Can't add local files to spotify app anymore

Plan

Premium

Device

(Winsows PC)

Operating System

(Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

I had issue with some local files not being able to load in the spotify destop app anymore. They worked previously, so there should not be any issue with the files.

I tried doing all tips I could find regarding this topic. Roughly in this order: clearing cache, removing and re-adding search path (Which led to the few files still loading not being found by the app anymore), Toggling local files and file path buttons off/on, confirming the firewall being set right, deleting Index.dat, reinstalling the program, getting the windows store version, deleting local-files.BNK

With countless of program restartart between the steps, and nothing works. How should I get this to work? It has been working before, why is it not working anymore?

11 Replies

Hey @randomrand,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

Great troubleshooting so far! Let's try some additional options. In this case, we understand you reinstall the app on the affected device; but just to confirm, did you perform a clean reinstall? If you haven't, we suggest you do it by following the steps in this article. By doing that the app can be up-to-date and you can make sure the cache is not leading to this inconvenience. You can find out the steps for doing it here. Keep in mind you'll need to sync your files once more.

If the above doesn't do the trick and in case you already uploaded your local files correctly and you're still unable to play them, it'll be a good idea to remove all the local files you've uploaded on the app and try downloading them again. Moreover, it might be good to create new folders with the files.

We'd recommend to give a look at this FAQ under Local File not playing? to double check if those files meet the requirements listed there. If this behavior persists, would you mind sending us the exact Spotify version you're running? 

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi again, 

I looked through the clean reinstall guide you sent, and that was how I did the reinstall previously. For the fun of it I tested again and it yielded the same results.

As I previously stated, I removed the files that were still working along with the non-loading files and that resultet in the app not finding the files again. I forgot to mention in the previous post that I also tried copying the files and putting them elsewhere, then add the new location to the local file search path. However, this did not work either. 

The files in question are mp3 files. They worked with the program previously, so I don't think we can blame the files.

The app version is the one you get from installing from your setup.exe. Just to be sure I downloaded a new setup file from your page. I also tried the newest version from the windows store. When looking at the properties of the installed program it says 1.2.5.1006 for the version installed by the setup.exe 

Hey @randomrand,

Thanks for your reply and for all the info shared.

At the moment, it's possible to download the app from both the Microsoft Store and our Web page. So in this case, since you installed the desktop app from the web page, try to uninstall that version and try installing the one from the Microsoft one to see if you notice any difference. 

On another note, we'd like to gather some additional info. Is this happening if you change the internet connection you're using? Is this happening over WiFi? Ethernet? Both? If possible, you can create a hotspot from your phone and connect your computer to it, to see if you notice any difference. Give it a try and let us know if changing the connection makes any difference.

Lastly, if you log in with another account, do you experience the same inconvenience? It’d be awesome if you could check. You can ask for the account of a relative or a friend to open it in the affected device and check.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

As I previously stated, I tried to download the app from both the Microsoft Store and your Web page. It did not make any difference.

I am only using ethernet, since my PC does not have a wireless network card. Should the network affect the ability for the program to find local files?

I tried loggin onto another account and turn on local files for that profile, but it did not work either.

Hey @randomrand

Thanks for your reply. 

Just to confirm, is this only happening on your PC or on other devices as well (with the same files)?

On another note, are the local files greyed out or you can't see them at all? Sending us a screenshot of what you're seeing on your end would come in handy. You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert image option in the post editor. Make sure not to send any private info.

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey Eni,

Yes this is only happening on my PC.

At first it was a mix with some of the local files i had quite some time where most worked and some became greyed out for some reason.

However, when I wanted to load in more local files they would not show up and when I tried to reload the directories with the files that did show up, they would not show up after reset. I was able to sync the local files that still worked to my mobile device before I tried the reset and they are still working on that device.

My Spotify is in Swedish, I hope that wont be inconvenient for you.

spotify1.PNG
spotify2.PNG

Hey @randomrand,

Thanks for your reply and for all the info shared. 

In this case, would you mind resaving one of the files using a free audio editor? There is no need to make changes to the file; you just need to open it and save it as a new file. Do you notice any difference?

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Hi again, 

Tested opening and resaving with an editor. I did not make any difference. Too be fair, I did not think it would make any difference anyway since I was saying that the files worked with Spotify previously. It is like the app for some reason can't find or read files properly when it could before.

Hey there @randomrand

Thanks for your reply. 

Would you mind checking if the same happens on a different PC? 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I managed to install spotify on an old linux laptop I have, and when testing with my files there, it works fine. I dont have another windows PC so I cant test that.

Hi there @randomrand,

Thanks for the info. Consider trying the following:

• Disable Hardware Acceleration (can be found in the Spotify app settings)
  • Run the program as administrator and try compatibility modes for various older Windows versions
  • Boot your PC into safe mode and see if that has any effect

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts