Playlist description not updating

Highlighted

Playlist description not updating

Casual Listener

Premium Family Plan - USA

Device - Macbook Pro 2018

Operating System - macOS Mojave v. 10.14.4

My Question or Issue

I can't get already created playlist descriptions to update. Everytime I try to save an update to the playlist it reverts back to the original description. I've tried on multiple devices / accounts and I can't get things to update. 

It looks like this issue has been reported before but is still unresolved (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Playlist-description-won-t-update/m-p...

14 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Playlist description not updating

Spotify Legend

Hey @missmccallkay.

Thanks for getting back to us.

It can take a few hours for the description to update. Have you tried updating the description and checking back the next day?

A quick reinstallation could also help. You can read here how.

Hope it will help! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Sorry, but this ist not a solution at all - it's just another description of the problem.

Why Spotify still doesn't solve it, years after it was reported?

Casual Listener
Yep, mine is doing the same thing right now and it's a huge nightmare as I'm about to launch a new playlist. reinstalling sounds brutal since it would probably wipe out saved to disk playlists.
Highlighted

Casual Listener
Did you manage to fix it? It's really annoying
Highlighted

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall instead of the regular reinstall? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. It'll also get you the latest version of Spotify. This usually tends to solve issues like the one you're experiencing.

After the clean reinstall simply restart your device. Then try updating the playlist description once again.  

You can get your downloaded music back once the clean reinstall is complete. Here you can find more info on how to do that. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

IvanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
“Music is the strongest form of magic.” Marilyn Manson
Highlighted

Casual Listener

Hey Ivan, 

I did both a reinstall and a clean install of Spotify trying to get playlists to update; however, this doesn't solve the underlying problem which seems to be with how the data is sent and received from the server (specifically the update request). 

Perhaps the playlist description change takes a while to propagate to the server? This could make it seem like the update didn't go into effect when it makes a request for the description upon switching from one playlist back to the updated. The reason I think this is because sometimes when I come back the next day to check the description, the playlist will be updated to the new description. Perhaps the old description gets cached? Not sure what the exact issue is but there seems to be a delay in the update that makes it seem like there is a problem with updating entirely (which is why so many people are having this issue).  

Highlighted

Hey @missmccallkay,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Can you confirm that this also happens when you create a new playlist and try updating the description?

If not, then it might be an issue with the individual playlist - in this case, we recommend creating a new playlist and copying all your songs over.

If it's happening no matter which playlist you're trying to rename, do you mind trying the above, only this time:

• log in on a different device, but using the same account

Let us know how you get on!

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

March 2020 and this is still an outstanding issue.... pretty frustrating

Highlighted

Hi! I was having the same really frustrating issue for a long time. I can't guarantee this will work forever, but it is working for me right now. When you make the edit and press save, then download the playlist. 
I'm hoping that eventually I can un-download the playlist and free up space, but this seems to be working now.
SUGGESTED POSTS