Solved!

Playlist description not updating

missmccallkay
Casual Listener

Premium Family Plan - USA

Device - Macbook Pro 2018

Operating System - macOS Mojave v. 10.14.4

My Question or Issue

I can't get already created playlist descriptions to update. Everytime I try to save an update to the playlist it reverts back to the original description. I've tried on multiple devices / accounts and I can't get things to update. 

It looks like this issue has been reported before but is still unresolved (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Playlist-description-won-t-update/m-p...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

sarahrj-us
Hi! I was having the same really frustrating issue for a long time. I can't guarantee this will work forever, but it is working for me right now. When you make the edit and press save, then download the playlist. 
I'm hoping that eventually I can un-download the playlist and free up space, but this seems to be working now.

View solution in original post

25 Replies

So2002
Casual Listener

Same here. I'm using a late 2018 MacBook Pro (macOS Catalina 10.15.6), and I'm on the latest Spotify desktop version as of right now. Descriptions aren't updating on my mbp only; I see the new description on my iPhone and Browser version of Spotify just fine. I really really want this issue resolved; it may not seem like a big deal, but it's super annoying to not see your descriptions update real time. Please fix it soon, especially since it seems like this issue hasn't been addressed in quite a while. 

Alex

Hey there folks,

Thanks for bringing this up with the Community!

In order to investigate this further we'll need some more info form you:

• Device model and OS version
  • Spotify app version
  • It'd be great if you can try logging in with a friend's account and tell us if you experience the same behavior.
  • Does this happen both on Wi-Fi and Mobile data.

On another note @So2002, could you tell us if you've tried any of the mentioned solutions like relogging, and performing a clean reinstall or using another network.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies. 

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

So2002
Casual Listener

@Alex Yes, I have tried all of those things you have mentioned: relogging, clean reinstalling, and trying different networks. 

My model: Macbook Pro, late 2018

Spotify version on my laptop: Version 1.1.41.634.gc2c73ca7

Yes, this happens both on wifi and mobile data. 

Hope this helps! 

Alex

Hey @So2002,

Thanks for the info.

Could you also let us know if this happens some times or every time you try to update the description? Let us know how long it usually takes for the info to sync if it does eventually.

Sometimes it takes time for the app to sync with the servers. Downloading the playlist forces the sync process.

We'll be waiting for your next reply 🙂

AlexModerator

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

So2002
Casual Listener

Hi @Alex

It happen most of the times, and even if it works, it's most likely temporary: even when I am able to change the description, it usually goes back to showing my old one in a day or so. 

I cannot say how long it takes to update the descriptions since, for example, my playlist from august has been reverting to the first description I put at the beginning of the month, despite the fact that I have changed it multiple times after setting the first description. However, for the playlist that I made yesterday, the descriptions have been updated immediately. It's very inconsistent.

Alex

Hey @So2002,

Thanks for the info.

We've reported this to the right team and it appears that it's expected behavior for the playlist description to not update instantaneously across all platforms. 

If the description is reverting back to a previous state, we recommend you wait longer without changing it while it's syncing. You can also try to update the description using the web player for faster results.

Hope you find this helpful 🙂

AlexModerator

delysid23
Music Fan
That kind of fits in with what i've experienced, but it's definitely hit and miss. The thing about revisions to playlist description "sticking" better if you do it on the web player rather than the desktop app comes as a surprise. I'll have to try that to see if it's easier than my current workaround: copy tracks to new playlist with same name; add revised description to new playlist; delete old one.

sarahkvm
Casual Listener
okay so i logged into a different account on a web browser (not the app) and i check my playlists, most of the covers have updated for me but it just doesn't seem to work in the actual application lol its so frustrating

katiesarah00
Visitor

I am having the same f*cking problem and it is now almost july in 2020. wth spotify?!!

sunnya

This is not a solution, because the problem is about the apps. However, I would say that those upthread could confirm that the changes they're making are taking place by checking in the browser player. I found this thread because I'm having the same problem (while simultaneously cross-checking with mobile, and finding that the changes exist and then disappear nearly immediately after appearing there) and just had the thought to use the web player to check them out. The most recent versions of the three playlist descriptions I changed did appear! Two of the playlists are new playlists I created just today, and one is a playlist I have been using since November 2016. 

lolchans
Casual Listener

March 2020 and this is still an outstanding issue.... pretty frustrating

Solution!

sarahrj-us
Hi! I was having the same really frustrating issue for a long time. I can't guarantee this will work forever, but it is working for me right now. When you make the edit and press save, then download the playlist. 
I'm hoping that eventually I can un-download the playlist and free up space, but this seems to be working now.

View solution in original post

changbean
Visitor

Thank you so much!

lolchans
Casual Listener

Wow that works. So bizarre and specific. I don't know how you ever found this workaround, but thank you! Hope they fix it soon

Retronex
Casual Listener

This also worked for me (save then download). Embarrassing Spotify can't fix this simple issue after so long.

delysid23
Music Fan

April 2020 now, and the problem of playlist description edits not being saved persists, but seemingly improved because I'm finding it an intermittent problem.  Sometimes the changes I make to a playlists description ARE saved, and sometimes not.  Earlier posts about this problem didn't mention it being intermittent, so I guess this is an improvement.

It seems like time is involved, leaving a playlist open for a while after revising its description seems to help make the changes stick.  Also playing a track in that playlist seems also to increase chances of success. 

I haven't tried the dowload the playlist and then undownload it trick, but it sounds promising.

Still, these are all annoying and kludgy workarounds for a problem that should be fixed and still isn't, at least not entirely. 

It's particularly annoying because the description field usually contains specific details and reminders that are put there so they won't be lost or forgotten.  It's like if the ink you used to fill in your dayplanner faded and disappeared.  Very frustrating!

px7c0e9q-f_m
Casual Listener

Maybe you guys should be fixing bugs and introducing new features if you want increased sales and retention. This is a pretty basic bug to fix, but it's clear this company this doesn't care and more reasons to not spend money on this product. 

Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey @missmccallkay.

Thanks for getting back to us.

It can take a few hours for the description to update. Have you tried updating the description and checking back the next day?

A quick reinstallation could also help. You can read here how.

Hope it will help! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

ohrenweide
Casual Listener

Sorry, but this ist not a solution at all - it's just another description of the problem.

Why Spotify still doesn't solve it, years after it was reported?

Deafcat
Casual Listener
Yep, mine is doing the same thing right now and it's a huge nightmare as I'm about to launch a new playlist. reinstalling sounds brutal since it would probably wipe out saved to disk playlists.
SUGGESTED POSTS