Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Keeps Randomly Stopping Mid-Song

Solved!

Spotify Keeps Randomly Stopping Mid-Song

The Spotify Service runs fine on my desktop and iPhone -- But when use it on my MacBook PC it keeps on randomly stopping and won't continue to play the song -- You can select another song which will start to play but it will randomly stop playing the Playlist again and again.

Any advice for dealing with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

For those having problems on Mavericks or Yosemite (OS X 10.9/10.10) try disabling app nap for Spotify.

After having very similar issues that only started after upgrading to OS X 10.10 (Spotify would randomly cut out every few seconds whenever it was in the background or on another desktop) disabling App Nap and then restarting Spotify seems to have stopped this occuring.

To disable App Nap for Spotify:

• Find Spotify in the Finder (from the dock right click > Options > Show In Finder)
  • Select the Spotify.app and Get Info by pressing CMD+i
  • Check the box for Prevent App Nap
  • Restart Spotify

Did the trick here so hopefully will help others with recent versions of OS X...

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Hi,

Have you tried a Clean reinstallation of Spotify? Might just be a slight glitch.

What Spotify and Mac OSX are you using? Any error messages?

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

This could also be just networking issues. Have you tried with an offline playlist?

I've also had similar problems in Linux and fixed it by updating the sound server (pulseaudio). Could be something like that on macs too perhaps?

I have Mac OS X 10.7.5 -- I will try Clean Reinstallation.

Where are these folders located?

Manually delete these folders:

• ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify

Having the same problem and I have a MacBook Pro, running OS X 10.9.3 - might try updating and see if it helps.

Same problem here. It's become unusable after Yosemite. It pauses on the client and the website. My only option is to cancel I guess. 

@tedhogan - The client and website use two completely different technologies for streaming, which makes me wonder is this a Spotify issue or an issue with the new OS X.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

For those having problems on Mavericks or Yosemite (OS X 10.9/10.10) try disabling app nap for Spotify.

After having very similar issues that only started after upgrading to OS X 10.10 (Spotify would randomly cut out every few seconds whenever it was in the background or on another desktop) disabling App Nap and then restarting Spotify seems to have stopped this occuring.

To disable App Nap for Spotify:

• Find Spotify in the Finder (from the dock right click > Options > Show In Finder)
  • Select the Spotify.app and Get Info by pressing CMD+i
  • Check the box for Prevent App Nap
  • Restart Spotify

Did the trick here so hopefully will help others with recent versions of OS X...

Thank you so much. That appears to have worked! It makes sense now that I think about it. I knew it must be something with OS X, but just didn't have the desire to investigate and saw no way to obtain support from Spotify. You just saved Spotify from losing a paying customer, I had cancelled. 

I had the dropout problem after installing Yosemite and can confirm that enabling the "Prevent App Nap" function as described above, then restarting Spotify.app fixes the problem.  No clean install was needed.

This is nowhere to solve the problem I have. Every song I listen stops after 15-40 seconds. Tried deleting the cash and also enabling App Nap prevention. Still the outcome is the same. Well, it does not seem to be worth the money.

surprising not more people seem to have the issue, went through every other possibility before thinking of appnap...thx!

Hi Anthony,

Got an intersting one for you, or not. Spotify on a macbook Air running the latest greatest, through Airfoil to 2 steroes; outside one and inside. Live in Spotofy Prem, love it, but it is now cutting out. Random, starts then is common, what I have tried;

Pausing it, seems to work for a while. So is that a mac buffing problem?

appnap turned off on Airfoil and couldn't find it in info for the Spotify app

Different wifi running the same set up (hoilday place vs home base), same problem, therefore not wifi or internet?

App cleaned ie deleted spoitfy, down loaded it again and re installed, no good.

Same for Airfoil, no good

restarted everything, no good

Some forums pointed to the Statistic view in Airfoil, I couldn't find that but have the staistics info from our Activity Monitor, and 11% CPU consumption, looks OK doesn't it.

Random afflection, runs good then just starts stopping.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jamie

What about for android, my music keeps stopping during a song or when it goes to the next song. The only way to play the song that stopped is by opening the app, pressing pause and play. I have to do this all the time and is annoying

I had the same problem and this worked for me. Thanks!

Suggested posts