Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify free: Music stops on MAC

Solved!

Spotify free: Music stops on MAC

Edited: Thank you very much everyone for helping! Finally I managed to correct the error and the steps are those that DerpyNerd offered and highlighted as a solution.

Hi!

I have a MacBook Pro, and for a week now I have a problem with the desktop app. It only plays about 7 seconds of the songs, and then it stops. I already tried installing and uninstalling, deleting the cache folder and so on, but nothing works.

Something also strange is that from any browser I can access the web platform: https://open.spotify.com/browse

I appreciate the help!

Plan Free

Country Argentina

Device Macbook Pro

Operating System MacOS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yup, it started happening to me too.

I took it to the extreme by doing all of the following:

- Uninstalled the app
- Deleted all preferences / caches using finder or terminal:

rm -rf ~/Library/**/*spotify*

- Reinstalled the app
- Set streaming quality to normal
- Disabled show low local files and removed all locations
- Moved local files storage location

This didn't work for me but it might work for you so give it a shot.

EDIT

I forgot I had a few rules in my hosts file for... various... reasons 😕 
- I edited my hosts file

# Location: /etc/hosts
# Comment or remove all rules containing:
#*.spotify.com.*

All my music is playing without interuptions now... I'll edit my post later if it's a false-positive 😛

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Hi! I have the same exact problem. When I listen a song it only sounds for 7 seconds and then it stops. Did you find a solution for this problem? Because I also try to do a lot of things but any of them works. 

Thank you!

No, nothing so far. I'm still looking for the solution.

What version are you using?

Please check your hosts file for ip addresses that might prevent Spotify.

- Go to /private/etc/hosts file.

If there are any ip addresses like 127.0.0.1 open.spotify.com, comment or remove them

- Log out from Spotify and clear cache: /Library/Caches/com.spotify.client/Storage/

- Restart your Mac

if that doesn't solve the issue reinstall it.

I had a similar problem with on my mac. However, I know that my mac is old and my harddrive is slow. When I continued a song from last time Spotify was open, the app would spot at like 10 seconds.

My problem probably came down to Spotify thinking it had the song chached but hadn't or reading it was too slow.

My workaround is/was to always restart the song if I want to continue to listen to it, so that Spotify hopefully fetches it instead of reading it from disk.

However, if this doesn't fit your case or it persists, I'd try to mess with hardware accelaration:

top bar "Spotify" -> check/uncheck the translated word for "hardware accelaration" from the menu

And if it still persists, try to uninstall Spotify and also remove everything it saved on your computer:

Finder -> "Go to" -> "Go to folder..." and type "/Users/{your name}/Library/Application\ Support" -> look for and delete the "Spotify" folder

I hope something might have helped you 🙂

I have the same problem and have done the same things tryig to fix it but it still does nit work.. Any solutions?

Same problem here!!! SO frustrating.

I can play spotify no problems on my Macbook

I can play spotify no problems on my android phone, BUT

I CAN NOT PLAY SPOTIFY on my Mac desktop which is running OS Mojave Version 10.14.4

I've deleted files, uninstalled spotify completely, logged out of the desktop version, logged out of all devices, still not better.

Plays some songs for 7 or 8 seconds, then stops. Decides not to play a song, then after trying again, will play..... for 7 seconds!! 
I love spotify, but am looking at alternatives now as nothing I do seems to be working.

Marked as solution

Yup, it started happening to me too.

I took it to the extreme by doing all of the following:

- Uninstalled the app
- Deleted all preferences / caches using finder or terminal:

rm -rf ~/Library/**/*spotify*

- Reinstalled the app
- Set streaming quality to normal
- Disabled show low local files and removed all locations
- Moved local files storage location

This didn't work for me but it might work for you so give it a shot.

EDIT

I forgot I had a few rules in my hosts file for... various... reasons 😕 
- I edited my hosts file

# Location: /etc/hosts
# Comment or remove all rules containing:
#*.spotify.com.*

All my music is playing without interuptions now... I'll edit my post later if it's a false-positive 😛

Hi! It works for me on my macbook! Now is loading and reproducing every song correctly!

I delete all the lines related to spotify inside de host file in my Macbook:

I follow this exact process from "viktorsky":

- Go to /private/etc/hosts file.

If there are any ip addresses like 127.0.0.1 open.spotify.com, comment or remove them

- Log out from Spotify and clear cache: /Library/Caches/com.spotify.client/Storage/

- Restart your Mac

I did that and it's working correctly, thank you so much for all the help!!!

I think spotify isn't optimised yet for 10.4.4. All of us are having the same issue. It's just lazy developers.

dude thank you so much! Finally got it working again!

not working for me.

I'm baffled.

I was having the same problem

hola bro encontraste alguna solucion ? soy de argentima me pasa lo mismo , podrias traducir la solucion para poder arreglar el mismo problema ? saludos

I had a similar problem. I realized it was caused by another app that was routing audio on my Mac. The App (called "Loopback") was OFF, but it was still somehow controlling the audio. I had to open it up, change the settings, and that fixed the problem. This might help someone else who has that app as well.

I don't know how to edit the host stuff and I really don't want to mess with it to much. Could someone maybe send screenshots from there mac or sum while. hiding the. IP

IVE GOT THE SAME ISSUE, can't seem to. fix it

Same issue, need help… Mac mini, OS X 10.11,

suddenly stopped playing , one album works for some strange reason.

this app is just so bad

has happened before, cleaned cache, reinstalled Spotify, no luck this time…

test

tests

i have this problem, but through the browser version (Chrome) - i don't understand the solution, plus it applies to the app

Suggested posts