Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify constantly crashes on my MAC

Solved!

Spotify constantly crashes on my MAC

Hi,

I have reinstalled and deleted all the cache files but Spottily keeps crashing on my MAC. Im not able to open the application. Im paying for the Premium service, so not quite happy for paying for something that simply does not work. Any ideas or suggestions? Im currently running on Mac OS X Ver. 10.6.3

Many thanks for your support.

Cheers,

MV

79 Replies

Hey wanderingqa, welcome to the Community. Can I ask which version of the app you're running? We just released a new version today.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Hi

Point me to it and I'll try it. I re-downloaded the one on the site after deleting my previous version as some other community members hve suggested. Still didn't work! 

The one on our site at www.spotify.com/download is the latest version but we only put it up yesterday. Is that the one you're on?
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Joining the chorus of dissatisfied customers here. Latest Spotify (upgraded when prompted the other day), 2007 iMac, OS X Lion fully updated to the latest version. For a week or so now it seems impossible to make it through more than 4 or 5 songs without Spotify crashing. The music stops, you right click on the dock icon and there it is "Application Not Responding". Force Quit, reload and you're back in the playlist 30 seconds from the end of the song that finished playing before the crash.

Could just be me, but it ALWAYS seems to happen at the end of a song.

Not what I'm paying a tenner a month for - or will be prepared to when the Virgin Media year runs out, anyway.

i installed the new one but it still crashes. it hasnt worked on my mac for almost 2 months. this sucks

My desktop version just started doing it yesterday and I do pay the monthly for the highest tier. So frustrating. Crashes after about 3 or 4 songs (always right at the end of the song) then you have to force quit and restart. Upon starting back up, it starts off about 30 seconds before the end of the last song and then the play queue is all gone. Even tried to reinstall. Help! Mac OS X 10.7.4

2012-07-01 09.44.55 pm.png

I'm having the same problem, and have been for about a week now.

I'm not clear where the version number is on the website, but I'm running the same version as conasabi - 0.8.4.93 and it normally auto-updates, so I would guess I'm on the latest version?

I can't remember Spotify ever crashing until recently, now it is doing it every 30 minutes or so. As MikkyX says, it always seems to happen at the end of a song.

I'm on a late 2009 MacBook Pro running Lion.

Marked as solution

Hello,

Another thing you could try here -

1. Delete the entire folders from the following locations:
- Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/SIMBL
- [USER FOLDER]/Library/Application Support/SIMBL
2. Uninstall Spotify
3. Restart your computer
4. Install Spotify

Please also try removing these files if they're present.
/Applications/SpotRemote Server.app
/Library/ApplicationSupport/SIMBL/Plugins/SpotifyRemotePlugin.bundle

To bring up the Library folder in OSX Lion just open the Finder, hold alt and press Go. It will then be shown in the list of locations.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Im having the same problem... macbook pro OSX LION 10.7.4

Everything was perfect until about 2/3 weeks ago. I'm on the latest version of osx and the latest version of spotify. I'm also paying for premium which makes it more frustrating.

It seems to only be my playlists that crash however. Sometimes the whole application crashes and I have to force quit and restart which is annoying to have to do every half an hour which is about how frequent it's happening, sometimes it just stops and won't allow me to play certain songs that I was previously able to play with no problem like they are silent. It's almost like it's blocking songs I've listened to too much or something?

This only seems to have started happening since I rearranged the order of my playlists but on the same day I think I did a spotify update.

Anyway - I'm giving this fix a try but really shouldn't this be rectified with a software update???

Thanks

I tried the steps listed below and still no resolve. Thank you for the info though. Maybe it will help in some cases?

@David wrote:
Hello,

Another thing you could try here -

1. Delete the entire folders from the following locations:
- Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/SIMBL
- [USER FOLDER]/Library/Application Support/SIMBL
2. Uninstall Spotify
3. Restart your computer
4. Install Spotify

Please also try removing these files if they're present.
/Applications/SpotRemote Server.app
/Library/ApplicationSupport/SIMBL/Plugins/SpotifyRemotePlugin.bundle

To bring up the Library folder in OSX Lion just open the Finder, hold alt and press Go. It will then be shown in the list of locations.

I'm still having this problem. In fact, after installing the most recent update of Spotify yesterday, the crashing seems worse - around every 30 minutes now instead of every few hours. This is not acceptable.

I am now cancelling my paid for subscription until this issue is resolved.

I've tried the steps suggested by 

I've tried the steps suggested by 

Not that I think this will actually solve your problems, since it hasn't anyone else's, but system files are quite often hidden, you have to choose to unhide them, so that could be why you couldn't see the files. Not sure how to do that with normal finder (I have a replacement for finder installed so it won't be the same), but you should be able to google instructions.

Thanks for the suggestion Astano, but I was doing it all through the Terminal using Show All (-a), so I'm fairly sure they weren't just hidden.

It seems to be a similar problem to one of the other threads going on at the moment:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Spotify-crashes-after-playing-a-few-songs/td-p/93199

It seems to consistently happen towards the end of songs, so I wondered whether it was something to do with not having connectivity - presumably it tries to start pre-loading the next track just before the end of the current song, so if there was an issue there, it might trip out. I'm using Available Offline playlists though, with the same result.

I have the same problem that MikkyX among others describes.

- Spotify stops responding about 30 seconds towards the end of a song

- It is not possible to quit the application normally as the whole application freezes up, so have to force-quit every time and restart the spotify app This happens around every 30 minutes or so.

-Thought it had something to do with switching over to local files, but have removed all of those and the problem is still there.

- I'm on Spotify 0.8.4.93.gd9f49c35 on a Macbook Pro running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

I have spoken to my little sister who also experiences the same problem on her Mac.

This all started after the most recent upgrade!

We have both tried to reinstall spotify several times, the latest of them today but the problem persists!

Both of us are also paying for Premium, but are now joining the chorus of voices dissatisfied with having to pay for something that doesn't work!

Please fix this!

Same problem here,  same version, help !

I have the same problem as the others. Crashes near the end of a song, especially if I am showing a different playlist than I am playing, or clicking on anything in the ap at the time a song is ending.

Also, just generally slow since the last update. Clicking on any artist name or the like will cause the spin wheel to come up for 10 seconds before making the switch.

This is happening on both home and work computers (OS 10.6.8) and started immediately after the last update.

Same crash problems here. I just write this so the amounts of complaints cluster up, and thereby, hopefully, speeds up the fixing process.

Same problem here. I hope we reach a critical mass of complainers for the problem to get addressed by the Spotifoids.

I wish I had seen this thread before I upgraded to the latest spotify this morning.   Crashing about every third or fourth song near the end of the song.  

Suggested posts