Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

how to mass delete playlists?

how to mass delete playlists?

i accidentally imported itunes playlists to spotify. how can i delete them??

25 Replies

Normally, when you import your playlists from iTunes, Spotify creates a playlist folder called iTunes, with all of the imported playlists underneath.  If this is the case for you, you should be able to right-click (or command+click) the iTunes folder in the left column of Spotify, and then select "Delete."  If your playlists were not imported into a folder like this, there is unfortunately no way to select multiple playlists and delete them.

one by freaking one it is thenWoman Frustrated

Yuck...sorry about that!  😞

It might be a little faster to create a new playlist folder, drag them in there one by one, and then delete the folder.  At least that way you won't have to confirm each one.

Nice workaround @jvanderb

Until we can multiple select then, thanks.

R! 🙂

thanks for this tip, it helps!  but i am so turned off to spotify right now.   i deleted the itunes folder but i've got double and triples of over 500 playlists.  really spotify?  you can't figure out a way to select and delete multiple playlists???

I agree that Playlist management (other than creating them) is terrible. I understand this is more of a problem for long-time users, which there were few until now. But just multi-select and delete is just following the Human Interface guidelines on Apple systems at least. And an option to turn off the confirm would satisfy me between release of more advanced features (like delete duplicate playlists).

Is that so much to ask?

Over a year and still no solution? It´s a shame!

for me, (Windows) I just started at the top, held right click, then held the delete key in. Hope this helped 🙂

Thank you @Megplaysguitar!

Worked perfectly!

@Megplaysguitar wrote:

for me, (Windows) I just started at the top, held right click, then held the delete key in. Hope this helped 🙂

• I just started at the top, held right click, then held the delete key in. Hope this helped 🙂

Amazed that this worked, almost seems like a bug since you don't get any confirmation windows. Thanks for figuring this out!

Ran it a few times.  Just did not delete anything. Kept saying 'connection error' in the DOS box.

@juniper7997 wrote:

i found this app that someone made for just this problem: http://www.developerdog.com/delete-spotify-playlists/

worked for me! 😄

We are talking about deleting hundreds of playlists. Not a few. So no, it didn't help, but thanks.

You are nuts. Nothing happens. 

@mron wrote:
  • I just started at the top, held right click, then held the delete key in. Hope this helped 🙂

Amazed that this worked, almost seems like a bug since you don't get any confirmation windows. Thanks for figuring this out!

@SWJ wrote:

You are nuts. Nothing happens. 

@mron wrote:

There was a version of the client that had a bug which didn't have the confirmation window so this may have worked in the past on that specific version. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@muddi wrote:

Over a year and still no solution? It´s a shame!

Now, more like three and a half years. OP was in like May of 2012, it looks like (can't see it now), and it's nearing the end of October of 2015.

Dear Spotify:

It's a setting of NSTableView, and comes FOR FREE when you use AppKit instead of trying to recreate the darn wheel every time. I swear, some programmers are just so stupid. Make the playlist view conform to NSTableView, and set var allowMultipleSelection = true ... really, this is so simple it's not even funny anymore.

So what u can do is click on a playlist click delete on the keyboard then click enter then click on a new playlist and repeat hoped it helped

@eliasjok wrote:

So what u can do is click on a playlist click delete on the keyboard then click enter then click on a new playlist and repeat hoped it helped

No, that doesn't help. In fact, that's exactly the behavior we're all just mystified is still the only way to delete multiple playlists: click on each one individually, delete it, then click on the next one, and delete it. It is mind-numbingly tedious, especially if you have dozens of playlists to wade through—many people do, since Spotify appears to have tried to import iTunes and other playlists multiple times. In fact, my Spotify has forty-eight playlists in it, because Spotify's logic for playlist import is fundamentally flawed; a problem I could rectify myself, if only there were a reasonable way to select and delete multiple playlists—which there's not. Hence, the current problem.

So, while your attempt to help resolve this vexing issue is well-intentioned, it does not help even a little bit.

This does not work. It only deletes the folder but moves all the playlists to the level above it.

Tried this but again, it only deletes the folder and not the playlists.

Suggested posts