NEXT STEP

Playlist description not updating

Solved!

Playlist description not updating

Premium Family Plan - USA

Device - Macbook Pro 2018

Operating System - macOS Mojave v. 10.14.4

My Question or Issue

I can't get already created playlist descriptions to update. Everytime I try to save an update to the playlist it reverts back to the original description. I've tried on multiple devices / accounts and I can't get things to update. 

It looks like this issue has been reported before but is still unresolved (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Playlist-description-won-t-update/m-p...

25 Replies

Hey there folks,

Thanks for bringing this up with the Community!

In order to investigate this further we'll need some more info form you:

• Device model and OS version
  • Spotify app version
  • It'd be great if you can try logging in with a friend's account and tell us if you experience the same behavior.
  • Does this happen both on Wi-Fi and Mobile data.

On another note @So2002, could you tell us if you've tried any of the mentioned solutions like relogging, and performing a clean reinstall or using another network.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies. 

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@Alex Yes, I have tried all of those things you have mentioned: relogging, clean reinstalling, and trying different networks. 

My model: Macbook Pro, late 2018

Spotify version on my laptop: Version 1.1.41.634.gc2c73ca7

Yes, this happens both on wifi and mobile data. 

Hope this helps! 

Hey @So2002,

Thanks for the info.

Could you also let us know if this happens some times or every time you try to update the description? Let us know how long it usually takes for the info to sync if it does eventually.

Sometimes it takes time for the app to sync with the servers. Downloading the playlist forces the sync process.

We'll be waiting for your next reply 🙂

AlexModerator

Hi @Alex

It happen most of the times, and even if it works, it's most likely temporary: even when I am able to change the description, it usually goes back to showing my old one in a day or so. 

I cannot say how long it takes to update the descriptions since, for example, my playlist from august has been reverting to the first description I put at the beginning of the month, despite the fact that I have changed it multiple times after setting the first description. However, for the playlist that I made yesterday, the descriptions have been updated immediately. It's very inconsistent.

Hey @So2002,

Thanks for the info.

We've reported this to the right team and it appears that it's expected behavior for the playlist description to not update instantaneously across all platforms. 

If the description is reverting back to a previous state, we recommend you wait longer without changing it while it's syncing. You can also try to update the description using the web player for faster results.

Hope you find this helpful 🙂

AlexModerator

That kind of fits in with what i've experienced, but it's definitely hit and miss. The thing about revisions to playlist description "sticking" better if you do it on the web player rather than the desktop app comes as a surprise. I'll have to try that to see if it's easier than my current workaround: copy tracks to new playlist with same name; add revised description to new playlist; delete old one.

Suggested posts