Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

An error occurred. Please try searching again. Desktop issue!

An error occurred. Please try searching again. Desktop issue!

I cannot seem to search for artists or tracks, keeps telling me the above.

I can access an artist or the album if I have a track of theirs in my playlist, but cannot search using the search bar. 

Only seemed to become an issue in the past hour or so. I've tried logging out and back in, and I've also reset my wireless router, however I've had no joy as of yet. 

I'm not sure if makes much of a difference, but I'm a premium member. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

61 Replies

Heya new people that are still having this issue.

Have you tried removing all of your Offline Devices (via the spotify website - log in, and it's there on the menu)?

Spotify appears to limit the number of concurrent connections - and if you've managed to have Spotify think you've got too many devices connected, that may be what's going on for you.

After you've deleted them from the website, restart the app (maybe actually switch it to offline to force it to have to reconnect again).

As something to check - if you're connected fine, your name should show up on the menu at the bottom.  If spotify isn't connecting, instead you should see a number (which is your unique spotify id).

(edit - this is the same info I posted ages ago on this thread, it doesn't appear any of the new people complaining have tried it so I'm reposting.)

I've been having his same problem the last few days (7/8th September) but it seems only to be on 3/4G, on wifi it's fine. Searching for anything comes up with 'an error occurred' but anything within my albums/artists pulls through and plays fine although it doesn't allow further searching within the album/artist. Logging in/out and reinstalling makes no difference to the symptoms.

This is happening to me a lot and it's very irritating...

I don't know what's worse, the fact that it's not working, or the fact that the error message lacks almost every single possible detail that there's no way to troubleshoot it.

If we actually knew the error type (rather than just "An error occured") Spotify's users could actually send the error codes to the developers and help them debug this issue...

Yep, I'm getting this too. Doing my head in.

I don't have any offline devices in my account so that can't be the problem. Tried offlining the app and reconnecting. No joy.

Has this really been an unfixed issue for over a year?? Come on Spotify.....

Same here. Can't search for anything or start playlist from new artists. Very annoying.

Can't search!

Can't search too :'(

I am having the problem too, and am concerned that Spotify has been working on the issue for a long time, and still no apparent solution. I have removed / re-connected devices, re-installed Spotify, and still the issue. 

Spotify?

I started using spotift 2 days ago. When i googled this problem, I did not expect to see people have been complaining about this for 2 years already.

Can't search either... this is ridiculous.

Can't search, please fix. That's all.

Yes, same problem for me. Many bugs/probs the last weeks. After 3 Premium years, it's too much I find.

This is happening to me again this morning. Really irritating that the error is so terse. No error code or details. WHAT IS THE BLOODY ERROR SPOTIFY????

URGH! Im having this problem too! Lets hope that Spotify fixes it asap 😠

Same problem here.... very irritating!   An error occurred. Please try searching again.

And no error code!!!   Please Fix it.

This issue has started with me today as well.

It works fine for me now..... Thanks for fixing the problem. 🙂 

Fixed for me now. Thank you for such quick resolution.

Wohoo! Now I can go listening Lady Gaga! LOL

work now for me !!!!

Suggested posts