Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't delete from local files

Solved!

Can't delete from local files

I have an issue with duplicates that I was trying to slove by changing where the music was pulled from but when I unchecked all of the folders that are sources of music for my local files under settings none of the songs were removed. Any idea on why spotify is pulling music from folders I told it not too?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okay here are two troubleshooting tactics that could work: You will have to delete your local-files cache. Just follow the guide below.

Close Spotify
Navigate to "%appdata%\Spotify\Users\" in your file browser.
There should be a folder "username-user" - enter the folder.
Delete the file named "local-files.bnk"
Start Spotify

If this does not work try reinstalling Spotify. See if these solve your issue.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hello @Ceruff,

Have you tried restarting the application to see if this would update Spotify?

Hey @phan_times,

Several times. It has been an issue for a few months.

Marked as solution

Okay here are two troubleshooting tactics that could work: You will have to delete your local-files cache. Just follow the guide below.

Close Spotify
Navigate to "%appdata%\Spotify\Users\" in your file browser.
There should be a folder "username-user" - enter the folder.
Delete the file named "local-files.bnk"
Start Spotify

If this does not work try reinstalling Spotify. See if these solve your issue.

The local files function has been completely ruined in more recent spotify versions from my experience. Everything is "locked" so you can't edit the information or link/unlink songs to ones in the database and you also can't just drag and drop them like we could in the past. And as this thread points out, we can't delete them either.

My solution is to either adjust to the new versions (and save the files you wanna add in one folder and check/uncheck in the settings page). Or better yet, temporarily downgrade to an older spotify version where it's MUCH easier to play around with local files. I use version 0.9.15.27, google should lead you to a download of it. After you are done deleting/editing as you want, you can reinstall the current version.

Suggested posts