Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Macbook M1 Max - Black Screen / Unable to quit / Something Went Wrong Error

Macbook M1 Max - Black Screen / Unable to quit / Something Went Wrong Error

Hi,

I have had major troubles with the Spotify Desktop app on the premium plan since I bought my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Max Memory 64 GB

Every time I start Spotify I am greeted with a black screen that takes somewhere from 30 seconds to a minute to disappear. Every time I quit Spotify it takes about 2-3 minutes before Spotify quits. Shutting down my computer with Spotify running can not complete either as Spotify is non-responsive and has to be force quit by the system after 2-3 minutes.

Clicking on certain artist releases gives me the page "! Something went wrong, Try reloading the page", then I am sent back to the main page of Spotify.

I spoke to Spotify support before about this and after trying a lot it was suggested to do a deep uninstall, removing all Spotify files from the computer (dig out everything in the Library folder). That worked for a day or two, then the behavior is back again. I have done 4 deep complete uninstalls now and the problem still persists.

My other older Mac Laptop (Intel) 2013 Spotify Desktop Version works flawlessly but not on the latest MacBook Pro.

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.1.91.824.g07f1e963 is the version I am running.

Updating Mac OS X Monterey does not help either, the problem started at 12.0 and I have updated each version up to 12.4 with the same Spotify problems.

Nothing in my host files that is blocking Spotify.

I have flushed the DNS through the terminal.

All other programs and system work flawlessly on the M1 Max MacBook Pro. Only Spotify has this behavior. Spotify works on my iOS device with no problems.

I have reached out to support again and after 2 hours and we really did not get anywhere.

Any help is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 15.23.05.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 15.24.17.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 15.22.28.png
20 Replies

After 3 hours of discussing with support, reinstalling Spotify in Safe Mode fixed the problem... temporarily

Now a week later Spotify Desktop has started to need about 1 minute to close its application again and I expect it to take longer and longer times. It kind of feels like Spotify and handling cache on M1 Max is not working properly?

Seems like Spotify for M1 Max processors are broken and they are working on a fix but no timeframe on when it will be done.

Just been told to completely reinstall Spotify once a week in "Safe Mode" is the only way to make the app work right now....

Power issues: MacBook can boot into a black screen if there is not enough or rated power. Poor contact between hardware and firmware: the contacts between hardware and firmware are damaged, loose, or dusty, the computer won't start up normally. The cables are not connected. Third-party apps that expand the screen.

Regards,

Will

That's a completely different issue.. This is only a black screen on the Spotify Desktop app, all other operations and applications on the mac are working perfectly, it is just an issue within the application not the computer itself or system.

Still have the same problem here continuously, I just did a deep clean reinstall. The problem gets fixed for a day, then back to being unable to quit Spotify if not force quit. Again black screen on starting Spotify for about 20 seconds. The black screen will stay longer per every day of usage after a reinstall. Up to almost a minute.

Mac OS has been updated to 12.6.2 with the same issue.

Plan 

Premium

Country

US

Device

doesn't matter but MacBook pro

Operating System

doesn't matter occurs on latest OS's

My Question or Issue

I've seen this issue all over this forum. It doesn't matter the OS version, it doesn't matter the hardware. Something causes the Mac app to stop responding and only load a black window.

I have reinstalled the app every way, tried every solution, deleted prefs files, cache files, deleted dns caches, safe mode, etc etc etc. The issue goes away for 1-2 launches and then starts again.

This is not an issue on our end. Either fix your app or let us turn off auto-updates because you guys break things and then we're stuck with the bugs.

I'm having the same issue as above. I have tried everything recommended in all the posts. Unlike the others in this thread, after troubleshooting, mine only works for the first load, but as soon as I login, it starts behaving the same way. This is so incredibly frustrating!

travismm and TicketsTom

Please post your similar error and what troubleshooting you have done in this thread where I am discussing this with @MihailY

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Black-screen-on-macOS-Monterrey-Spotify-app/m-p/5526022

I just did my weekly "deep" reinstall of Spotify... Working fine on the first launch but after 2 launches back again to the same behaviour. Still can not shut down my computer without having to force quit Spotify. All other programs work flawlessly.

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 21.43.58.png

I just updated Spotify today and the problem still persists.. There is no other way than to force quit Spotify and it fails to respond upon quitting. The black screen is also still there upon startups, only on M1 Macs.

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 10.07.01.png

I have an installer of an old version 10.11-12, and I reinstall it whenever
I want to play Spotify. It works for that session, but will auto update and
crash the next time I load it. So I have to run the installer to run the
old version constantly. It sucks. Whatever they did in version 10.13 broke
something, and they still haven't fixed it!

@TicketsTom What type of Mac are you running, M1, M1 Max or M2?

None of the above. Macbook Pro - Intel Core i5

I never had any problems with the Intel Mac only the newer generations... But could also be that I was running older versions and it did break at 10.13

I'm also having this issue. I just use the web browser version of Spotify.

Please fix, very unprofessional.

Same. 2017 macbook air 1.8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5. worked for a few days, now black screen.

I have the same issues on an Intel iMac.

Found out u don't have to 'deep reinstall', its enough if u delete the Folder at ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify

U will have to religion at the next start.

Maybe someone can write a script or automation like rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify && open Spotify.app (this line won't work, its just pseudo code)

hi, 

I got the same issue, after update only black spotify app screen on my mac air 2017. 

How to back on old version?

Thank you

Looks like things are improving! Now, when I open Spotify, there's a black screen for about 10 seconds before it starts working. That's not too bad, in my opinion.

The good news is, Spotify now quits without causing any issues. It used to hang for a frustrating 2 minutes, and I had to force quit it. So, I'm happy to say it's working smoothly for me now.

Suggested posts