Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Artists removed from library

Artists removed from library

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada, then USA

Device

Every device I use - primarily Windows Desktop on 2 main PCs, also an iPhone

Operating System

Windows 8, 10, iOS

My Question or Issue

Artists who appear as followed on their page do not show up in the artists tab on my library. Frequently they will disappear after I have listened to their music from their page. When I follow a new artist, they sometimes but not always appear in my library. Unfollowing the artist and refollowing them solves the issue but only for the remainder of the session (once spotify is closed and opened again, the artist disappears). The issue occurs across platforms and even across countries - I recently moved from Canada to the US. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app did not solve the issue. Removing all app data from all PCs and reinstalling did not solve the issue, and updating spotify did not solve the issue either

13 Replies

Hey @charliebaranski

Thanks for reaching out to the Community! 

Could you send us the Spotify app versions for all your devices together with a screenshot of how the Artists tab looks on your side? Can you also give us an approximate number of the artists that you're following? 

We'll be looking forward to your reply. If anything else pops up in the meantime, you know where to find us. 

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey! Thank you for the quick answer and sorry for the delay. Here are some screenshots on my laptop that illustrate the issue well with one example:showing Arctic Monkeys as followed and in my libraryshowing Arctic Monkeys as followed and in my librarymy Library, where Arctic Monkeys are absent between An- and Ari-my Library, where Arctic Monkeys are absent between An- and Ari-

Here you can see that despite the fact that I'm following Arctic Monkeys, they don't appear in my artists tab. (If I right-click them, I get an "Unfollow" prompt too, so you're definitely aware I'm following) This issue repeats itself with many different artists, I'd say over a dozen. I posted this topic when an artist disappeared from my library after I listened to their music.
I'm following quite a few artists - I would say well over 2,000, maybe 3,000. My "following" tab says 4,249 but doesn't distinguish between artists and friends profiles, and I don't see a number in my library.
I am using 8.5.85.836 on ios, I can't find a version number on my laptop or desktop but I generally update every time it's offered, which has not changed the issue. It's consistent across devices.

Thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving! I hope I didn't unlock some impossible problem for you guys.

Sorry - on my laptop and PC it's 1.1.46.916.g416cacf1

Hey @charliebaranski,

Thanks for your post. We suspect the reason for this behavior is the really impressive number of artists you've followed.

Even if we haven't put an official cap on the amount of artists or profiles one can follow, such a high number can start causing data exchange and syncing issues. We appreciate your report about this behavior and understand how this might be frustrating.

We've passed it along to the right folks and although we can't say if and when exactly this will be fixed, we recommend that you always keep the app up to date with the latest version. That way you'll make use of all optimizations, as soon as they are made available.

For the time being, it might be worth to check if there're artists that you don't need immediate updates on and unfollow them

Hope this shines a bit of light on the matter. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Mihail Moderator

Thank you guys for the help, when Eleana asked how many I was following I figured that was it. I'll clean it up a bit and keep an eye out for a fix, thank you again!

Hey there @charliebaranski

Thank you for your reply.

We're glad to hear that everything's clear on your end 🙂

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi guys,

I am re-upping this because I've just encountered a major problem. After you told me my collection might be a bit buggy I have dealt with it just fine. I've had the odd problem but by and large the majority of artists I've added to my library have been there just fine.

However, I just received the new Desktop UI and was stunned to see that my collection of over 5000 followed artists had been slashed to a hard limit of 1000. Not only have I lost 80% of the artists I've discovered in the 8-ish years I've used the app, but I can't even go looking for them, as they are removed once I close and re-open the app.

It seems that this problem is not limited to me. This thread: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Your-Library/Artists-section-of-Library-no-longer-works-after-follo... is describing exactly my situation. 

I am really hoping this is a bug in the new update that will be fixed immediately, because if this is legit and I've just lost the overwhelming majority of the Artists I've found in nearly a decade of Spotify listening, I don't see a need to keep up my premium membership or even using the platform at all, especially when I'm limited in new artists I can follow. I use a similar system to catalog the 3k+ artists I listen to on SoundCloud and have never had an issue there.

Please let me know what's going on with this. A couple glitches because I have a larger library than most is perfectly okay. You guys deleting 4,000 artists from my collection is not. 

Hey there @charliebaranski,

Thanks for the reply.

We've checked with the teams backstage and it appears that currently users can see only up to 1 000 Artists in their Artists tab. This doesn't mean that the artists you've followed are un-followed. The full number won't be displayed in Artists to ensure the smooth running of the app, however if you search for the artists via the search bar you should still see that you're following them.

We know that this is something that will affect power users who've been collecting items in their library for years. We've been informed that this is being worked on, however we don't have an official timeframe for an update.

Hope this info clears things up. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

Hey Alex. Thanks for the answer. It's good to hear the team is working on it.

I do want to let you know that for me, the issue isn't as superficial as you make it sound. When I access the pages of artists I knew I was following before, they are clearly not listed as "Followed."

When I press the Follow button for an artist, it only lasts until I exit the app. When I re-open the app, they are removed from the Artists tab and not displayed as "Followed" on their artist page or in the search bar.

The only Artists I can see that show as being followed in any way are the 1,000 even that I was left with after the update.

This is a change from the last problem, where as you said some artists wouldn't show up in my Library but would show as being followed on their pages and the search bar.

This is the major problem for me as I have no way to retrieve all 4,000 or so artists I've lost and when I do re-follow an artist it is removed immediately. It seems that either on purpose or not, a hard cap has been instituted only allowing me to follow 1,000 artists at a time.

Hey @charliebaranski,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for the extra info.

We've made sure to pass it on to the teams looking into this. We hope there's a fix for it soon. In the meantime, make sure to keep the app updated.

Apologies for any inconvenience. If you need a hand with anything else, we'll be right here.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi again guys, you mentioned you're looking around for fixes so I thought I'd give you some information on recent updates. 

I just updated spotify and it seems to me that now artists I add to my library stay there with greater frequency than before. That's good as it means I can start the work of tracking down and re-adding the artists that the update removed.

Unfortunately those artists haven't been added back to my library and the correspondence between what's in my library and what says "Following" or has a "Follow/Unfollow" prompt when I right-click on them is still out of whack.

Though my profile still says I'm only following 1k artists, the hard cap at 1k that I had experienced with the new UI seems to have loosened a bit with subsequent updates, and adding new artists is less glitchy than before.

Hopefully this helps at least a little in identifying the issue and providing a comprehensive fix.

Let me know if you'd like any other information!

Guys, I don't know what you did but I updated Spotify this morning and it seems like this issue is FIXED! Thank you so much.

I'll play around and make sure there's no problems but seeing my library full of artists I haven't seen in years is a great feeling.

Hey @charliebaranski

Thanks for keeping us posted. 

We're glad to hear that things are now working for you. 

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here.

Take care.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts