Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Application Not Responding

Application Not Responding

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Lenovo Lap Top

Operating System

Windows

My Question or Issue

Every time that I close my laptop and it goes into sleep mode, when I open up my laptop Spotify will not play any music or allow me to navigate to any other page. It ends up putting me on the same random song that isn't apart of any of my playlists. If I close the application and attempt to reopen it, I am presented with a pop-up that says the Spotify application is not responding. The only way that I can get it to work is to reinstall the desktop app or restart my computer, neither of which is a sustainable option.

13 Replies

I am having the same exact problem!!! It is so frustrating and I have never experienced this problem prior to about a week or two ago. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing with no change. What I've been doing is this: after I exit Spotify, I of course get the "application not responding" pop-up, I then open the task manager and it shows that the app is still running (wth?!) so I force close the application and I am then able to re-open and use Spotify normally. But this application freeze happens every time I put my computer to sleep, which is very annoying as I work in an office and put my computer to sleep whenever I walk away from my desk.

Warning pop-up message:

1.PNG

Task Manager (this is after I've exited Spotify... what the heck!!!)

2.PNG

I force close the one using the largest amount of memory, FYI.

I'm almost 100% positive that this problem started with the newest update to the desktop app.

I have the same exact problem...

As I'm alaso using it at my work, it get very frustrating to always have to manually kill the process like 10+ times a day.

Spotify dev, please fix this...

Also having this issue. Would be nice for one of the devs/support to look into this...

I searched 15 threads till I found this, and verified to be able to write here. Needless to say, I have the exact same problem - in work I get away from the computer like 20 times a day and lock it. It's starting to really pissing me off to open task manager every fricking time after waking up laptop, to kill Spotify process, to be able to play music?! This problem started just like that, I think in December, must be the latest update.  I tried reinstall, I tried deleting every spotify files in appdata, download latest updates/versions of everything in system, didn't help.

Can some dev at least acknowledge this problem here?

And don't even try to suggest using web/browser version.

THANK YOU

PS: Sorry for harsh tone here. I am very happy with Spotify, I am not planning to change the streaming service, but stuff like this are really playing on everyone's nerves, especially when this is going for several weeks now...

Really! What do we have to do to get Spotify’s attention when this is clearly a widespread issue? As you can see I originally posted this over a month ago and I’m still having to force close the application constantly -_-

GUYS! My app magically fixed itself out of nowhere today. Didn't even update the thing. 

I'd love to hear from the rest of you as to whether or not your Spotify is back to working normally again as well. 

Hi Emily, the rest,

I can confirm I didn't have any problem with it today, will see how it goes till the rest of the week. Although I think there was some update when I was opening the app yesterday or today.

If it will be working like a charm and I will not go to this thread again, thanks Spotify & devs!!! 🙂

Same problem. on Windows 10. 
I've been having this problem for like ages.
I've already tried clean install and the task manager thing a million times, and ive reached a point where it's becoming painfully annoying. I've actually for a while tried out to use the browser , but that's just not the same.
Please dev/support team can you have a SERIOUS look into this, it would be a huge salvation if every time I want to open the app I would not have to go into task manager and kill the open processes. 
Thank you so much! 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. We just came across this thread and we're happy to help.

In this case we suggest that your perform a clean reinstall of the app to make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

You can also try the following:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I've had the same issue as everyone else here for about 2 months I think. Spotify randomly not responding sometimes and always an error after closing and trying to open again. I've tried reinstalling and I've also checked the files as the mod suggested (there weren't any with spotify in the name)

Hey @ChefBigDog32,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

We'd suggest you try installing the app in Safe mode. If that doesn't help, it's also a good idea to run the app as an administrator. Are there any changes?

You can also send us a screenshot of the error message. We'll investigate this further.

Keep us posted! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,
Last time when I reinstalled it, I downloaded the app via the Spotify website. This time after I downloaded the app through the windows app store (as your link suggests for people who use windows 10). So far it seems to work fine and the error hasn't appeared anymore.
Thanks for the response 🙂

Hi again @ChefBigDog32

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're happy to hear that you haven't experienced the issue again.

If there's anything else we can help you with, don't hesitate to let us know. 

Have a good one! 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts