Announcements

Spotify starting and playing music overnight by itself

Spotify starting and playing music overnight by itself

Kmills100
Visitor

Have a Family Plan under MAC OS Big Sur 11.1 using Spotify version 1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7.  Every morning when I awake, Spotify has started itself on my computer and is playing strange music that I have never listened to on the last speaker that I had selected.  The music is from artists such as JaxZin, Monikane, CarryRon, Lakizar, and Alinarox - I'm not even sure these are real artists or just some homegrown uploaded stuff.  The album covers for these artists all appear to be clipart. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 12.50.19 PM.png

I have reinstalled Spotify, changed my password, and checked every setting that I could find.  Even when I exit the Spotify application at night, in the morning, the application is on and the music is playing.  Pulling my hair out with this issue and I have noted several similar posts going back to 2014 on similar subjects yet none of the solutions appear to address the problem.

4 Replies

Re: Spotify starting and playing music overnight by itself

violet_tear
Visitor

Hi, I've just joined the community to report more or less the same issue. 

I noticed this problem on my Alexa device first as a few days ago it started to play random music I have never listened to in the middle of the night (artists like Tikki Tai, Cholosous, etc...) and you can imagine how it was to be woken up at 3am with strange music in the house.. I had to remove the device from the AC to be able to stop it as after 20 seconds the music started playing again on its own. I got in touch with Amazon customer care as I thought it was a problem of that device and once I disconnected Spotify, the device started to work as before (and I have not reconnected Spotify to Alexa since then). Today I opened Spotify to use it in my car and after 20-30 seconds of the song I wanted to listen to, here we go! The same playlist/songs I heard the previous night started to be played in my car with no possibility to return to my playlist. When I tried to skip a song, it simply went to the next one of an unknown playlist I could not see nor control. I was (and still am) unable to listen to the music I want to (and that it is frustrating having a Premium account..). Once at home I noticed that if I opened the app on my mobile, that same music (Tikki Tai especially) started playing on its own and if I stopped it, it started again after 20 seconds.

To the experts in the Community, can you please provide a solution for this problem? It is really annoying and it makes the use of Spotify completely useless as I cannot listen to the music I want to. I've already changed password and disconnected all devices and then reconnected Spotify on my mobile but the problem hasn't solved. 

Jeremy

Hey there @Kmills100 and @violet_tear,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. We're sorry to hear about this.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This is different than a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. 

If that doesn't do the trick - can you log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

Keep us posted. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

dertimaushh

Dear Spotify Team, 

Same issue here. Also on a Family plan and Alexa keeps playing randomly music at night - the same (strange) music as above - JaxZin this night.  

I changed all my passwords over the weekend and the issue still persists. It only happens to my Spotify account. My wife's account never gets affected - even though half of the Alexas are on her profile. 

Please help!!!!!

Running the latest Spotify app on iOS 14.3 on an iPhone 11Pro Max.  

Just checked my recently played list. These are the tracks from the last days / week that Alex started playing at night. 

Tracks.jpg

Ivan

Hey @dertimaushh

Help’s here!

If resetting your password didn't help we also recommend visiting your Account Page and clicking on SIGN OUT EVERYWHERE. Make sure you perform this action in a private/incognito window for enhanced security. 

In case you still experience the same after performing these steps, we suggest you head to this help page. Here you'll find useful tips on how to secure your account in case of unauthorized access. Additional info on how to protect your Spotify account can be found here.

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

IvanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
“Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
SUGGESTED POSTS