Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Solved!

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Hey everyone,

As we're rolling out a new release of Spotify for desktops - v0.8.4 - we're keen to stay on top of any bugs that may have crept in while we weren't looking. We hate bugs.

So if you're having problems please use the following template to report them in this thread. This will help our top tech boffins investigate the issue. And then we'll be able to whip out the bugspray.

Don't forget to try a reinstall first! So make sure you're on 0.8.4 before reporting this to us (check under Spotify > About Spotify)

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

When and where the crashing or freezing occurs

OSX Version

eg. Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5.8

Did a reinstall help?

Yes/No

Has anything else helped at all?

eg. turning off gapless playback made it crash less often, etc.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Thanks for helping us make Spotify the best it can be.

Update: We pushed a fix to the most recent version of Spotify. So please try redownloading from www.spotify.com/download before reporting any issues.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
250 Replies

I'm going to assume if you have the local files you have iTunes or something like that. So listen to them there. It's inconvienant, but hopefully they'll fix it soon. 🙂

Description

Any time I play music through Spotify. Local files cause it to crash more quickly; streamed files can sometimes play through a couple before crashing. If I close the Spotify window I can get a couple more listens before it crashes.

OSX Version

MacBook Air (Late 2010) running Mac OS X 10.8 (Beta 4)

Did a reinstall help?

No, in fact, it caused me to have the non-syncing playlist issues reported on other forums.

Nothing has really seemed to have done anything at all; I tried toggling things on and off but no dice.

Yep, same problem here.

Mac OSX 10.7.4

Spotify 0.8.4.93.gd9f49c35

Random playlist of about 1000 files, including local files, and Spotify is crashing pretty frequently.

Hey guess what devs, I got a stack trace from gdb! Looks like it's waiting on a mutex lock. Quite possibly a bug when reading local files, but this should get you started:

#0  0x93d3e876 in __psynch_mutexwait ()
#1  0x9a7d26af in pthread_mutex_lock ()
#2  0x0003f7c5 in operator new ()
#3  0x00255652 in base::FROM_BE ()
#4  0x00255778 in base::FROM_BE ()
#5  0x0041a11b in base::TO_LE ()
#6  0x0040fe1e in base::TO_LE ()
#7  0x0040fef6 in base::TO_LE ()
#8  0x00225e8c in base::FROM_BE ()
#9  0x0022643a in base::FROM_BE ()
#10 0x002272f2 in base::FROM_BE ()
#11 0x00225ab6 in base::FROM_BE ()
#12 0x002253ba in base::FROM_BE ()
#13 0x0022552b in base::FROM_BE ()
#14 0x00225504 in base::FROM_BE ()
#15 0x0040d198 in base::TO_LE ()
#16 0x0040d15b in base::TO_LE ()
#17 0x00419b86 in base::TO_LE ()
#18 0x00256ab7 in base::FROM_BE ()
#19 0x000549bf in operator new ()
#20 0x004c4c37 in base::TO_LE ()
#21 0x0006476b in operator new[] ()
#22 0x9c50fd11 in -[NSObject performSelector:withObject:] ()
#23 0x9486ce0c in __NSThreadPerformPerform ()
#24 0x9c48713f in __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_SOURCE0_PERFORM_FUNCTION__ ()
#25 0x9c486af6 in __CFRunLoopDoSources0 ()
#26 0x9c4b09c8 in __CFRunLoopRun ()
#27 0x9c4b01dc in CFRunLoopRunSpecific ()
#28 0x9c4b0088 in CFRunLoopRunInMode ()
#29 0x9a432723 in RunCurrentEventLoopInMode ()
#30 0x9a439a8b in ReceiveNextEventCommon ()
#31 0x9a4398fa in BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode ()
#32 0x9763e0d8 in _DPSNextEvent ()
#33 0x9763d942 in -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] ()
#34 0x97639cb1 in -[NSApplication run] ()
#35 0x039a154c in cef_register_plugin ()
#36 0x039a0ffc in cef_register_plugin ()
#37 0x039c1ed3 in cef_register_plugin ()
#38 0x039c197d in cef_register_plugin ()
#39 0x03f77aaa in webkit::npapi::CarbonPluginWindowTracker::DestroyDummyWindowForDelegate ()
#40 0x03f71873 in webkit::npapi::CarbonPluginWindowTracker::DestroyDummyWindowForDelegate ()
#41 0x000f37f6 in operator new[] ()
#42 0x000675bf in operator new[] ()
#43 0x00062346 in operator new[] ()

Awesome. Looks like a lot of clues in there. Please fix!

I've noticed that Spotify hangs at the end of tracks in the Liked From Radio list. I don't have issues elsewhere in the app, but when I play songs that in that playlist, the app hangs.

It freezes on my MacBook Pro in the same manner.  At the very end of a song it hangs.  Very frustrating and it is basically unusable now.  This is not the level of service I expect to pay for.  It is very repeatable and I would think that by now a fix would be found and a release would be deployed to make the product back into a product.  At this point it is an application that produces irritation, not joy.

spotify freezes, has been happening for two weeks, when it happens i cant even close program anyone have any success with a fix?

For two days I've been having problems.

Description

Spotify plays 1 song from local files and then freezes and I have to force quit.

OSX Version

iMac running OS X 10.7.2

Did a reinstall help?

No

Nothing

I had the same problem — freezing upon end of track.

Checking “Hide unplayable tracks” helped (although there were no unplayable tracks in my playlists).

Best,

Anni

Description

After a local song has finished, the application completely freezes up.

OSX Version

Mac Mini running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

Turning off local files. 

As per a previous poster, turning off local files fixes the problem but... I wanna listen to those, you know?

Update.

Now freezing playing from Spotfy directly.

It made it thru most of 1 album (6 songs) and froze. had to force quit.

Hi, my Spotify keeps freezing, and I'm a premium member, It's very frustrating knowing that I'm paying for this service and it's not working. 

Description

The freezing occurs after every 3rd song on my laptop app.

OSX Version

Macbook OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No - I've reinstalled twice

The only thing that helps is to force quit, and restart... Then it just does freezes again after the 3rd song.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

When I go to the force quit menu, it just says "Not Responding"

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

After the conclusion of a song.  The Mac rainbow pinwheel just spins and spins.  The only way out is a Force Quit.

OSX Version

eg. iMac running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

I haven't run into it on my work PC as much as at home on my Mac.  Nothing I have done has affected it at all, though.

I'm not getting any messages/pop-ups.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

Spotify freezes after playing a local song.

OSX Version

MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

Turning off local files unfortunately.

Description

computer completely freezes sporadically anytime Spotify is running.  hard-reboot always required.  it doesn't even have to be playing a song.  sometimes it's idle when this happens.  i'll notice it stops playing music and know i have about 30 seconds to save everything before it completely locks and does the spinning wheel.  other apps such as chrome act as though my internet connection has been lost.  these things ONLY happen when spotify is running.  i have to resort to playing spotify from my ipad which is okay but has a much more limited interface.

OSX Version

Mac Pro running OS X 10.6.8 (network managed users)

Did a reinstall help?

No

no.  i've tried turning off all non-esential features such as gapless, local files, etc.

I am having similar problems with Spotify.  It will not play for 5 minutes after ONE song before resuming again.  I have also had the message, "Spotify has stopped working" a number of times.  Also,  I have tried to access my account from the playlist page but nothing happens when I click "Account..."  I finally logged in directly to Spotify and (just in case) tried to change my password.  However, I did not recieve the email that it claimed to send.  In fact, I tried 3 TIMES and, an hour and a half later, I still have not seen the email.  I check my Junk and deleted boxes.....no, dice.  I am not sure that I will be upgrading my account if these problems will be the norm.  But, if you can fix the problems............  

Description

since the last update (0.8.4.93) it crashes at the end of every song. please fix, I'm not going to continue paying 10€ a month for this.

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

turning off local files hasn't helped

I deleted the app, deleted the Libray directories it uses, then reinstalled from the website. The app worked fine for a few hours, now it hangs again. 

Description

After a song ends

OSX Version

MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display running 10.7.4 build 11E2068

Did a reinstall help?

No

Not sure yet, just tried turning off gapless playback... we'll see.

Hey buddy.
You seems to have a great hand with spotify. Hoping you would take one minute to help me.
Using spotify since start and its a big headace not been able to use it anymore..

Spotify wont start after login. The software freezes, and it wont start. NO clue what does this.

Had some trouble with rowmote app, which blocked spotify, but this is uninstalled since long.

Tried reinstall many times.

After opening spotify, the bar in top of the window, goes blank. just the apple to the left remaining..
What is doing this, some kind of blocking? Please help me with this.

In finder it says version: 0.8.4.93.gd9f49c35

Working on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.7.4
Best regards, Patrik Lindén, Sweden

Description

Usually after playing 3-5 songs.  The programme simply freezes, and if I click on the icon on the dock the programme does not appear - if I right click I get 'Application no responding'.  I have to force quit the programme, then go back into applications and open it up again.  It's infuriating!  Also, it does seem to freeze after reaching the end of a song, rather than stopping in the middle of a song.

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.4

Spotify Version

0.8.4.93.gd9f49c35

Did a reinstall help?

No

No that I have found so far.  I Googled the problem and came across something suggesting to delete files referring to 'SIMBL' or 'SpotRemote', but there were no such folders or files on my computer.

Screenshots - no messages/pop-ups, the programme just stops working

Suggested posts