Premium

Country

US

Device

PC/Roku TV

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hello, I have been having issues with the Spotify app on Windows 10 and the Spotify Roku channel on my tv for the past couple of weeks. I don't know if the two issues are related but they both started around the same time. However, I am more concerned with the Windows issue.

Every time I try to play a song, I get the message, "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

joker1213123_0-1635610952497.png

I have tried uninstalling as well as a complete uninstall, deleting the cache, changing some settings, updating my router and modem, and every other solution I have found online. The issue persists and it only happens when my computer is using Windows 10. When I switch to using Linux it works just fine as well as when I am using the browser to stream Spotify. I really love using this service, but if I can't fix this I am just going to switch to something else since I use my computer so often.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Appreciate the help, but I found the actual issue. I used to have Spotify go through a virtual audio cable so I can stream without the music being in the stream , however recently I disabled the cable in my sound settings. This left the app with nowhere to play to and thus the issue. Its very unique problem but for other people I went to windows Settings > Sound and clicked on "App volume and device preferences". There you can choose what audio devices go in and out of your app

joker1213123_0-1635869195381.png

The top dropdown used to be blank for me

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi @joker1213123,

thanks for reaching out !

I'd like to focus on the Windows 10 side of the issue you're currently experiencing.

This issue may be related to the sound settings on your Windows 10.

I would like you to check out this thread  and try the second solution presented.

If you change the sound settings to below 192000 Hz in the Control Panel Sounds, Advanced tab,  you should be able to play normally.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Marked as solution

Appreciate the help, but I found the actual issue. I used to have Spotify go through a virtual audio cable so I can stream without the music being in the stream , however recently I disabled the cable in my sound settings. This left the app with nowhere to play to and thus the issue. Its very unique problem but for other people I went to windows Settings > Sound and clicked on "App volume and device preferences". There you can choose what audio devices go in and out of your app

joker1213123_0-1635869195381.png

The top dropdown used to be blank for me

I don't know if my problem is similar to this or not... 

While I listen on roku i usually have my MacBook open and like to edit my playlists and choose which songs are playing from there. It works fine for a while and then seems to get a lag. I get that same message that you mentioned 'cannot play this...' but the song will usually play anyways. Then sometimes ends up playing different songs than what it says its playing (lagging). I have to restart the app on my MacBook and then its fine again for a while, but its a recurring problem. Any ideas?

Hey there @Len38

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

First up, we'd recommend logging out and then logging back in two times in a row. It sounds a bit odd, but it forces a sync between the account and your device. 

If this doesn't do the trick, you mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

In case the issue persists after following these steps, would you mind giving it a try using a different internet connection?

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Seems like that may have done the trick, thanks!

Hey @Len38,

Thanks for letting us know that everything is working fine now.

Remember to always keep your app updated, so you don't miss any fixes or new features. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have more questions.

Have a great day!

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts