and having offline playlists that need redownloading every time I open the app on my Iphone 5 and I'm pretty sick of Spotify right now. I can't tell you how frustrated I am with the whole experience. It used to be good. I pay £9.99 a month to be annoyed by this software and I used to tell everyone how great it was.

I' don't expect a solution to this and Spotify aren't really trying to provide one. I'm just ranting in the vain hope that someone at Spotify might take it on board and pause briefly in the knowledge that thier customers aren't very happy. 

I wish I still had that CD collection.

Hey 🙂 

Did you try using the installer in this post

Also, are you using an Intel or PPC mac?

Peter

Peter

They have broken 0.8.5 on all platforms. You have no choice but to wait for a fix again, the problem seems to be server side and it has something to do with the What's New page and other webpages, like Spotify Apps.

Alternatively you could find the latest 0.6.x version for Mac somewhere and use the "read-only update files" trick to prevent an update to 0.8.5. That version does not have a browser inside and it has been working fine so far. Note that this version does not have the Facebook friend feed or Spotify Apps.

I have escalated this to the Spotify team again as an issue. Hang tight hopefully it will be sorted out quickly this time!

Peter

Peter

Hi Peter, 

Thanks and yes I tried that. I've been through all the forums and posts here and elsewhere. No good. I appreciate you replying.

Best,

Mark.

@Stupify wrote:

Alternatively you could find the latest 0.6.x version for Mac somewhere and use the "read-only update files" trick to prevent an update to 0.8.5. That version does not have a browser inside and it has been working fine so far. Note that this version does not have the Facebook friend feed or Spotify Apps.

It does not have the new radio either, but if you can live without those features, it's the fastest, most stable and resource-friendly Spotify ever, at least on Windows & Linux.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Thanks Peter,

Though 'Sorted Out', 'Quickly' and 'Spotify' are words that you're unlikely to hear in a sentence together. 

Hence word "hopefully"! 

There was a large topic on the super user area when this issue first occured, I have just dug out that topic with some angry words to get some attention from the Spotify staff! 

Peter

Peter

Peter,

thank you so much! I need find something on that thread that helped and Spotify is back up and running on my venerable Apple!!

Cheers

Vince

Suggested posts