Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Blank Black Screen after Sept. 2017 New Update

Solved!

Blank Black Screen after Sept. 2017 New Update

I updated when prompted to this morning and now I cant use my desktop app. I've tried restarting my computer, clean uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and all the solutions I could find on previous posts.

I have turned Harware acceleration off, compatability mode is off, and I have tried the %APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background "solution." Could someone please help? 

If nothing else, is there a way for me to return to the last version before this update that messed it all up?

32 Replies

I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM! What I did was I uninstalled steam and its game, then reinstalled it again and it never occured again. I was scared i though my video card was the problem, but steam was the problem.

well, i don't have steam installed so it seems your solution won't work for everyone.

i wish someone from spotify team gave us some insights on the issue and whether they are working on resolving it

I've this thread going to https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Windows-Desktop-App-Blank-Screen/idc-p/2288953#M5501...

Spotify are quick to take my cash but now a month since the issue started and they've released an update and guess what it's still not working, they need to fix it and update us or I feel it really will be time to cancel my subscription.

Marked as solution

I tried all the suggested solutions, then noticed that the Spotify installation was located in this area of the file system:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

This got me wondering if it was a permissions "thing" with the app trying to run from what is essentially a better-protected section of the file system.

I copied the Spotify folder from there to

C:\Program Files (x86)\ 

then made a new desktop shortcut pointing to spotify.exe in that location. Everything now works fine. 

I hope this helps people who are still looking for a fix. I realise that fixing the permissions for the program would be the "proper" solution, but I can't be bothered trying to work out where the conflict lies. If anyone wants to investigate, then fair play to them...

I confirm that this works! Thanks for figuring it out Blackhole128!

And not only it works, now i don't have to enter administrative credentials every time i want to run spotify (i am on a domain with restricted access)

Thanks again!

but I can have the install folder anywhere on the local machine and it will run fine, so I have mine on the root of the D:\ drive, all of these suggestions are not a fix but a work around, like I've posted spotify need to pull their fingers out and fix this and up up their communication to tell us what's going on, my subscription is due for renewal soon and I'm tempted to cancel because of the poor customer service spotify are giving(not) and look at other streaming services like google play.

Not one of these posts are solutions in the slightest, the one with the suggestion to download an older version is pointless because it updates it's self the next time the app loads, the only temporary work around not a solution is to install it where the app wants to and then move it from the network location to a local drive on the machine and it works, still annoyed that Spotify still refuse to give a time scale on when this will be fixed, there must be an SLA/Priority for it, again SPOTIFY give us an official response to this, I'm sick to the back teeth of chasing them on here and twitter and they give you zero information other than they will feed back to they're tech team, how about feeding back to your PAYING user base please, I don't think it's to much to ask, 7days left until my renewal day or possibly my cancelation date ?

Had this problem on Windows 10. Tried the fixes listed here, none worked. 

Took Spotify off the list of programs running at start up, and the music's back. 🙂

Get it together please, Spotify.

http://bit.ly/2vMxR6x

I was having the same problem *for weeks*. Moving the files to a local drive from the default roaming profile fixed it. Why can't Spotify write an update that allows users to select where to install the app? This would solve all these problems without the headache of diagnosing the problem. Just sayin'. 

Thank you so much! I had been struggling with this on my work computer for so long! This fixed the issue.

I can confrim this worked for me, simple fix thanks!

Hi tried your solution ,worked was really pleased then it went back to the black screen ??? you would think Spotify would investigate this & solve it once & for all . hows yours ?

Mine's still working perfectly!

It's a pity yours isn't any more - perhaps removing spotify and reinstalling then applying "my" fix again might clear the problem?

Suggested posts