Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

So where has my library gone?

Solved!

So where has my library gone?

Updated Spotify desktop client yesterday (about says v0.9.8.258) and the 'Library' option has dissappeared and been replaced by a rather useless and blank looking Your Music > Songs / Albums / Artists. Also I cannot star anything, a plus seems to have replaced the star. The Library was my goto screen on spotify as it contained all my local files and playlists....Spotify has rendered itself rather useless for me in 1 update, unless I go and manually create a library playlist which I would then have to manually update each time I added new music.

Please advise how to get the library back or a suitable workaround which provides the same functionality. Also, why the hell were users not notified of this big change?

219 Replies

The problem with this temporary solution is that SPotify will automatically update to the new release the next time you open it. I do not know if that happens in the MAC version, but it does in the Windows version. I was able to restore back to the library version, but as soon as I closed and re-opened Spotify it updated itself automatically to the non-Library version.

Here is something else I found out. There is a very small limit to the nuber of tracks you can add to Songs. I decided to see how difficult it would be to "reload" the songs (etc..) and was in the process of loadingall songs from my playlists and some sort of maximum was reached. I could no longer add anymore tracks to Songs. I had processed about one-tenth of my playlists. So the new appraoch will not even allow us to recreate the old library... We are through the lookinh glass now people...

La Rube: Naïve but experienced

@LaRube wrote:

The problem with this temporary solution is that SPotify will automatically update to the new release the next time you open it. I do not know if that happens in the MAC version, but it does in the Windows version. I was able to restore back to the library version, but as soon as I closed and re-opened Spotify it updated itself automatically to the non-Library version.

Yes, that's what I I thougt... this is too bad... I really hope they'll put back the Library feature in an update soon!!

All I want to do is listen to my local music and playlists at the same time.

How can I do this now?

Not a fan of this new patch at all.

@coolbreess I moved your post to the relevant thread.

My starred songs are on my playlist as are my local tracks.  However, my entire "LIBRARY" of songs is gone.  How do I recover that?  I am NOT happy that it seems to have gone missing. 

@KymberleeP  The old library contained your local files and tracks in playlists. You still have everything but not in the one place. I'm going to merge this into the relevant thread.

Have Spotify 0.9.8.286 now and starring songs is not possible anymore. I can fix this by dragging my new "Starred" playlist into "YourMusic" - "Songs" BUT it is not possible to add local files there.

This is massively annoying!!!

Why is it necessary to make such a change? Give us back the stars!!

It was very disappointing to upgrade Spotify to version 9.8.296 and find my entire library gone. Thankfully, any Playlists in the past I made were still there.  Spotify acknowledged I had a vast library but none of it could be found. 

So, here was my work around:

1. I uninstalled Spotify

2. I searched for previous versions of Spotify and since I trust File Hippo, I downloaded 9.6.81
     Here is the link if anyone wants it: http://www.filehippo.com/download_spotify/54493/
3. I installed and signed into the old version of Spotify and created two Playlists pre 9.8.296 A- J and K - Z

4. Dragged the music from my Library to the new play lists in smaller increments. It seems Spotify can no longer handle moving a large bulk of files.

5. Upgraded back to 9.8.296

Tedious, yes... I have over ten thousand albums and it took me about 20 minutes to move them all. But, now I have my Library back. I hope this helps anyone having trouble.

Deb

When I found out that my Library was gone I flipped out. So, I moved all my playlists into "Songs" and I'm satisfied except for the fact that my Local Files are still not able to be incorporated into "Songs".

My Library....or now "Songs" is my favorite playlist. Hopefully you guys can fix it so that my Local Files can be included as well....like it was with the previous Library.

Even if I manually moved all my playlists song to "Songs," I still can't do search like in the old library. 

I really hope Spotify brings back Library.  Otherwise, I have to go back to Itunes or Pandora.  I can't believe that they removed the very function that made Spotify my go-to place for music before.  Not happy with the new update.

You still can't search songs in your list unlike previous "Library" function.  The suggested workaround is not a realy solution, unfortunately.

I HATE thew fact that they removed the Library option, I didnt use it to play music, BUT I did use it to check just how many playlists, tracks and albums I had in my library every now and then, which I found really interesting! and no I am not willing to add everything in my entire library to the new my music crap, besides even if I did that would still not show me the number of playlists! And creating a 'Library'-playlist folder doesnt work for this purpose either! PLEASE Bring back the Library!!! You should be able to have it co-exist alongside the new Your Music shouldn't you?!!!!

I beleive the "fix" to install an older version will only work if you reinstall the new version every time you boot your computer. Spotify will automatically upgrade itself to the newer version when it  ends or starts again. I installed and older version and had the Library function until I exited and it updated itself.

If you have a different experience please let me know...

Thanks

La Rube: Naïve but experienced

I just installed the new version of Spotify on my laptop.  

Very nice and smoot layout I have to say but then I discoverd that "Library" was gone.

This is for me an extra reason to switch to Google Play when my subscription to Spotify is ended.

Current reasons are this bug: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Bugs/Android-Bluetooth-Metadata-is-not-transmitted/td-p/650386

And the fact that local music can not be played on other devices like it is possible with Goolge Play.

My idea about switching can maybe change when I get an automatic way to mix ALL music of my playlists AND  local files like it was done automaticly with the library.  That was actually the way I played my spotify music the most on my laptop.  It is also a functionality that I miss on the android app.

Adding my vote to this thread.

Library was the single most useful feature of Spotify. I also have hundreds of playlists.

The most common way of using spotify for me was to have library on random play. Simple. You should release a patch that autopopulates the Your Music section. Or at least add tooltips suggesting workarounds. Stuff like this just alienates people and makes the company seem arrogant and untrustworthy. Remember that a large part of our investment in this app is time. Who knows what else you might do to screw up audiophiles' listening experience for the sake of new marketing drives?

I also find the new colour scheme kind of dank. To be honest it stinks of corporate profits and trying to find new ways to push tacky new releases in a slick format. Considering cancelling after giving hundreds of pounds to a company that seemed to have some credibility.

Another library user here. For the way I use Spotify, the Library function is essential.

A possible solution is to have the option under Settings - choose between "My Music" format or "Library" format. Everyone is happy.

"Remember that a large part of our investment in this app is time. Who knows what else you might do to screw up audiophiles' listening experience for the sake of new marketing drives?"

This is a very good point. I am less keen on spending more time and energy on Spotify (I hate to think how many hours I've invested creating and organizing my library/playlists) if there is the chance it may change at a moments notice and everything I worked on is now gone. 

This last update has been a true pain in the a$$ for me.  I always use the "library" screen to create new playlists off of.  I no longer can view my local files.  So dissapointed with this new update.  I just went to create a new playlist off my library and now I have to go from playl

@Peter wrote:

There is also another feedback topic about starred being missing @mpj :

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/What-happened-to-the-stars/m-p/709237/hig...

ist to playlist to figure it out.  I hope this can be fixed.

I am really disappointed this function has gone. it was the main way i used spotify, listening to my full library on random. Please reinstate it.

As far as I can tell, the feedback to Spotify's removal of the Library feature has been overwhelming, and overwhelmingly negative.  Yet, Spotify has not fixed this.  In my opinion, it is now safe to conclude that Spotify does not care about its users and/or is just assuming we will put up with whatever they force down our throats.  

I can at least speak for myself in saying that they are wrong; I am not going to put up with it, and I am going to switch to another service.  Does anyone have any suggestions for another service that has similar capabilities to what Spotify had when it still had the Library?

Suggested posts