NEXT STEP

Media Keys not working (F7,F8,F9)

Solved!

Media Keys not working (F7,F8,F9)

Plan: Premium Student

Device: Macbook Pro

Operating System: High Sierra

My Question or Issue:

I used to be able to use the media keys (F7 for previous, F8 for play/pause, and F9 for next) to control spotify on my macbook pro. These no longer work, I have to switch screens and use the mouse to click the icons within spotify.

Please note - I do not have any chrome extensions hijacking my media keys. I have quit and restarted spotify, this issue persists when spotify is the only program running. I am not sure what happened, but please do not try to redirect me to the spotify community thread about chrome extensions. this is not my problem.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @elaine92, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try a clean reinstall of the app? Just follow these steps.

Also, try updating to macOS Mojave 10.14.6 as it's the latest version currently available, until Apple unveils tomorrow when the new version, macOS 10.15 Catalina will become available.

Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @elaine92, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try a clean reinstall of the app? Just follow these steps.

Also, try updating to macOS Mojave 10.14.6 as it's the latest version currently available, until Apple unveils tomorrow when the new version, macOS 10.15 Catalina will become available.

Thanks 🙂

thank you! updating to Mojave worked, thank you for including the link

Hi All,

MAC OSX Catalina is here, and it breaks the multimedia keys for Spotify...

Pressing the "play" button (i.e. F5) on the keyboard brings up (... the new ...) Apple-Music 😞 instead?!!?

Not only this is broken when using Spotify in the background, but it also redirects you to Apple-Music when you are actually inside the Spotify App trying to control the songs, ... I mean WHY!?!?... 

This is extremely annoying to say the least... I hope Spotify can release something to fix this new "feature"

Same problem. We NEED a fix, Apple is stealing the focus it's ridiculous, and no option.

Suggested posts